• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central/Southern Plains Severe Weather Palooza (4/29 - 05/05)

Powerball

What a mess for chasing. I doubt anyone saw tornadoes unless they were right up close. And many chasers (and tourists) were way too close. Witnessed many chasers, including tour vans, fragrantly breaking traffic laws on the roads.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SmokeEater said:

Multiple reports the tour van was rolled with injuries.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Very disappointing to read. I've storm chased quite a bit growing up in Ohio with tons of open space and it really can be a fun time, just stay out of the precip and maintain a SSW angle to the rotation. This whole "zero meter" thing is absurd, tornadoes are big and can be viewed safely easily from 1-3 miles away

• Like 1

Watched Seminole live on the Ryan Hall Y'all YouTube, weird tornado, very large, but with what looked like a lot of fairly widely spaced suction vortices, and I could see through the tornado between the vortices.  It was doing damage, I saw power flashes, another chaser video, he or she was within a couple of hundred feet of power flashes and flying debris, or near/inside the circulation, but the wind at his position seemed weak.

Tornado tourism after dark, the Cloud 9 van, besides not being safe, how much do the customers see in the dark in open country in heavy rain?

I just got back to North Carolina but was on that Truscott/Crowell storm that eventually got the tour van. It was a difficult chase because of road options (or lack thereof). The chaser convergence once we got back to pavement in Truscott was insane. I didn't get the Tor most have seen pics/vid of but I did get the one before that while trying to keep up on the dirt road (240 I think). This was grit and determination for sure. I had no interest in "zero metering" willfully or otherwise. The one downside for me is I didn't get into a position to use the drone. Here are some pics:

• Like 3

On that same storm this was the rotating wall cloud prior the tornado pics I posted. Unfortunately my actual tornado video is useless as we were driving on a dirt road trying to keep up. I did edit some video stills from that though:

Tor1.jpg

Tor2.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...