Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

13 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice pics Cory. I haven’t heard thunder or seen any lightning either.

Thanks! Storm was pretty meh, but who needs damage when you are a homeowner. Would have a been nice to get a bit more rain, but we will take whatever we can get at this point. Windows wide open for the foreseeable future, hope it continues right into the fall!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

GFS Memorial Day weekend disaster.  Euro mid summer.. Interesting battle, both ensembles say GFS is on an island.. 

My personal hunch is, that will continue as we press further onward into/thru the warm season. Then, next autumn, GFS model performance will improve again. 

Lot of words to describe what is subtly, albeit importantly different between the GFS operational run and it's competing other model types:

As faster wintertime basal state geostrophic wind velocity, once again, proves it is the new paradigm during winters ... first creeps on during OND ... the operational GFS model then 'defaults' back to having that uncanny performance edge in that D6+ range. 

As an aside, I noticed all this and its knack for that, began during this era of more rapid version upgrades. 

Hypothetically:  10% better in performance, at that range, isn't saying much in terms of larger/super synoptic handling? No.  However, small movements with big objects can have ginormous impacts at smaller sub-continental/regional scales. But also, these small morphology matters to the behavior of storm genesis, as well a 'atmospheric logistics' with embedded features et el. 

This may be why over the last several seasons, the general voice has noted the Euro has faltered to the GFS more and more during outer mid and extended handling.   

In short, I believe it's because the GFS' speed biases - but here's the thing.  It's not 'right' per se?  Its error is being hidden by the tendency for faster overall hemispheres ... it looks right.  The old adage, 'right for the wrong reason'

The speeding tendency is a cumulative one - it grows out in time ( I have noted..).  By D6 ... 8, particularly in the winter season, it will routinely be some 6 to as much at 10 dm colder N of the jets.  That steeper gradient ...instructs the higher velocity. It's simple.  Something about it thermal dynamics of cloud and latent heat and UVM budgeting complexity in the NCEP's version of Navier Stokes LOL.  

But that model isn't necessarily going to stop attempting dump cold into vortexes, just because it is summer - necessarily. summer, vs winter.  It may not apply in this case with Mem day... I'm just op-ed'ing about it. 

It seems all the models are having difficulty with the -NAO mode change.  Dimensions of volume and timing ... I think if we -NAO, there's going to be a BD proneness, too

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Thanks! Storm was pretty meh, but who needs damage when you are a homeowner. Would have a been nice to get a bit more rain, but we will take whatever we can get at this point. Windows wide open for the foreseeable future, hope it continues right into the fall!

We did not have thunder, lightning, or rain. Just dangerous looking skies. Bust. Yea, everyone is out there enjoying this one today and more incoming. Spring.

• Like 2

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Mother's day was ruined... 

Now mem day weekend destroyed by the GFS... ? 

Starting last year, that makes all holidays destroyed in a relentless bad luck thing.  kinda interesting

was about to say .. that's an ugly look, Memorial Day weekend canceled :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If it’s wet it’s dews and storms with Ull well southwest of us. Humid south flow .. also possible it trends so far west we end up with ridging 

Can already envision someone thinking the weekend is fantastic if it’s showery at 69/68 solely because the dew is upper 60s… temp and weather be damned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

selling the "cutoff"...if that can even be characterized as a cutoff

yeeeah..   on the fence personally.

That weird cut off three weeks ago, that pinched at first as though it would stay E and spare, ...did that huge clockwise track spanning some 7 days...only to come back up the coast as a smearing vestige.  It also served as an 'inverted block' because the high pressure initially over Maine couldn't sink SE of the Cape.  It was sort of anchored in a position to keep us in an east flow.  Remember?  I mean it was like 4 dry but cloud days with drilling E wind, followed by 4 sunny but still drilling E wind when all that happened.   These inverted blocks happen too - 

This thing that the GFS and GGEM reverted to in recent run cycles, hint at doing a similar inverted aspect ... hold the high to a N position E of Boston.  That said, the cut off isn't anywhere close to the same frame-up momentum, as that big gyre back whence. 

The other thing, I've noticed this in the past with models over many years actually - they seem prone in the mid range to disproportionately drive surface responses from weak mid level mechanics.  The GFS has a single close 500 mb contour, ...filling at that, as it rotates closer to the MA.  Yet N of up the coast results near gale CCB coming into the Bite of NY.  

I don't know if that's really true - seems a bit too much of a response.   

48 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

GEFS, GFS, Canadian all trended worse for Saturday and Sunday.. I bet euro caves at 12z 

GGEM looked better to me - fwiw.  still ends up with piping high retreating E ...which isn't hugely warm, no. But it looks fair aloft