Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

8 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Welcome to S FL

Did that for 10 years . Enjoyed the first couple then I had enough of endless dews. Right by the water you often had a sea breeze by noon so you max at 91 by 11am-noon and then 89 and East breeze after that but 10-15 miles inland you roast mid 90’s for about 6 months straight with 75 dews.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure how we're doing this ... there may be a subtle d-slope aspect.  The wind's light and bouncing around the dial .. .but tending to average S here and at KFIT, both lower elevations than points south of us.  That little bit may be why they've pinged 89 and we have 88's popping around my town's home sites.  Seems we are 2 to 3 warmer along this strip of Rt 2...

It feels legit fwiw -

actually BDL's 88 by decimals. I think there's something funky about the C conversion to F at MESO Utah.edu though -

ah... moot point.  If there's ever a candidate day for a late high, today is definitely it.  Hot sun until 5pm this time of year, with these adiabats in place... 90 to 92 is certainly possible sprinkled around the area.

Logan..haha. 

Probably double conversion error which is common. Station reports whole °F which gets turned into tenths of °C for the METAR T-group, then web sites take the tenths of °C and translate that into tenths of °F. Station reports 87°F which is encoded as T0306xxxx in the METAR then some web site converts the 30.6°C to 87.1°F. You can always tell when this is happening because the tenths of degrees are always .8, .9, .1, or .2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Decent bust here.  87F for the high (assuming it doesn’t go any higher)

Even more of a bust here, we peaked at 84° and that was only for about an hour.  Swampy but tolerable.  82/69 in my yard.

The fact that the skies did not clear here until noon helped keep the temperatures in check.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, dendrite said:

Glad we don't live there. Although this post will get someone in Tolland very angry.

Well we made it guys. For all intents and purposes it’s summer.

This is a departure from my normal pattern. I usually vanish from this forum once the warm season is in force. I like Thunderstorms but those are little instant gratification perks to a day. They aren’t big, trackable, deals unless maybe if you’re someplace in Tornado alley and a super serious event is expected. 

Interior CT gets decent thunderstorms and in recent years you’re seeing them a little more in coastal New England than you used to I think as well, but this is just not Nebraska let’s be honest with ourselves.

23 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Probably double conversion error which is common. Station reports whole °F which gets turned into tenths of °C for the METAR T-group, then web sites take the tenths of °C and translate that into tenths of °F. Station reports 87°F which is encoded as T0306xxxx in the METAR then some web site converts the 30.6°C to 87.1°F. You can always tell when this is happening because the tenths of degrees are always .8, .9, .1, or .2.

At this point they're putting up 91.4 over sustained time at KFIT so...

Anyway, most sites within a couple clicks of me in the home network pinged 90 anyway - I think this and perhaps the Springfield area were the trophy regions for this day.

Tonight's going to be groin in the urban centers - probably 72 to 75s, not until the 4:45 am at that.  The kind of ramp up tomorrow where the atmosphere is so prone to rise, the mere day light prior to the dawn has it up a couple clicks.   Sun tips over the horizon and away we go.

I'm also wondering if we get more debris clouds spilling over the region by early to mid afternoon, so that may keep tomorrow from going completely Hades

14 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some nice storms firing up near Burlington VT and to the NE of there

Just got to South Burlington to pick up a few things from the “big city” ha…. But holy shit this storm was dropping some insane water.

I-89 was almost at a standstill and turning into a river.  Just like someone throwing buckets of water on your windshield.

31F0C779-E627-48FA-90CF-B74A0B0AB919.jpeg.b2ff927020d83b42b96fc97a39346521.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Wow-I’m 85/75 while Logan not all that far away is in the low 60s and fogged in.  GWDLT

The near shore fog bank just shifted abruptly ...now moving more parallel to the coast, S --> N as opposed to getting sucked in like's the Bay Area/SF  ...It was like looking at that classic pull through the GG gap, mirror opposite - coming into the Boston from our Bay.  It looked identical.  Meanwhile, out here in the "central valley" we're 88 to 92.

Anyway, I'm wondering if they get the 7 pm wind shift and T burst as the city farts -

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

At this point they're putting up 91.4 over sustained time at KFIT so...

Anyway, most sites within a couple clicks of me in the home network pinged 90 anyway - I think this and perhaps the Springfield area were the trophy regions for this day.

Tonight's going to be groin in the urban centers - probably 72 to 75s, not until the 4:45 am at that.  The kind of ramp up tomorrow where the atmosphere is so prone to rise, the mere day light prior to the dawn has it up a couple clicks.   Sun tips over the horizon and away we go.

I'm also wondering if we get more debris clouds spilling over the region by early to mid afternoon, so that may keep tomorrow from going completely Hades

Only the regularly scheduled hourly METARs report the temp in whole degrees F (the tenths of C conversion) in the remarks of the METARs. At FIT those are at :52 past every hour. So when you see them on Mesowest it shows up as 91.0° (raw METAR has 32.8C). The 5 min obs only report in whole degrees Celcius so when Mesowest converts the reported temp of 33C it converts to 91.4°. That’s why it appears to always be 91.4° with an hourly 91.0° over the last few hours. So when you see a long string of 91.4° like this it just means that the ob is 33C which could either be 91° (32.8C rounded) or 92° (33.3C rounded). We have to wait for the 6hr max (in tenths C) at 00z to know what the max was. Chances are FIT hit 92° with so many 33C obs in a row there. 
image.png

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Some decent velocity scans on this storm.

A1441A6D-06F8-467E-831D-2FE21289D347.jpeg.fff9499d4e4237fbc2792ce0f83a6d97.jpeg

Driving home there’s some pockets of straight line wind damage seen from the interstate on French Hill… right on the “o” in Williston.

That velocity max went right over that area and there was a large tree (looked rotted though) and debris in the breakdown lane but then in the median there were several healthy looking trees uprooted.  All facing ENE in direction.  Fresh branches broken off several other trees as well.

Must’ve had a decent little downdraft move across the interstate from WSW to ENE.

Found 0.33” in the Stratus at home… at least we don’t have to water the garden tonight.  Hasn’t been much watering needed these days.

• Like 1

I totally understand people liking warm, even hot weather. But why-the-f$!? does anyone like high dew points? You people enjoy ball dripping sweat all day? I honestly don’t get it. Dry heat beats swamp ass dew points by a mile…

Down to 67 here with the breeze. Quite pleasant! Only got to about 80 here but humid. Glad to be near nature’s air conditioning… was in Brooklyn CT for a party today for a few hours and it was 90!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Driving home there’s some decent straight line wind damage seen from the interstate on French Hill… right on the “o” in Williston.

That velocity max went right over that area and there was a large tree (looked rotted though) and debris in the breakdown lane but then in the median there were several healthy looking trees uprooted.  All facing ENE in direction.  Fresh branches broken off several other trees as well.

Must’ve had a decent little pocket of wind move across the interstate from WSW to ENE.

Found 0.33” in the Stratus at home… at least don’t have to water the garden tonight.  Hasn’t been much watering needed these days.

Looks like the slight risk was warranted up there. Report of 1.5” and 2” hail in northern NH along with multiple wind reports. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Just got to South Burlington to pick up a few things from the “big city” ha…. But holy shit this storm was dropping some insane water.

I-89 was almost at a standstill and turning into a river.  Just like someone throwing buckets of water on your windshield.

31F0C779-E627-48FA-90CF-B74A0B0AB919.jpeg.b2ff927020d83b42b96fc97a39346521.jpeg

Stayed north of here. I even got 9 holes in after 6:00 pm. Didn’t wear my ear buds though because with the look of the clouds I want to be able to bolt at the first rumble of thunder. Never came though. 

1 hour ago, bristolri_wx said:

I totally understand people liking warm, even hot weather. But why-the-f$!? does anyone like high dew points? You people enjoy ball dripping sweat all day? I honestly don’t get it. Dry heat beats swamp ass dew points by a mile…

Down to 67 here with the breeze. Quite pleasant! Only got to about 80 here but humid. Glad to be near nature’s air conditioning… was in Brooklyn CT for a party today for a few hours and it was 90!

Not many “dew” … not in here.

There’s one or two exceptions that laud DPs. Perhaps loudly 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Only the regularly scheduled hourly METARs report the temp in whole degrees F (the tenths of C conversion) in the remarks of the METARs. At FIT those are at :52 past every hour. So when you see them on Mesowest it shows up as 91.0° (raw METAR has 32.8C). The 5 min obs only report in whole degrees Celcius so when Mesowest converts the reported temp of 33C it converts to 91.4°. That’s why it appears to always be 91.4° with an hourly 91.0° over the last few hours. So when you see a long string of 91.4° like this it just means that the ob is 33C which could either be 91° (32.8C rounded) or 92° (33.3C rounded). We have to wait for the 6hr max (in tenths C) at 00z to know what the max was. Chances are FIT hit 92° with so many 33C obs in a row there. 
image.png

Rounding down only to have to round back up later just offers confusion. It seems pretty redundant and stupid but what do you get from an EDU lol