Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

31 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Hot Saturday, 103 at PWM, 102 at BGR, both all-timers.  100° at BHB just feet from water that was probably <60°.  We (wife, 3 y.o. son, BIL and his Hawaiin wife) drove from BGR to Gouldsboro where there were blueberries in abundance on non-commercial land.  Got there late morning and it was already blazing.  My wife and her brother hid in the shade with our son, BIL's wife had grown up in the pineapple fields and kept on picking.  So did I, due to stupidity.  Probably could've made jam simply by sprinkling sugar on the berries.  We then headed to Acadia and found a place to park by the water just south of Otter Cliffs.  Only 3-4' deep, calm, and the one and only time I've gone swimming in Maine salt water that was actually warm.  Sunday's forecast was for another 100+ day and our cheap apartment was roasting when we got home that Saturday, but then during the overnight came the most blessed BD ever - 70 and sprinkles on August 3.

Yeah “chilly Sunday “ was 40 degrees cooler.   Felt really cold after days of heat!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, radarman said:

Spent last week in Dallas during record May heat... 94/50 type stuff with a steady 20mph wind... this is already worse

My niece is going to a conference in Austin in August. She had a hard time with the heat in Charleston so I imagine she’s going to have a difficult time there

Okay ... unofficially crossed the uncomfortable threshold here.

86/67, full sun, zip wind.

I was standing having a discussion with a neighbor.  Beads of sweat on the forehead kicked in after about 10 or so minutes. 

I guess if you're driving down the road with the windows open it may not feel as hot, but it's still heat at this point.

12 minutes ago, kdxken said:

We have lift off

I'm not sure how we're doing this ... there may be a subtle d-slope aspect.  The wind's light and bouncing around the dial .. .but tending to average S here and at KFIT, both lower elevations than points south of us.  That little bit may be why they've pinged 89 and we have 88's popping around my town's home sites.  Seems we are 2 to 3 warmer along this strip of Rt 2...

It feels legit fwiw -

actually BDL's 88 by decimals. I think there's something funky about the C conversion to F at MESO Utah.edu though -

ah... moot point.  If there's ever a candidate day for a late high, today is definitely it.  Hot sun until 5pm this time of year, with these adiabats in place... 90 to 92 is certainly possible sprinkled around the area.

Logan..haha. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

The 4th of July weekend 1966 was legendary.   My friends and I went to the jersey shore and we basically fried.   Sand was not possible to walk on for more than a moment.   Everyone was standing on everyone else’s blanket.   But hot Saturday 1975 (8/2/75) takes the cake.  103 at Logan, 100 at ACK!   High dews and complete torpor.    

Wow, 100 degrees on an island surrounded by water on all sides is amazing!  For some reason 1975 doesn't get mentioned for heat in New York City-- I wonder if it was actually cooler there than ACK was?

The only two July 4th weekends that I can remember were anywhere near as hot as 1966 was were 1999 and 2010.  1999 hit 101 on back to back days (5th and 6th if I remember correctly) and at JFK we had three out of four days above 100 around the July 4th weekend in 2010.  1993 would have been another one but the extreme heat came the week following the July 4th weekend (three straight days of 100+)

21 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is how it should be everyday from May 1 - Nov 30. 90’s with 70’s dews 

A friend just saw a tornado in Ohio and there’s a tornado warning north of Montreal. Meanwhile, big heat fail and totally capped here. :lol: 

• Like 2