Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

On 5/19/2022 at 3:30 AM, LibertyBell said:

1966 was probably the best summer ever for record dry heat, 102 in June and then three straight days over 100 in July.

The 4th of July weekend 1966 was legendary.   My friends and I went to the jersey shore and we basically fried.   Sand was not possible to walk on for more than a moment.   Everyone was standing on everyone else’s blanket.   But hot Saturday 1975 (8/2/75) takes the cake.  103 at Logan, 100 at ACK!   High dews and complete torpor.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Uh oh - your heat index values might be 90 

Barely..it's warm in the garden under full sun. I started working on a farm when I was 12 in Amish land. Spearing tobacco, under full sun, late August for 8 hours, that was hot

• Like 2

Burning off with thermo rocketing.  Won’t make 90 but we’ll probably be in the 80s.    I’ve taken on a work project in Worcester now through mid August.   I am teaching a course that meets Wednesday and Friday PMs.   Driving home yesterday had 80 in Worcester when I left, maintained upper 70s to 128, 60s by the time I got home.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Oh it’s coming and coming like you’ve never seen.    Climate chickens coming home to roost.    How often do we get this heat in May?   69/54 is what it’s supposed to be!

I feel like we hit 90F up here annually in May now, lol.  Early over-the-top roasting has become a norm.  Now this one gets more in SNE involved too.

85/66 here :lol:.

It's interesting ... just looking over the morning long loop ( dawn-ish until now) at COD.  

Speeding that up, you really get the impression that the sensitivity today was almost entirely BL timing.  I mean this thing corrected entirely by radiative forcing (sun) as it rose over and plumbed the sounding.  The mid and high deck didn't even make the coast - it just sort of vanished as it came east, exposing the lower murk ... it too evaporates from all directions. 

I think this was a strange bust where the ridge burst over head, over night, and that inverted the sounding - I think that's referred to as "CAC"  .. cold air capping.   It's basically when you have a stranded lower cold air that gets sealed over warm cloud decks.  You see it more commonly in mid winter.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Oh it’s coming and coming like you’ve never seen.    Climate chickens coming home to roost.    How often do we get this heat in May?   69/54 is what it’s supposed to be!

Last year Boston had 89 on 5/22, 90 on 5/23 and 92 on 5/26.    Let’s see if those get eclipsed 

Nothing close to 90 in 2020

44 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Barely..it's warm in the garden under full sun. I started working on a farm when I was 12 in Amish land. Spearing tobacco, under full sun, late August for 8 hours, that was hot

heh... I was being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The 4th of July weekend 1966 was legendary.   My friends and I went to the jersey shore and we basically fried.   Sand was not possible to walk on for more than a moment.   Everyone was standing on everyone else’s blanket.   But hot Saturday 1975 (8/2/75) takes the cake.  103 at Logan, 100 at ACK!   High dews and complete torpor.    

Hot Saturday, 103 at PWM, 102 at BGR, both all-timers.  100° at BHB just feet from water that was probably <60°.  We (wife, 3 y.o. son, BIL and his Hawaiin wife) drove from BGR to Gouldsboro where there were blueberries in abundance on non-commercial land.  Got there late morning and it was already blazing.  My wife and her brother hid in the shade with our son, BIL's wife had grown up in the pineapple fields and kept on picking.  So did I, due to stupidity.  Probably could've made jam simply by sprinkling sugar on the berries.  We then headed to Acadia and found a place to park by the water just south of Otter Cliffs.  Only 3-4' deep, calm, and the one and only time I've gone swimming in Maine salt water that was actually warm.  Sunday's forecast was for another 100+ day and our cheap apartment was roasting when we got home that Saturday, but then during the overnight came the most blessed BD ever - 70 and sprinkles on August 3.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

89/73 heat index 97

84/66 here...

That's a 15 turn around since 11:30 ... not bad.

But looking at area obs, it appears we are still even now slabbing the lowest level with abandoned cool.  The 1000 foot high ORH ob is solid WSW at 83 - that's the same temperature as lower els surrounding.  Quite unusual. 

Anything to steal today's heat it seems - weird.  haha. 

But congrats on verifying your Heat Advisory -