Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Sounds pretty terrible in Gaylord, MI...not good 

Wow. Spent a bunch of time in Gaylord for work. Actually a great snow area. They can get a lot of snow off Lake Michigan - further west towards the lake which has some elevation is better but been there with easy 4-5' of settled snow on the ground.

5 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Sounds pretty terrible in Gaylord, MI...not good 

At least 1 death... first tornado fatality in MI since 2008.

There was a hell of an EML traversing through the Lakes today (700-500 mb lapse rates of 9 C/km).  Obviously they were able to break the capping up there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

At least 1 death... first tornado fatality in MI since 2008.

There was a hell of an EML traversing through the Lakes today (700-500 mb lapse rates of 9 C/km).  Obviously they were able to break the capping up there.

Webp.net-gifmaker_(4).gif

Blew away the cap while increasing lapse rates aloft. That hodograph is pretty tasty too. Sickle under 1 km, large/looping. Kind of a classic significant tornado look. 

• Like 2

One of the most dangerous problems we have in New England is that people don’t think of this area as a hot area,” Bianca Bowman, climate justice organizer at the environmental justice organization GreenRoots, said.

This early in the season, when temperatures historically were much cooler, most pools and beaches are still without lifeguards. University commencements are staged in un-air-conditioned arenas. People haven’t lugged fans out of storage, never mind put air conditioners in the windows."

Does Americanwx have a Justice officer?

• Haha 2

We may make up for it in the afternoon .. but grading the day in quarters ( say..), what a bust this morning.

My my my.  On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most egregious ... this is really too terrible to even rank on that scale. 

60/60, wet with drizzle.  Big heat needs launch pads.  But falling short of that necessity, so does 90 really. 

90s are going to be a neat trick, without something rather unusual.  The biggest morning to afternoon turn around I have ever personally observed was a June day in 1987.  64/62 with morning dense overcast and occasional rain/thunder, burst into a warm sector around 1pm and both the T and TD soared to 87/72.  E-central Massachusetts. 

Satellite imagery reveals a region with jammed in multi-layer cloud density clear to the Hudson, and looping suggests back-building along that western edge.  We also have a leaf-wobbling NE drift here just to make fun of us? 

I mean I'll be the first to admit to my own failing in being conned by morning's with bad first reveals, in the past, and having to reverse my perspective at 11 or 12...  I don't doubt there will be improvement.  It may even get uncomfortably warm and humid.  86/68 is relative win in that regard.  But 90s?

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We may make up for in the afternoon .. but grading the day in quarters ( say..), what a bust this morning.

My my my.  On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most egregious ... this is really too terrible to even rank on that scale. 

60/60, wet with drizzle.  Big heat needs launch pads.  But falling short of that necessity, so does 90 really. 

90s are going to be a neat trick, without something rather unusual.  The biggest morning to afternoon turn around I have ever personally observed was a June day in 1987.  64/62 with morning dense overcast and occasional rain/thunder, burst into a warm sector around 1pm and both the T and TD soared to 87/72.  E-central Massachusetts. 

Satellite imagery reveals a region with jammed in multi-layer cloud density clear to the Hudson, and looping suggests back-building along that western edge.  We also have a leaf-wobbling NE drift here just to make fun of us? 

I mean I'll be the first to admit to my own failing in being conned by morning's with bad first reveals, in the past, and having to reverse my perspective at 11 or 12...  I don't doubt there will be improvement.  It may even get uncomfortably warm and humid.  86/68 is relative win in that regard.  But 90s?

Good luck

I’d take 60 right now. 

53° and drizzle. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We may make up for it in the afternoon .. but grading the day in quarters ( say..), what a bust this morning.

Good luck

Low to mid 60s and low clouds all the way to SE PA. Noticeable brightening now 63 here 

I think we’ll be waiting mid to late morning to really break out of this, but the atmosphere will want to push 90°. Get some midday sun and a little mixing and we’ll adiabatically catch up, but as others have said without the full max heating all day we’ll lose a bit off of the potential. Tomorrow still looks like a scorcha. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’d take 60 right now. 

53° and drizzle. :lol:

Wow.

Fifty f'n three. 

That 00z GGEM shows 850 mb temperatures exploding to 20 to 22C, N-S from CNE to the SE zones, by 00z tonight.

I admit ... I never performed a super discrete detailed colonoscopy on the BL mechanics for this day, back whence even I caved and started marketing its significance.  I just assumed with the morphology of the 925 and 850 mb layering, and the general synopsis, we should end up with partly to mostly sunny open soaring readings straight out of the dawn.

In my hopeless defense ... I did originally maintain that it's harder to 'big heat,' this part of the continent, in a pattern like this, some week ago.  I'm kicking myself for caving.  I dunno.  Almost seems poetically justifying that it bites in the ass. LOL

I guess... 

I decided to reverse that tempo and give a nod to the notion that sometimes anomalies happen too.   You and I also were just having discussed how New England hasn't yet really experienced the synergistic heat wave yet.  This would not have been it, no. But, the general idea of heat tending to over perform ... I started having trouble holding that back conceptually there.  It didn't help that all models then painted 90s; that really too elegantly completed the deception.

We'll see where it goes.

Okay ...so, accepting that the morning ( at minimum) is defeated ... how can we get out of this?

Satellite reveals layers. There's a mid level deck with probably upper air debris, moving off in tandem. Should peel away from western regions over the next hour, and hopefully... solar processing through the total sounding accelerates that as it goes so that we don't have to wait through noon to get it to slide off eastern areas.  There is some back building over SE NY but is at a slower pace to the total motion.

As that occurs, it will expose the low level strata and even ground fog - we have that locally... but I gotta think that's common at least in the valleys and dales.  That then sequentially evaporates.   This low gunk is actually not that uncommon in an entry into a heat scenario... but the timing of this elevate layering is retarding what would otherwise typically be a rapid recovery by now. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Okay ...so, accepting that the morning ( at minimum) is defeated ... how can we get out of this?

Satellite reveals layers. There's a mid level deck with probably upper air debris, moving off in tandem. Should peel away from western regions over the next hour, and hopefully... solar processing through the total sounding accelerates that as it goes so that we don't have to wait through noon to get it to slide off eastern areas.  There is some back building over SE NY but is at a slower pace to the total motion.

As that occurs, it will expose the low level strata and even ground fog - we have that locally... but I gotta think that's common at least in the valleys and dales.  That then sequentially evaporates.   This low gunk is actually not that uncommon in an entry into a heat scenario... but the timing of this elevate layering is retarding what would otherwise typically be a rapid recovery by now. 

Even the latest hi res is busting 6-9 degrees to warm for 10am 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Even the latest hi res is busting 6-9 degrees to warm for 10am 

So far the follow-up post on how this should evolve, moving forward after acceptance of having eaten morning bust-shit ( lol )... is working according to plan at least.  There is a western edge and clearing salvation to this hell.

Mid and high debris deck is passing off and exposing low levels to the high sun from west to east.  Day glow sky has brightened western zones/CT over top the lingering stranded fog/strata.  That's going to transition the day like Brian mentioned above...

I don't know if we'll make Heat Advisory headlines, but as the sun comes through the adiabats alone will force a rapid temperature rise as the low levels thermally couple with ...  I tell you what, if we can even get a BL depth to 900 mb, we'll still make 91.

• Like 1