Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

53 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Euro upping the ante from BDL to southern NH.  Widespread 95-100.. Dews in the lows 70s down here with low 90s.

ecmwf-deterministic-massachusetts-t2m_f_max6-3177600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-massachusetts-t2m_f_max6-3264000.png

I'm feeling like Sunday might be the hottest day in the Merrimack Valley. Front inching closer and southwest flow gives the compressional warming/downslope combo. I feel pretty good about upper 90s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Euro upping the ante from BDL to southern NH.  Widespread 95-100.. Dews in the lows 70s down here with low 90s.

ecmwf-deterministic-massachusetts-t2m_f_max6-3177600.png

Ugh Saturday we have a boy scout hike of Mt Monadnock in the morning followed by lacrosse tournament in Fitchburg on turf.   Furnace. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Massachusetts public health officials on Wednesday said a man who recently traveled to Canada has a confirmed case of monkeypox, the first case of the rare viral disease to be officially identified in the United States this year.

Wonder if this had anything to do with Tip getting his air conditioner installed?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Massachusetts public health officials on Wednesday said a man who recently traveled to Canada has a confirmed case of monkeypox, the first case of the rare viral disease to be officially identified in the United States this year.

Wonder if this had anything to do with Tip getting his air conditioner installed?

On 7/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I say this with love

A literal monkey could put a A.C unit in that window ..maybe you need to do a mod like adding a tiny piece of wood so it sits with a better tilt . This doesn’t require pages of discussion Geezus . Buy the Unit , put it in and enjoy the relief . I mean am I missing something ...it doesn’t need to be vacuum sealed To 1/100’th specifications 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, weathafella said:

I kind of remember big heat circa maybe 1962-5/30 hit something like 99 at Central Park.  May have been 5/31 but I think it was 5/30.   

99/58 on 5/19/62.  I was tossing the baseball around with friends that day.  We had the radio on, and when noon's 89 became 95 at 1 PM, we chose to go inside.  Not too humid, as the temp fell to 64 by next morning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

1966 was probably the best summer ever for record dry heat, 102 in June and then three straight days over 100 in July.

101 in June, then the Sat-Sun-Mon (7/4) weekend had 100/103/98 at Central Park.  LGA reached 107 on the 3rd.  Then NYC notched 101 on 7/13.  Met summer 1966 was NYC's hottest and driest summer on record.  The precip record still stands but met summer 2010 topped 1966 by a couple tenths.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Lacrosse tournament mom uniform: $100k SUV and lululemon . Some times the games are hard to watch because gaze is diverted elsewhere. 

Lululemon has to be swapped out for LuLaRoe at the Fitchburg city line. Too fancy. Event at Game On? Gonna scorch up there on a south facing hill that's been clear cut. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm feeling like Sunday might be the hottest day in the Merrimack Valley. Front inching closer and southwest flow gives the compressional warming/downslope combo. I feel pretty good about upper 90s.

That was pretty much my thinking yesterday. Classic day where that CON-MHT-ASH-FIT-LWM corridor ends up roasting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

101 in June, then the Sat-Sun-Mon (7/4) weekend had 100/103/98 at Central Park.  LGA reached 107 on the 3rd.  Then NYC notched 101 on 7/13.  Met summer 1966 was NYC's hottest and driest summer on record.  The precip record still stands but met summer 2010 topped 1966 by a couple tenths.

Wow so 100+ in three different heat events?  That must be highly unusual.

I'd like to see what caused the peak of that summer to only reach 103 at Central Park, while it was 104 at JFK, 105 at EWR and 107 at LGA.  Somehow NYC ended up at the back of the pack.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

99/58 on 5/19/62.  I was tossing the baseball around with friends that day.  We had the radio on, and when noon's 89 became 95 at 1 PM, we chose to go inside.  Not too humid, as the temp fell to 64 by next morning.

I think we had a similar heat event in 1996 on almost the same day?  Eerie, like comparing April 1976 and April 2002.  Interesting that the summers that followed were so different, Summer 2002 was one of our hottest.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

The way that front is slowing down it may not come through here until Wednesday :lol: 

Some funky stuff happens tomorrow night too...looks like the front actually retreats to the northwest a bit back into the Missouri Valley region as opposed to continuing towards the Ohio Valley. 

Reminds me of some of our hottest summers when that happened.  1993 comes to mind.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The warmth and 3-4" of rain at the mountain over the past few days has really started to accelerate leaf out.  The green line has made it to about 2,000ft elevation, and working its way up.  Some of the cooler drainages (like the Hellbrook drainage on right side of the photo) are still waiting for anything green.  Still stick season on the upper half of the mountains.

Those areas should see soil temps warm quickly now that the snow has completely melted off except for the highest, sheltered pockets.  Saturday's heat will do wonders to warm up the ground temps in those areas.

1045316692_May18foliage-1-2.thumb.jpg.b8c212cc9eaff3d339d2d8b51fec395c.jpg

Wow... arresting image. 

Again..for the upteenth time, I reiterate my sentiments that PF is a moron for not taking these to a digital re-mastery expert, and become rich, both in spirit and form, as an arty, wealthy kind of neo Ansel Adam's for broad vistas -  

This waste is like a single, middle aged woman whose clock is winding down.  Her body was always deliciously hot, her face, melting hearts.  Yet she's single, and doesn't know why - or does but covets the frustration and tears from other's eyes.  She like this for failing to ever therapeutically connect with an obstructive force caused by an overbearing affection giver in her youth.  ...One to this day that her adoration is immortalized.  That's the insidious nature of that kind of 'psychic incest' (no physical manifestation), in that it feels so good while it is happening, the damage to individualism and personal growth space can be quite profound. This person essentially has had her ability to formulate affection 'shut down' by the psychic interference, the natural gestational phase of crushes on boys (or girls) we all suffer, may not have occurred at all during critical years ( 5-12), because of the overbearing predominating presence in her adolescence.   She's intelligent, quick witted and can plumb deeper colloquy, otherwise, about a myriad of subjects she may not have ever been formally introduced with - she's smart enough to do that.  And when not manufacturing 'fantasy conflicts' as a defense mechanism, keeping those who 'approach her' that way, at bay - anything to distance her self, all done unconsciously - she's really quite cheerful, approachable, and charming. 

But that demon keeping her from truly finding and engaging in life has proven too powerful, insidiously cloaked beneath these 'on-paper' social advantages... And now that her clock is winding down, at middle age, she's running out of time...  If she doesn't figure this shit out, she'll miss the boat entirely ... and leave only an empty life behind.

Never having framed this talent for photo-optic gems into an immortalizing homage to a great soul; instead, a portrait in the shimmering gallery of mediocrity.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I think 1993 had some pretty big severe events in NY/PA too with damaging winds. 

Yep where that ring of fire hit the NE, there were some amazing convective events.  The front sometimes just stalled over C PA to upstate NY, while it baked east of there.  And going further west, the rains and flooding near St Louis was historic.

54 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If we start seeing fronts wash out and weaken as they approach before we get into July...we'll have a problem :lol: 

Funny you mentioned that ... I'm already noticing that happening...

The front that ends our "two day" heat wave, has normalized some comparing the original modeling cinema from 4 .. 5 days ago.  The upper support even goes more zonal in the non-hydrostats instead of trough incursion that yo-yos in and out...etc.  In fact, centered on ~132 hours out from the 00z run cycle, all the models attempt even bounce the height back, already...by as early as Tuesday... However, because of idiosyncrasies over eastern Canada, we end up with high pressure at the surface retreat E of NF ..which sends NE trajectories back SW under the upper heights - so it's a dud, gutted ridge.  But, the 850 mbs do reflect muted overall aspect, by only on average coming down to 9 to 12 C through the period.  

Then, there's suggestion of another flat trough and whisky front.  Then, I'm tracking a much bigger systemically anchored heat look that's really quite awesome already in the 300 hour EPS/GEPs... The GFS is more tepid but it's own PNA is down below -1 SD by Mem Day weekend, which suggests room to negotiate.   

• Thanks 1