Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Even after 130 years, daily records are stochastic and thus variable.  Thru 129 years, the May daily heat records at the Farmington co-op range from a modest 84 to 100.  Year 130 (2022) will move that lower number to 86 (on the 1st), as the 84 was set for May 13 - last Friday - and my 85 here likely means 86 or 87 at the co-op.  

You know ..I was also wondering about instrumentation.  But I'm not a technology historian by any stretch - it's just that for example, earlier last Century the Death Valley record was set ( 2nd highest in the world), but recently that's come under some skepticism if not scrutiny due to that, and it was registered some 50 years later than the 1880's

I do know from my half century's worth of existence that it's hard to get above 95 in May in general, and a-priori that's gonna date back many years before my feet hit earth - most likely. 

• Thanks 1

I mowed again today (first mow was Saturday, but I kept it high).  No dust.  We got decent rain the other evening. 

My pool might also be ready for swimming this weekend (albeit cold). First time ever in May
Opened mine last Thursday. I've been ticking the heat up a degree or 2 per day. Should be very swimmable Saturday and Sunday.

36 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:
I mowed again today (first mow was Saturday, but I kept it high).  No dust.  We got decent rain the other evening. 

My pool might also be ready for swimming this weekend (albeit cold). First time ever in May

Opened mine last Thursday. I've been ticking the heat up a degree or 2 per day. Should be very swimmable Saturday and Sunday.

By Sunday night if my pool temp is 65 that would be a win.  It will be in the 50s all day tomorrow here.  With some rain.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

By Sunday night if my pool temp is 65 that would be a win.  It will be in the 50s all day tomorrow here.  With some rain.  

Still waiting for my new liner to ship plus the Pool company is still behind schedule. It might be August by the time I get to open the pool....going to be a long summer if that is the case, bet on a record hot one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was at a house today and they already have the pool open and have used it, not heated either so was surprised.

• Like 1

The warmth and 3-4" of rain at the mountain over the past few days has really started to accelerate leaf out.  The green line has made it to about 2,000ft elevation, and working its way up.  Some of the cooler drainages (like the Hellbrook drainage on right side of the photo) are still waiting for anything green.  Still stick season on the upper half of the mountains.

Those areas should see soil temps warm quickly now that the snow has completely melted off except for the highest, sheltered pockets.  Saturday's heat will do wonders to warm up the ground temps in those areas.

1045316692_May18foliage-1-2.thumb.jpg.b8c212cc9eaff3d339d2d8b51fec395c.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Put mine in today. Wow sweet unit. So quiet. App is really cool. Used manual connection to my wifi. Long install but very easy. Will see how it does Sat and Sunday.  Definitely ordering another one or 2 if it's as good as I think it is. What's the story on the heat mode?

I saw that but haven’t really investigated it. I can’t believe how quiet it is. I’m pretty happy about the $100 rebate coming too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The warmth and 3-4" of rain at the mountain has really started to accelerate leaf out.  The green line has made it to about 2,000ft elevation is starting to work its way up.  Some of the cooler drainages (like the Hellbrook drainage on right side of the photo) are still waiting for anything green.  Still stick season on the upper half of the mountains.

Those areas should see soil temps warm quickly now that the snow has completely melted off except for the highest, sheltered pockets.  Saturday's heat will do wonders to warm up the ground temps in those areas.

1045316692_May18foliage-1-2.thumb.jpg.b8c212cc9eaff3d339d2d8b51fec395c.jpg

Nice pic! Most underrated season in the North.

45 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Nice pic! Most underrated season in the North.

Thanks man.  You are completely right.  It's the most underrated season by far.  I love spring, especially late spring.  The sky seems bluer, the trees seem greener, especially against the stick season background.  The long daylight tops it all off.  Winter sunny days are fun but it's dark by 4:30pm. 

The clear, Chamber of Commerce weather this time of year is the stuff you dream of.  Where even inches of rain get sucked up by the exploding vegetation pretty easily.  Dry air and thirsty, awakening plant life... sucks the water up and turns neon green.  Fed well.

41/37.  All closed up, not letting the heat kick on, ha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Too cold right now. Waiting as usual for all the cotton Aspen Birch Maple Oaks debris disaster to end. I was open last year Memorial day 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tamarack said:

Even after 130 years, daily records are stochastic and thus variable.  Thru 129 years, the May daily heat records at the Farmington co-op range from a modest 84 to 100.  Year 130 (2022) will move that lower number to 86 (on the 1st), as the 84 was set for May 13 - last Friday - and my 85 here likely means 86 or 87 at the co-op.  

I kind of remember big heat circa maybe 1962-5/30 hit something like 99 at Central Park.  May have been 5/31 but I think it was 5/30.   

9 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ..I was also wondering about instrumentation.  But I'm not a technology historian by any stretch - it's just that for example, earlier last Century the Death Valley record was set ( 2nd highest in the world), but recently that's come under some skepticism if not scrutiny due to that, and it was registered some 50 years later than the 1880's

I do know from my half century's worth of existence that it's hard to get above 95 in May in general, and a-priori that's gonna date back many years before my feet hit earth - most likely. 

The 130.0 Death Valley hit last year is likely the "real" world record.