Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... in terms of physical impact/'sensible' weather...  99/59 vs 95/65 ...  that's why-for the invention of the HI calculation.

Which,ha, has anyone every seen the actual equation for the apparent temperatures?   Holy brain bomb of a headache that thing is. It's got estimates built into it too, or at least the version I saw back in the '90s. 

But for those interested in breaking record temperatures the HI isn't part of that - or maybe there is historic 'HI's ? I dunno -

Does anyone know what the daily is for Saturday 21 May?   what are the all-times?   I suppose I could find those but if anyone cares to -

For KBOS:

5/21 93 (1921)

5/22 93 (1959)

All time record for May is 97 on 5/26/1880 .. also got to 96 on 5/27/1880 .. 

May 1880 what a torch month, +5.3 and 5 90+ days  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

It is almost June, so it's impressive but not that impressive. End of April would be a real overachiever

Mm... even considering the subjective nature of your statement (abv),  even having a possibility of approaching historic numbers, those that were set over 130 years ago (99 ...etc), must be worthy enough -

What does one need to 'impress' then.  I think that's asking a bit much ... Looking at all years, it's hard enough to get above even 96 in the average July, just based upon historical inference.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Sunday looks even warmer than saturday for western WNE.   I noticed GFS backed off some on the furnace for Memorial Weekend.

Telecon spread likes a warmer 2nd half of May .... right into the first week of June fwiw -

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mm... even considering the subjective nature of your statement (abv),  even having a possibility of approaching historic numbers, those that were set over 130 years ago (99 ...etc), must be worthy enough -

What does one need to 'impress' then.  I think that's asking a bit much ... Looking at all years, it's hard enough to get above even 96 in the average July, just based upon historical inference.

But we're supposedly in a new climate regime blowing up records all over the place, so breaking a one day record by a little bit isn't that crazy. 

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

But we're supposedly in a new climate regime blowing up records all over the place, so breaking a one day record by a little bit isn't that crazy. 

It’s not like you are going to be able to break that by 5-10 degrees.   If the records fall, especially if they go back to back, I will be impressed. 

32 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ha ha ... I get it.

But unfortunately, there may never be a "gawk scale" for which a single event is ever gonna be compared to.   "It's got a holy shit we all gon' die, historic value of 9 on the scale of oh-shitness!"

Breaking a 130 year record is breaking a 130 year record in the stricter scalar sense, and is impressive nonetheless for most climate and met trained.   If that were to occur, it would be both awesome, and,  still does fit in with breaking warm-related records in a +d(climate) era.

• Like 1

Hey Wiz' ...  you probably don't have idea or have never heard of this,

"May 21, 1996 – A microburst caused extensive damage and 60 injuries in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, where winds were clocked at 104 mph (167 km/h). Brockton, Whitman, and Abington were the hardest hit towns."

But that was led by 90 F temperatures that day.  I recall that.. This set up Sunday sort of reminds me...  although back then the heat punched in for just a day. 

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hey Wiz' ...  you probably don't have idea or have never heard of this,

"May 21, 1996 – A microburst caused extensive damage and 60 injuries in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, where winds were clocked at 104 mph (167 km/h). Brockton, Whitman, and Abington were the hardest hit towns."

But that was led by 90 F temperatures that day.  I recall that.. This set up Sunday sort of reminds me...  although back then the heat punched in for just a day. 

I actually have heard of that! IIRC those were the strongest convective winds recorded in New England...which then of course was matched just two years later. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ha ha ... I get it.

But unfortunately, there may never be a "gawk scale" for which a single event is ever gonna be compared to.   "It's got a holy shit we all gon' die, historic value of 9 on the scale of oh-shitness!"

Breaking a 130 year record is breaking a 130 year record in the stricter scalar sense, and is impressive nonetheless for most climate and met trained.   If that were to occur, it would be both awesome, and,  still does fit in with breaking warm-related records in a +d(climate) era.

Even after 130 years, daily records are stochastic and thus variable.  Thru 129 years, the May daily heat records at the Farmington co-op range from a modest 84 to 100.  Year 130 (2022) will move that lower number to 86 (on the 1st), as the 84 was set for May 13 - last Friday - and my 85 here likely means 86 or 87 at the co-op.  

4 hours ago, ma blizzard said:

For KBOS:

5/21 93 (1921)

5/22 93 (1959)

All time record for May is 97 on 5/26/1880 .. also got to 96 on 5/27/1880 .. 

May 1880 what a torch month, +5.3 and 5 90+ days  

Local long-term co-op dates back only thru 1893, and the period 1893-97 appeared to have issues with siting and/or instrumentation, as that span featured 11 days with 90+, including a six-day heat wave 5/6-11, 1894 that peaked at 97.  Since 1900, May 90s have averaged about 0.3 per year, with lots of grouping.  1911 had 4 including the 100° all-timer, 1977 (the CAR record breaker) and 1992 had 3 (each consecutive), and six other Mays had 2.  That leaves the other 113 years 1900-on with 14 Mays having only one and 99 with none.  I've reached 90 this month and it's probable the co-op also has made it.

More on 1893-97 heat issues.  The co-op has reached 100 on 14 days.  Fully half came 1893-97, five were in 1911, that May topper plus 4 more in the well-documented NNE heat wave that July.  In the 110 years since then, 100 was reached only in June 1944 and on Hot Saturday in August 1975.  It's 26 years since the co-op has gone hotter than 95.  Tree encroachment may be an issue there.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:29 PM, mreaves said:

The Midea came a day early. Took me about an hour to get installed. It wasn’t too bad. Haven’t turned it on yet because I need a frigging extension cord. Of course the temp is down to 58° so I don’t really need it at the moment. 

Put mine in today. Wow sweet unit. So quiet. App is really cool. Used manual connection to my wifi. Long install but very easy. Will see how it does Sat and Sunday.  Definitely ordering another one or 2 if it's as good as I think it is. What's the story on the heat mode?

• Like 1