Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I answered the dew question in the post right behind mine.

Oh.. .ha.  I was like, 'He only thinks we're getting into the 60s - I think he means 90s'

Anyway, yeah, I know I spent time - for the general audience - penning way too long of a post over why the sort of modeled heat delivery through New England over the weekend, doesn't tend to be 'big heat,'   based in no small part on both climate, and just experience with SW flow.  By I suppose as others mentioned, wind direction - it's likely to be a key metric.   If we can keep it more WSW or W as opposed to NYC --> PWM.   

But that kind of means its now a SW flow, doesn't it?   Thing is, we have a front approaching from the W, with non-hydrostatic ridge/associated wind at mid troposphere et al, SW.   So not sure.   The 850s on Saturday are certainly pushing it for May pretty hard against the ceiling.  Looks 21 C...  That's there. But the RH at 700, 500, 300 contaminated to perhaps to partly cloudy.  heh   

well anyway we'll see.  I guess whether it's 97 or 93 is nuisance distinction and not worth this energy. haha.  I mean, it'll be 93/67 and that combination will roll bottom back beads of sweat into ass cracks either way.

Wednesday looks like the cool day...  Some sort of flat wave ejection from the Lakes into a leading low theta-e environment promises to cloud over before noon and light rain wet bulbs - how soothing...  yuck.   Even though this is bust machine guidance for being too cold time of year, that's a candidate for climo in the MOS's to not see a chilly afternoon. 

I guess a way out of that is that sometimes the leading dry air and modest subsidence can erode the upper ceiling as it attempts to dump over the Berk's and you can get a couple extra reach-around hours of warm sun prior the denser advance finally taking over. 

Looks like some could see a decent little soaking tomorrow night. The NAM is most aggressive in terms of QPF, however, you have a nice strengthening llvl jet with some decent lift moving overhead. This is why it's pointless to throw around QPF forecast charts through 10-days this time of year. There are so many small nuisances and drivers of convection that pop up in the short-term. Obviously there are going to be areas which receive more rain and areas which probably see nada...that's just the nature of the beast.  

3 hours ago, Hoth said:

WTF is going on on that can? Alcohol induced hunting accident? Fending off a home invasion? Straight up murder? Dew was hardcore back in the day.

Did the guy kill the Hawaiian Punch spokesman first? He's wearing his hat.

Sounds like it had some hillbilly beginnings to it.

https://www.southernthing.com/mountain-dew-history-2646712730.html 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'd prefer the 75-80 back. It's a little chilly when we lose the sun today. 62/44 with the breeze isn't cutting it for me.

Agree but it’s warm enough and cloud free here.  I’m sad extremes are gone but maybe the weekend?   I don’t get people on a weather bb not wanting it as hot, as cold, as wet, as thundery, as snowy as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like some could see a decent little soaking tomorrow night. The NAM is most aggressive in terms of QPF, however, you have a nice strengthening llvl jet with some decent lift moving overhead. This is why it's pointless to throw around QPF forecast charts through 10-days this time of year. There are so many small nuisances and drivers of convection that pop up in the short-term. Obviously there are going to be areas which receive more rain and areas which probably see nada...that's just the nature of the beast.  

Hopefully, been dry as a bone here. Under a tenth last night.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hopefully, been dry as a bone here. Under a tenth last night.

The NAM is quite the soaking. All stems from the complex which materializes later today over IA/MO. But there are some large differences between the NAM/GFS in even how that evolves later and how it progresses through the Ohio Valley tomorrow. There isn't a ton of shortwave support which would be nice too see but dynamics are pretty nice and it seems to ride the instability gradient with solid theta-e advection out ahead of it. Guess we'll see

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdxken said:

A stunner. Smiles all over the place. Everyone's favorite weather.

When dews are up in the mornings, it’s always cloudy and damp with wet streaks on windows with folks huddled indoors face planted next to their units. This morning, I had bright sky with the both doors open and my dogs laying on the deck vibing. Threw some Bob Marley on….

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

When dews are up in the mornings, it’s always cloudy and damp with wet streaks on windows with folks huddled indoors face planted next to their units. This morning, I had bright sky with the both doors open and my dogs laying on the deck vibing. Threw some Bob Marley on….

what kind of "unit" are you talking about?

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Agree but it’s warm enough and cloud free here.  I’m sad extremes are gone but maybe the weekend?   I don’t get people on a weather bb not wanting it as hot, as cold, as wet, as thundery, as snowy as possible.

When it is pounding snow we go outside and streak. It is enjoyable to be out. Keep us posted when you guys go out streaking in a 94/75 supercell with torrential downpours that is sending lightning bolts up your fanny. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

When it is pounding snow we go outside and streak. It is enjoyable to be out. Keep us posted when you guys go out streaking in a 94/75 supercell with torrential downpours that is sending lightning bolts up your fanny. 

That’s the fun of it!   Why I’m glad to be alive!  It’s raining today on cocky….

Just like the time I went for a 5 mile run in phoenix in July during the day.   Part of the experience.   

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Don't like the big heat when it's here, but I brag about it later. :lol:    For the other 4, yes, yes (except 12/1 thru 3/31), yes (forlorn hope) and YES! 

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Fish shutting em’ down

Fisher in for a surprise when they change that data.

NWS reached out for confirmation because one had some doubts about the data.

They've been under-reporting snow depth and might be correcting it.

This was Saturday, they had 6" or something.  Might correct back to 15-16"

1801831974_MansfieldStake.jpg.0e70c0aff2a8c4ac6c8954f39930654a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1