Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

Just now, Torch Tiger said:

82.7 with the dews, feels great!  

It’s been a full on deep summer humid last 3 days with one more tomorrow.  You read some of these posts with Coc k s tapping each other and it leaves you wondering . There wasn’t a poster here who posted or said these high dews were here to stay . The AN regime sure is though 

Just now, Torch Tiger said:
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s been a full on deep summer humid last 3 days with one more tomorrow.  You read some of these posts with Coc k s tapping each other and it leaves you wondering . There wasn’t a poster here who posted or said these high dews were here to stay . The AN regime sure is though 

Looks like we warm down for a bit next week prior to the re-torch, but yeah it's AN early and often

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well said. At what age do you think you embrace the dews. Late 30's or early 40's?

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes that’s why I am loving this . Dews are in mid- upper 60’s today thru Monday . That’s not high enough as 70+ is preferred but for mid Mayorch this is great

Where are these upper 60's dew points of which you speak? How about even a Mid?

4 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yes that’s why I am loving this . Dews are in mid- upper 60’s today thru Monday . That’s not high enough as 70+ is preferred but for mid Mayorch this is great

Where are these upper 60's dew points of which you speak? How about even a Mid?

my dew has been in mid-sixties since yesterday. it definitely feels humid here today

23 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Well said. At what age do you think you embrace the dews. Late 30's or early 40's?

And it continues until you’re like my grandfather or my 99 year old grandmother… sitting outside on the porch with blankets on at 90/70, wishing the dew was 82F like an Iowa cornfield so you can ditch the blankets.

I’ll say I love the warm season a lot more than I did in my teens and 20s, but high dews still do nothing for me.  Just makes all of the outdoor recreational activities I like less enjoyable, or at least more uncomfortable.  But for boring daily life, it’s a bit more interesting to feel like you are stepping out into a rainforest between stints in the A/C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

1.09” so far today, just emptied Stratus as inner tube was overflowing, 1.40” between yesterday evening and today.

Good solid soaker.  The trees are going to go neon green after this.

66/64

I learned to never put much faith into dry patterns persisting into drought in NNE, there is always this kind of surprise soaker which will come along to halt them eventually.

It does appear there was a backdoor of sorts that dropped down from northern ME yesterday and, according to the maps, throughout the afternoon was snaking from just west of Montreal, winding through central VT/NH, and leaving just York county ME in the warm sector as it trailed off the coast. That cutoff circulation from last weekend did a full clockwise loop and went through ME today if the satellite was any indication.

10 hours ago, BrianW said:

Those Midea units have absolutely stunning efficiency. Variable capacity inverter compressors are the future of heating and cooling. America is stupidly slow to adapt to the technology. 90% of Asia and Europe have been using inverter driven compressors for the last decade.

My mini split is rated at an insane 38 seer. Nearly 4 times the efficiency of a whole house ac or window unit. 

It can move heat in the summer at a COP (coefficient of performance) of 8.79. Thats an effective thermodynamic efficiency 879%.

In the winter I can heat my house when its 5 degrees out at twice the efficiency of any fossil fuel source of heat. 

Add in some solar and your fuel is essentially free. 

Screenshot_20220515-044205_Chrome.jpg

LG makes inverter window units as well but they have the traditional design and aren't U shaped. They are much quieter for sure. I had one during the tail end of my time in ME. Hopefully one day someone will be able to make 6k BTU inverter window units.

The mini-split units are great, unfortunately the prices to get them installed in the US are ridiculous when you compare to Europe and Asia. I got a multi-head Mitsubishi put in last year before prices went completely insane. One in the garage and one in the bedroom with option to add a third down the road. It saves more to use than the central, plus it's nice to have a backup in case the central goes out, summer in AZ doesn't joke around.

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

I remember that day well. Back then I lived in a small town called Ridgefield just south of Danbury in CT. The previous evening I had TWC on and they were tracking it getting started in the great lakes and going through Ontario. Then it turned into a monster once it got into NY state, flattening thousands of trees in the Adirondacks. It made me pull an all nighter thinking it would be a historic event once it reached my area. In actuality it was a dud by that time, a threatening looking sky, few drops of rain and gusts of wind. Then it cleared on out like a Texas dry line storm and the ensuing day was one for the ages.

That was the infamous DXR hits 103 day, and during my time in CT I never remembered any other summer afternoon which felt as hot as that one did, and even if we may not have hit 103 we were easily near 100. The dewpoints didn't mix out despite the heat. Looking at the archived surface maps from back then, it appears that derecho coaxed a backdoor looking boundary to move south and west, maybe earlier than forecast. The following day was noticeably cooler and drier.

• Like 1