Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That thing was a beast in the Berks. Barry Burbank was on that morning and was super excited about it. But yeah weakened out but I still remember gusts 50+ And a brief power outage. 

We experienced a much better MCS the evening of June 10, 1987.  It prooobably was not a "derecho" per se at the time it came down the eastern Mohawk Trail ( Rt 2 corridor), but if allowed another several hundred miles of continent it likely would have evolved into one.

That was a fascinating day boy.  Some time between 8 and 9 am that morning in a dead calm wind, light mosquito rains began. You know, the annoying cool rain mixed with those earlobe arias, occasionally slapping that cherished little tickle sing that soon follows.  I know, ...because I ventured out at the first sound of occasional soft and/or distant thunder like any little weather dork would. Ha. It was around 63/61.

It did that through 11 or 11:30, when suddenly out of nowhere ...that all-too-familiar,  'beep beep beep-beep' pinged off from the television. The slot for the inevitable message appears at the bottom of the TWC's televise.  "What? What? C'mon?!"  It think at the time it was like the 'Gardening Report' ?  Thank god the alternative, "THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AT TAUNTON MASSACHUSETTS HAS ISSUED A SEVER THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR:  SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX ...."   

That got me off the couch, soon crashing through the door to front yard... Weinershnitzeling gawks at the sky around, it wasn't initially anything special, though the thunder was more impressive, coming on with those insidiously suggestive lower decibel resonances like a meteor might just have impacted over the curvature of the horizon.  You know, that's a special kind of ominous reporting thunder. It is more smooth while foundational, like the underworld warned by a Gregorian Base section. 

Just then, the the light around dimmed.  It was like dimmer switch, soon becoming impressively dark.  White noise wind began to rise over the trees, and then ... they leaned all at once.  Maybe 40 mph.. sub-severe, but going from calm to that augments the affect.  Rain became heavy.  Lighting was frequent, but ultimately ...since I was not in fact located in southern Middlesex County, this was not a 'severe' thunderstorm at that location.  But those insidious Gegorian evil hums certainly suggested that it might have been a fun morning down in Marlborough - say.. 

Here's the fascinating part... That was all ending by noon or 12:30 pm, and quite abruptly ... the sun blasted through. The whole murky, thundery wet morning of it all ... packed up neatly and pulled away to the east, exposing the region to the highest sun angle of the solar year in the wake, over a fresh dose of saturated earth and atmosphere for cooking.  That was actually just a fantastic recovery.  I remember as the rain was ending, it was warming up - aft of a thunderstorm, no less. That was unusual.  Thunderstorms are supposed to cool/process the environment. But a day that had begun lower, was by then 68 or even 70/64.  I wondered if we made end up bursting out of it - I had a feeling we would end up different by afternoon. 

By 3 pm, it was 89/76, or something, under mainly a sun sky... The hills in the distance tinted gray-blue through the steamy air. It was like being in a sauna that situates under a rotisserie lamp.  I had no idea ... but right around 3:30 pm... an innocuous CB erupted some 50 mi NW of Albany. It quickly developed a bow outflow in front and as that sucker cleaved under that integrated bulk CAPE anomaly, holy hell!  By 7pm, a 40 mile wide wall of 50 K over top domed CBs was roaring down Rt 2, with 70+ out flow p-wave blast and probably some of the most frequent lighting that to this day I can recall.  I do so growing up though ... in southern Michigan - different stories. 

It actually came through eastern Mass ... primarily N of the Pike, in three distinct events.   I'd never seen anything like that before. 

The first of the three in the sequencing was a stage show of towering CU.  They were obscured by the anvil as it cast over like the wings opening above the demon in "Fantasia," the individual structures completing the symbology as though they were his minions rising from the graves beneath.  It was all nearing dusk anyway - which made their bases particularly scary and menacing looking.  A few of their turrets punched into the lording canopy anvil above.  That's always a fascinating dimension perspective, but the surrounding mammata really added to the outre nature of the scenery.  While eerily calm, ~ every 30 seconds, a single silver-blue bolt blinked several times connecting the distance of the elevated anvil to earth - around, but not from, those darkly bishop TCUs.  That cast an allusion, those were not really in charge of the whole specter.  These were followed by shattered wine-glass thunder.  Hyperbole notwithstanding, it was truly awesome, the angry tenor. 

That carried on for 10 minutes, then the second in the sequence come a destructive pulse of wind. It swept with an immediate acceleration, taking a still air to a hurried fear almost immediately. That's what I mean by mimicking a p-wave off a bomb blast. It down a lot of limbs around town and I'm sure elsewhere, knocked power out here and there.  There the pulsed positive stroke discharge act of the show had moved off - this was distinctly different perspective, this wind event.

Then finally, the third... signaled it was coming as a line of near the western horizon of constant lightning - or just 'lighting,' period.  It strobed almost too frequently, really N. Texans would have said it was unusual.  When it arrives with over-lapping flashes of light, a rise in the roar of a new wind came on with sideways rain and est quarter " hail ... This din competed with it, together creating pure energy that took the next 30 minutes to fully return to quiescence.  This third way made sporadic power outages, pretty much complete through the area.  It was a couple days before restorage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

So you can open the window too apparently? How does that work if you have a screen?

Just like any window AC, you have to take screen out if it's not a sliding screen. My screen slides up, but is still unusable with this. Basically you can open window, but there won't be any screen. Unless you jimmy rigged something I guess.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well, the GFS has been excited about a GOM 'cane for a number of runs, so why not?

At risk of bunning one's self...

you know - it was actually pretty good the last couple of seasons - I personally noticed - wrt extended lead "existence" ...

Position in space and time ... obviously, not so much.  But just the advent of one being on the map, somewhere, as a very coarse example of model performance, it's been remarkable at times.   Because of this [ apparent ] reproduce(ing) decent performance as to whether one will exist, alone, I actually think one will. 

There's another aspect, a modestly positive NAO phase is as such, modestly positively correlated to western Atl Basin spin ups.  We'll have to see. 

37 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just like any window AC, you have to take screen out if it's not a sliding screen. My screen slides up, but is still unusable with this. Basically you can open window, but there won't be any screen. Unless you jimmy rigged something I guess.

Yeah that’s what I figured. I don’t have sliding screens. But that’s ok....we are still looking at getting at least one of these I think.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

So you can open the window too apparently? How does that work if you have a screen?

yeah as others said you can open window but can’t do anything with the screen. I didn’t open my window once last year, so that feature is virtually useless for me. Still love the Midea though, it’s real efficient and super quiet. I wish they made a smaller one I could put in my bedroom, 8k btu is too much

7 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

yeah as others said you can open window but can’t do anything with the screen. I didn’t open my window once last year, so that feature is virtually useless for me. Still love the Midea though, it’s real efficient and super quiet. I wish they made a smaller one I could put in my bedroom, 8k btu is too much

We are going to use the 8K in our bedroom but our house is only about 1000 square feet and we leave the door open so it helps cool the entire house. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

Those Midea units have absolutely stunning efficiency. Variable capacity inverter compressors are the future of heating and cooling. America is stupidly slow to adapt to the technology. 90% of Asia and Europe have been using inverter driven compressors for the last decade.

My mini split is rated at an insane 38 seer. Nearly 4 times the efficiency of a whole house ac or window unit. 

It can move heat in the summer at a COP (coefficient of performance) of 8.79. Thats an effective thermodynamic efficiency 879%.

In the winter I can heat my house when its 5 degrees out at twice the efficiency of any fossil fuel source of heat. 

Add in some solar and your fuel is essentially free. 

Screenshot_20220515-044205_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Coc during the week though awat and more coc next. 

Nice! I think you're right about just the occasional very warm day. Today is a beauty , low to mid 70s temperatures with dews in the lower 60s.

Are you sure you don't have any professional training in meteorology?

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Nice! I think you're right about just the occasional very warm day. Today is a beauty , low to mid 70s temperatures with dews in the lower 60s.

Nevertheless, today is solidly above normal.    Major scorching this summer like we’ve never seen before I think.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that’s what I figured. I don’t have sliding screens. But that’s ok....we are still looking at getting at least one of these I think.

Our HD has them for the same price as amazon. Easier return as well…just in case. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Nevertheless, today is solidly above normal.    Major scorching this summer like we’ve never seen before I think.

Normal high is mid 60s (66 at BOS) today.  It will be 6-8 above that.  Similar through the week save for maybe 2 days near normal.

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Normal high is mid 60s (66 at BOS) today.  It will be 6-8 above that.  Similar through the week save for maybe 2 days near normal.

Likely to be later high temp registry across the area, west to east.

BDL bounced to 81 when the clouds tended toward less, and we jumped from 69 to 75 here as we've gone 60/40 in favor of sun.  S-N orient band is pressing slowly east - should be east of you in an hour.  Light rains within.  Then a sun burst 3pm with a spike?  something like that -

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

77/60 here is beauty. Warm but not oppressive. Just did yard work in the sun too, felt good. Good golf weather as well. 

We just call it like we see it. No met skills. It feels like spring finally the past 5 days. 

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

77/60 here is beauty. Warm but not oppressive. Just did yard work in the sun too, felt good. Good golf weather as well. 

We just call it like we see it. No met skills. It feels like spring finally the past 5 days. 

Couldn't ask for more. Might even sneak in a late day 80 or two in spots. Perfect for the cooking out.

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Looks like some more COC-a-doodle-doo ahead. Not sure we're the unrelenting heat and humidity talk came from lolz...

I don’t look at his tweets aside from what’s posted here but this guy is all over the place.

Loves beautiful sunny icons, while also hating on dry weather, wondering if it’s even worth growing a garden because he has to water it.

• Haha 1