Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Dog is actually on the injured list, otherwise she’d be rolling in every postage stamp pile she can find, ha.  She wrecked her knee and now has a plate and four screws in there.  Should be back hiking second half of summer.

Ugh. Feel better puppo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Some of it might be generational too. The last generations that grew up without reliable whole-house AC are dying off and those coming up now have never really known a situation without icy cold reliable AC.

The older folks in my family can deal with way more heat and dews than my wife and I can. They grew up without AC in Baltimore. 

When my my parents moved back down to southern Georgia in 1999 after 25 years up here, he said he had no idea how he grew up down there before air conditioning. He had been weakened by living up here. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

No one had A/C when I’d grow up spending summers in Woodstock, CT.  Zero.  It was hot and humid and you just dealt with it.

Today every family member with a camp there has A/C now.  My parents put in central AC there.

Maybe it’s less expensive, or more wealth in general, or a push to live more comfortable in general, but from childhood to now everyone around the lake/pond in NE CT has A/C now.

Some of it is the costs coming down and the technology getting better. It’s like everything else. When I was growing up, a trip to Burlington was sort of a big deal, now that’s a reasonable daily commute. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

When my my parents moved back down to southern Georgia in 1999 after 25 years up here, he said he had no idea how he grew up down there before air conditioning. He had been weakened by living up here. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Some of it is the costs coming down and the technology getting better. It’s like everything else. When I was growing up, a trip to Burlington was sort of a big deal, now that’s a reasonable daily commute. 

Yikes, I’m becoming an old man just spouting random, thinly related replies to people. 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Ha, me too. I watched youtube videos.  Honestly, they do have a nice straight forward easy to understand system for install, but its not the 30 second set it and forget of my old units. 

So you can open the window too apparently? How does that work if you have a screen?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

1995jul15rpts.jpg

This or bust.

Came through E-central Mass as it was dying, not very well reimagined from that artistry above.  But I recall being woken by the sounds of the wind, the dawn's light having belated by the advance of the outflow ink.   As I stood in the street under that skyscape gawking around ... trees swayed with distant occasional timbre cracks.  I saw a 'gust-nado' funnel.  Narrow of stature and form, it dangled half way to the ground, sloped backward slightly, like a rope does from a parade float. It moving swiftly over a distant tree-line before vanishing.  I don't think the wind really gusted more than 50 mph though, through the whole spectacle, and there was not much rain after.  The thunder, distant west during ... ceased before any crescendo past by .. The sun was dimly visible an hour later. 

What I also remember ... that derecho processed and truncated the heat back.  The mid west was incurring livestock and human causalities in a historic heat wave, on-going... In the 24 hour preceding, there was suggestion in the models that for a day, it may surge into the NE - the derecho slammed the door.  I wanna say ...there was even a forecast for nearing a 100 later that Saturday... (Chicago was seemingly routine at 105 for days at that point) If memory serves, we only made 94 - the big heat canceled back to PA by the outflow.

As a Met student... I was intrigued by the opportunity to be a weiner and experience that mid west heat, and felt that derecho symbolically stole it - and it wasn't even that entertaining as an event unto itself, not by the time that final arc drawn above on the right side of the frame was coming through.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Came through E-central Mass as it was dying, not very well reimagined from that artistry above.  But I recall being woken by the sounds of the wind, the dawn's light having belated by the advance of the outflow deck.   As I stood in the street under that skyscape gawking around ... trees swayed with distant occasional timbre cracks.  I saw a 'gust-nado' funnel.  Narrow of stature and form, it dangled half way to the ground, sloped backward slightly, like a rope does from a parade float. It moving swiftly over a distant tree-line before vanishing.  I don't think the wind really gusted more than 50 mph though, through the whole spectable, and there was not much rain after.  The thunder, distant west during ... ceased before any crescendo past by .. The sun was dimly visible an hour later. 

What I also remember ... that derecho processed and truncated the heat back.  The mid west was incurring livestock and human causalities in a historic heat wave, on-going... In the 24 hour preceding, there was suggestion in the models that for a day, it may surge into the NE - the derecho slammed the door.  I wanna say ...there was even a forecast for nearing a 100 later that Saturday... (Chicago was seemingly routine at 105 for days at that point) If memory serves, we only made 94 - the big heat canceled back to PA by the outflow.

As a Met student... I was intrigued by the opportunity to be a weiner and experience that mid west event, and felt that derecho symbolically stole it - and it wasn't even that entertaining as an event unto itself, not by the time that final arc drawn above on the right side of the frame was coming through.    

That thing was a beast in the Berks. Barry Burbank was on that morning and was super excited about it. But yeah weakened out but I still remember gusts 50+ And a brief power outage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

GFS and Euro both still honking low to mid 90s for Saturday for much of SNE into NH and SW Maine

It's hard to ignore the trend to gnaw at it though. 

5 days ago, it had that distant kind of omen that one gets when taking in all euclidean measures.  But those latter metrics got shaky since, and what was originally like a real 3 day heat wave idea, have become a day-long warm sector.

What's interesting though, the flow appears to be about as stretched as the models can possibly be ... without finally having to give up on on even a warm sector and just not allow it in at all... Have the fast, raging progressive zonal flow just oblate the rising eastern mid latitude heights altogether... suppressing to the Mason Dixie or so.   If you go to Tropical Tidbits, and click on the EPS' 500 mb height anomaly, click 168 hours ( 00z next Sunday), then clack the Prev button four times, you can see how the ridge is being corrected E.  If it corrects much more... it zones out entirely.

I figure these modeling tech will finally admit there won't even be a hot day and stop holding on... or, the pattern proofs poorly handled and the heat wave comes back.

One thing though, it's hard to make 95+ big heat on one day's notice around here.  We need "thermal momentum" usually to get that done.  You get an 89'er ...but the low that night is a sultry 76 at LGA/Logan... with 67 warm ground fog over Cranberry bogs.  Then it's 94/73 ... low of 79 that night, THEN it's 98. Maybe a little faster, but point being ... stowing from the previous day sets the table. 

The GFS  is attempting to saturate the column with warm frontal shits, zoom to 96, then back down to 72 or something... The period of time is subject to change.

• Like 2