Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

May is a summer month in NNE.

Its so hot with humidity coming up that all snow on the mountain has a surface ground fog bank coming off of it.

Pretty wild to see these streams of condensing air moving down trails and through the woods.

These are 2500ft range.

Looks like the Tolland Green on Christmas Day as Grinch dews move through.

1CA07B4E-9942-462E-AAAA-23BA9AC6CE99.thumb.jpeg.210d4dd4701eaece9362990035baee41.jpeg

426676F6-48AF-44E6-B4F5-94F1C7A05C96.thumb.jpeg.b8d4ceec13cc94c1fac3639560d0bd69.jpeg

25F20D4D-B131-411E-A31D-F340428C1591.thumb.jpeg.b570f285dafc22106e668658cc93d7fb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I can play first base , pitcher or outfield . I’d rather first base , for this team . Just got to be patient w slow pitch  , leg drive ,  hands back and inside ball  , hip rotation , accelerate thru Contact . Tip cap to milfs .

do they dig the long ball?

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Man what a furnace next weekend.

Hopefully it stays that way I’ll be in block island next weekend. I need the mainland to absolutely cook if I want to have a 70F + day there. Happened last year & a repeat would be awesome. 

13 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Scored 90.1 for the high. Nice damaging heat.

Sky has been super ominous looking the last few hours.

Looks like Wolfeboro scored a nice little banger. Small hail/gusty winds for sure. Could see the outflow even from our radar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

May is a summer month in NNE.

Its so hot with humidity coming up that all snow on the mountain has a surface ground fog bank coming off of it.

Pretty wild to see these streams of condensing air moving down trails and through the woods.

These are 2500ft range.

Looks like the Tolland Green on Christmas Day as Grinch dews move through.

25F20D4D-B131-411E-A31D-F340428C1591.thumb.jpeg.b570f285dafc22106e668658cc93d7fb.jpeg

LOL that is some gross looking snow. Dog willing to roll in it still?

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL that is some gross looking snow. Dog willing to roll in it still?

Dog is actually on the injured list, otherwise she’d be rolling in every postage stamp pile she can find, ha.  She wrecked her knee and now has a plate and four screws in there.  Should be back hiking second half of summer.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

18z gfs :lol:

The model thinks it's autumn beyond D5 ... That's exactly what you would typically see on a 12 day evolution of a September 10th model run...

Warm up followed by faux Sandy analog, with an uber deep trough phase... followed by another ridge way out there.  

It does this because it cumulatively lowers heights over the polar side/astride the ambient westerlies core as a running/continuous bias...  such that by the time it gets to D7, it has some 6 dm of surplus cold non-hydrostatic heights in nodal lows and the ambience in some scenarios - getting into a different matter, but it just adds more jet velocity and wave propagation speed to an atmosphere that already has too much of it.  But scooping of that cane and driving it into Maine is embarrassing -

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Glad I got AC installed. NNE can roast at weird times like this I've noticed.

It'll probably be in the 40s when I come back up though.

The number of people I know who have put A/C in over the past 5 years is very high.  Even folks starting to install pools and stuff. 

Not sure if it’s getting that much hotter up here or we are just getting that much softer that we can’t put up with any discomfort?  Ha, probably a mix of both.

Or it’s just a lot of people from down south moving up north and wanting creature comforts that the native NNE’ers were previously fine without (raises hand)?

Back to weather… first legit evening of T-Storms.  Constant flash and booms for over 90 minutes now.  Very slow moving stuff.  Torrential rain.

Been a solid light show.  All the summer feels.  Oddest thing is they are moving SE to NW, rare direction for T-Storms here.

E5BB09F8-8122-4031-8D28-9BB96025C401.jpeg.917b88cfbe16e88c5a7292348ca792f5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The number of people I know who have put A/C in over the past 5 years is very high.  Even folks starting to install pools and stuff. 

Not sure if it’s getting that much hotter up here or we are just getting that much softer that we can’t put up with any discomfort?  Ha, probably a mix of both.

Or it’s just a lot of people from down south moving up north and wanting creature comforts that the native NNE’ers were previously fine without (raises hand)?

People moving up is some of it.

I think it might be the increasing number of dewy days rather than any notable increase in average temps.

That said, it does seem like we break high temp records with ease these days.

• Like 1

Some of it might be generational too. The last generations that grew up without reliable whole-house AC are dying off and those coming up now have never really known a situation without icy cold reliable AC.

The older folks in my family can deal with way more heat and dews than my wife and I can. They grew up without AC in Baltimore. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

People moving up is some of it.

I think it might be the increasing number of dewy days rather than any notable increase in average temps.

That said, it does seem like we break high temp records with ease these days.

Good point on the dews.  The dews keep the nights from cooling off like they used to.  I think most of my need for A/C comes at night.

During the day if it’s hot or a bit uncomfortable, who really cares.  But I lose my mind sweating while sleeping.  I think the average minimum temps went up the most with the new 30-year normals.  Instead of 46-54F type mins in the fake cold spots, the number of nights of like 55-65F are vastly higher these days. 

No one had A/C when I’d grow up spending summers in Woodstock, CT.  Zero.  It was hot and humid and you just dealt with it.

Today every family member with a camp there has A/C now.  My parents put in central AC there.

Maybe it’s less expensive, or more wealth in general, or a push to live more comfortable in general, but from childhood to now everyone around the lake/pond in NE CT has A/C now.

Our neighborhood text group was all freaking out about a bear wandering through the yards a little while ago.

scared, dumb juvenile. I’m guessing one to two years old. I had a little talk with him and convinced him not to cross the road into the neighborhood and instead go back home.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Let's go!  Very exciting summer evolving

Hoping for a repeat of last memorial Day.

"When we look at the records, the 51 degree average high over the weekend is colder than it’s been this late in May since 1917. Now, before we go pat ourselves on the back for surviving the cold Memorial Day weekend, I will remind you that back in 2015 the first two days of June did not exceed 49 degrees, so it was even colder — and that was a meteorological summer.