Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

21 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I have a 12K, 10K and two 8K's.  I was coming from 3 old crappy Walmart units and a 15 year old portable unit.   They really are unbelievably quiet.  My window units were 5K and portable 9K, so it was upgrade in every sense for me.  It is really nice to be able to be out all day and use the app and have run them for a few hours so it is cool when you get home.  I know alot of window units now have wifi, but this was a change for me.

I think SJones or someone mentioned that is kind of nice to have the extra light as well, they actually look pretty nice from the inside aesthetically.  I wouldn't say they are difficult to install, but a bit tedious.  I am definitely happy with them considering what I was coming from, total night and day. 

Getting mine Sunday. Installation is pretty different but should be easy. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What does tedious mean? I can get angry when I do that stuff lol.

Just immediately look up the manual and go step by step. Not really difficult for a new unit. Basically set outside bracket and extension arms. Looking forward to it. May buy 2 more this week after testing 1. Question for those with multiple.  Can you control more than 1 with App. That feature was a seller for me as we are not home a lot and I need to keep the pups cool especially big boy who hates heat. Being a St Bernard Husky it's understandable. Will sleep in the snow at 0⁰ though. Dog like owner I guess.

20220214_100936.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just immediately look up the manual and go step by step. Not really difficult for a new unit. Basically set outside bracket and extension arms. Looking forward to it. May buy 2 more this week after testing 1. Question for those with multiple.  Can you control more than 1 with App. That feature was a seller for me as we are not home a lot and I need to keep the pups cool especially big boy who hates heat. Being a St Bernard Husky it's understandable. Will sleep in the snow at 0⁰ though. Dog like owner I guess.

20220214_100936.jpg

Yea Steve, I have all 4 units on the app and can control them individually.

'10 after 10' would get us close to our first 90 of the year but I'm not sure we'll make it.   There's upper ceiling/'mare's tail' cirrus blow-off from that ruined  Saturday stuff over the M/A. It's wafting up and appears to be getting more pervasive, per satellite. It might interfere with max heating. 

But ...we'll do 85 either way. 

That's a complete shit show from NYC south down the EC to the Va Capes though.   I'm wondering if the models might have been too aggressive in decay rate - it's the old cut off that butt-banged SE zones last week and kept the whole region in neg departures for days. It rotated a slow death toward the SW... stalled, now its remnants rolls up the coast.  F'n thing won't die! It is still weakening as it comes, but sat channels look like it's trying to claw enough residual life to be wet but warm (relatively) up this way later tonight and tomorrow.  

Either way, tomorrow won't be like today.  After that, we may than finally normalize that thing out and be left with humid sun and TCU on Monday.

Still looks like a breezy, seasonal cool back for a couple days mid week but as suspected ..the magnitude of CAA has been backing slowly off. I bet it ends up 70 with 28 mph wind gust type deal.  High UV due to purified air.   Then, we'll see if a heat wave is real - 

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How much rain tonight?

It's one of those weird deals, isn't it?  Yet if you look at satellite we're about to get 3 or 4" of tropical down pours overnight...

But the models insist ... despite the shit show on satellite almost nothing happens in Boston ( at least...), only .2" in NYC/HFD.

I hate this expression but perhaps it's apropos:  'dry begets dry' I suppose. 

'Sides, if we're going to historic heat bomb next weekend, best not to lay down a lot of heat absorbing soil moisture ahead.  Haha

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's one of those weird deals, isn't it?  Yet if you look at satellite we're about to get 3 or 4" of tropical down pours overnight...

But the models insist ... despite the shit show on satellite almost nothing happens in Boston ( at least...), only .2" in NYC/HFD.

I hate this expression but perhaps it's apropos:  'dry begets dry' I suppose. 

'Sides, if we're going to historic heat bomb next weekend, best not to lay down a lot of heat absorbing soil moisture ahead.  Haha

They really weaken the showers as they move inland and we lose heating. Forcing is weak too. My guess is scattered areas of .10 and maybe a few lucky towns tickle .25

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

87 for IZG at 11, though TD has mixed down to 56 while most spots are low 60s.  Maybe a mini-door in Aroostook?  N winds, temps low 70s, dews +/- 50.  Yesterday they were about the hottest in the Northeast.

Oh it's real ..  I wouldn't say it is 'mini' at all.  The Euro's been flirting with that thing coming down for days, .. mainly holding off, but the 00z run looks like it gets down to about mid coast ...but by then, it is a mini lol.  I mean it's weakening. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They really weaken the showers as they move inland and we lose heating. Forcing is weak too. My guess is scattered areas of .10 and maybe a few lucky towns tickle .25

Kind of unfortunate.  Hate to say... I'd be willing to sacrifice tomorrow if we could go ahead and bust wetter. 

I don't care/want to get into any stein jocularity - frankly it's tediously boring and annoying... ha.  I just don't want my lawn and flower beds to yellow/wither prematurely. 

My experience with that is, if that happens in May it never really recovers, even if it gets wet later on. 

Not a lawn care dude.   - just sayin' what I've observed over the years. 

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Slept with ac on last night.  Still need work to finish leaf out but it’s rapidly moving now.

It's always weird visually when it gets hot this time of year with very minor leaves or even none at all... though it's changing every 24 hours.  A friend posted a shot from a golf course yesterday in VT, everyone wearing shorts, fairways nice and green, but the trees in the woods were still largely just sticks or some light green budding.  It doesn't look "right" ha.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's always weird visually when it gets hot this time of year with very minor leaves or even none at all... though it's changing every 24 hours.  A friend posted a shot from a golf course yesterday in VT, everyone wearing shorts, fairways nice and green, but the trees in the woods were still largely just sticks or some light green budding.  It doesn't look "right" ha.

Things change rapidly up in NNE. Couple day difference:

IMG_4697.thumb.jpeg.b90ff7320953b9b11241e8abf2882f29.jpeg

IMG_4696.thumb.jpeg.82fc10e7b295c0f03cc201bfe4937966.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

PF ...looks like you got some summit glaciators along the Greens... Might be some photo ops -

Heading up the road in a little bit for a hike, as always will have camera with me, ha.  

It's hot though, damn.  73F at MMNV1 at 4,000ft.

The simple garden thermometer at 3,300ft on the Snow Cam is in the mid/upper 70s.  That's very warm for up there in the spruces.

SnowCam.thumb.jpg.d1778b4d84b5bdf6f7f85c5bbf43514b.jpg

Recent flow on the Carrabassett River at North Anson (near where it empties into the Kennebec.)

Most recent instantaneous value: 639 05-14-2022   13:00 EDT

Graph of

No precip at all, and those "bumps" resemble diurnal snowmelt surges.  From Sugarloaf snowmaking trails?  (Gauge is 30 river miles downstream from "Loaf trails, no other snow in 'Bassett watershed.  Saddleback drains into the Androscoggin system.)