Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

15 hours ago, mreaves said:

I just ordered one of these.  It should be here Tuesday. I'm not ready to get mini-splits yet and this seems to be a better version of window AC unit.  Plus it's eligible for a $100 rebate from the state's efficiency utility. 

Let me know how those work. How did you find out about the rebate?

On 5/8/2022 at 11:05 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Let's see what it looks like in a week.

20220508_110248.jpg

On 5/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

Cool - definitely ... interesting study!

Week later. Spring fallish colors are underrated. Getting there but definitely late by a week.

20220514_083256.jpg

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

When I googled Midea U shaped AC it popped up at the top.  The State of VT has a utility company that is solely focused on energy efficiency.  They give a pretty big range of rebates on appliances, HVAC products etc.  I got an $800 rebate a few years ago when I installed a hybrid water heater.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mreaves said:

When I googled Midea U shaped AC it popped up at the top.  The State of VT has a utility company that is solely focused on energy efficiency.  They give a pretty big range of rebates on appliances, HVAC products etc.  I got an $800 rebate a few years ago when I installed a hybrid water heater.

I had no idea about that rebate until you posted that last night. I bought 4 of those suckers last year, guess time to get my $400. 

• Like 1

That is one "hell" - perhaps literally ... - of a heat wave on the Euro operational next Fri-Sat-Sun.   ( realize everyone's seen, just sayn'.

From this range, if I were just to rely upon the two primary metrics, 850 mb temp, combining synoptic overview, that suggests at 91 entry with extraordinary launch pad am yielding 103 and 102 ... on consecutive afternoons over the weekend.

Having not seen ens, RH fields/ceiling stuff... granted.  

Just an observation on that Euro run.  That's a deep old Mexico injection source of some kind of EML or at minimum ultra kinetically charged 850 mb sounding layers.  It is timed with and as there is +2 SD non-hydrostatic height expansion over top.  Gosh forbid that expansion in geopotential heights should balloon even more more.  Because that appears to maximize for/at 584 dm, what can hydrostatically occur within.  In other words, the total behavior there is such that it was trying to be even hotter but you are actually looking at ceiling scenario - the only limitation is the non-hydrostat depth.   If the geo hgts expand more, ...good luck. 

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That’s pretty good. I think NH only offers a $20 rebate on energy star home ACs, but that’s unfortunately how we roll compared to the other New England states.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s pretty good. I think NH only offers a $20 rebate on energy star home ACs, but that’s unfortunately how we roll compared to the other New England states.

It is pretty good.  I think I paid $357 for the AC, including tax so its a pretty decent percentage of the purchase price for this unit.  It's funded by an "Energy Efficiency Charge" on our power bills.  So I guess I'm just getting some of my money back.   I think I got a $50 or $75 rebate when I bought an Energy Star rated dishwasher too.

18 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I had no idea about that rebate until you posted that last night. I bought 4 of those suckers last year, guess time to get my $400. 

Those Midea units have absolutely stunning efficiency. Variable capacity inverter DC driven compressors in a window unit. Its basically a mini split in a window unit. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I have a 12K, 10K and two 8K's.  I was coming from 3 old crappy Walmart units and a 15 year old portable unit.   They really are unbelievably quiet.  My window units were 5K and portable 9K, so it was upgrade in every sense for me.  It is really nice to be able to be out all day and use the app and have run them for a few hours so it is cool when you get home.  I know alot of window units now have wifi, but this was a change for me.

I think SJones or someone mentioned that is kind of nice to have the extra light as well, they actually look pretty nice from the inside aesthetically.  I wouldn't say they are difficult to install, but a bit tedious.  I am definitely happy with them considering what I was coming from, total night and day. 

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Right ... 'Live free to profligate natural resources or die'  lol

18 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Those Midea units have absolutely stunning efficiency. Variable capacity inverter DC driven compressors in a window unit. Its basically a mini split in a window unit. 

Yea, that is basically what I read as well. 

I pretty sure have posted before about how inefficient some of those portable units can be, what a difference when I got rid of my ratty 9K portable and went to the 12K Midea. 

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I pretty sure have posted before about how inefficient some of those portable units can be, what a difference when I got rid of my ratty 9K portable and went to the 12K Midea. 

I may get that for downstairs. My wife hates the one we have now.

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

What does tedious mean? I can get angry when I do that stuff lol.