Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I just ordered one of these.  It should be here Tuesday. I'm not ready to get mini-splits yet and this seems to be a better version of window AC unit.  Plus it's eligible for a $100 rebate from the state's efficiency utility. 

i got one of those last year, the 10k version. it is so much quieter than a standard ac unit, and works great. It might sound silly, but you will love the extra light you get, especially on the sides of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ma blizzard said:

good points! lazy analysis on my part (BD) was just taking a quick look. 

if we keep that look for Saturday tho, prob in contention for all time May records 

Looks like 97 (5/26/1880) is the number to beat at KBOS 

At NYC the mark is 99 (5/19/1962) - friends and I were playing baseball in NNJ, and when the noon 89 became the 1 PM 95 we went inside.  Fairly low dews, temp only fell to 62 next morning. 
May's top at CAR is 96 (5/22/1977) as I was insulating the attic of our tiny 2-story in Fort Kent.  Finished by 11 AM, thankfully, and we "only" got to 93.  The 21st was 86/30, widest diurnal range I've recorded that didn't include a sharp frontal passage.  The WSO only dropped to 69 on the 23rd, and that day's mean of 82 (95/69) is their 3rd hottest mean, topped only by 2 July days at 82.5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well no but compared to central air, it’s the better buy. I know a few years ago when In our old house we were quoted $18k for central AC compared to $9k for a min split system. I’m sure that’s increased by now though. Still, depending on the size of home, a MS is within financial reason. For you, just don’t drink beers for a month and you’ll have the coin to never have to stuff windows in and out again.

Looking at 16-17K for the splits. Buddy of mine from HS doing it . Said you still need oil heat in the cold winter months, but months like Nov/ Dec and April you can get away with no heat 

Just installed all new windows in whole house in Morch which was 14k

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looking at 16-17K for the splits. Buddy of mine from HS doing it . Said you still need oil heat in the cold winter months, but months like Nov/ Dec and April you can get away with no heat 

Oh I was referring to AC only. At your price point, Why not just go with central air?

yeah it's a good point Jerry made about 'ugliness'   - ...that's a lingering question I have regarding the aesthetics of them. 

I don't want necessarily this rectangular object just protruding from a random wall in bulk.    Maybe it can be adorned in some sort of indoor plants, drapery or a tapestry art or something?  I dunno... But I'm wondering if the more recent technology is bit less obtrusive looking too.  Few questions to get into still.  

Something different needs to happen, because this house is electric baseboard heat with dials on the wall... I dunno, from 1970 they look like. the covers are long gone exposing the guts, and they don't technically appear to work.  You rotate the dial ...it 'clicks' and you hear the base board elements start knocking like they're old and don't want to.  Then, it's a billion degrees even though you set the therm to 70.. it's like the sensors don't dim the circuit at the temp anymore.  It's about good for on or off.

Last year I updated all windows in the house with Power Home windows and they're really awesome.  The next phase is the heating and cooling.  Upstairs is a bread oven in the summer.  Not sure why, but an 85 F afternoon is 93 on the 2nd floor of this small house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Depending on the state you may get a nice deal.  In our previous house we put them in for $13k.  Dumped the oil tank and window units.  7 year 0 interest loan.   Basically I divided the total by 84 and the payment matched exactly.  They worked great but they’re pretty ugly.   We were in the current house for 3-4 years by the time I finished paying.

I don’t think they’re ugly . Not any worse than window units hanging from windows 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t think they’re ugly . Not any worse than window units hanging from windows 

How many will you have? We had 6 in our old row house and 2 monstrosities on the side of the house.  But the heating was sufficient such that we didn’t need oil and we got rid of the tank.  And that was a very cold winter (2013-14).

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How many wall mounted?  I got a quote for 5 wall mounted and 2 outside  condenser units and think it was 25-26K.  I guess had a little sticker shock, so I am sticking with the Midea's I bought last year for now...lol.

Granted, that was only 1 quote, I didn't totally shop around, but figured other would be in that neighborhood, even if a cheaper. 

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

How many wall mounted?  I got a quote for 5 wall mounted and 2 outside  condenser units and think it was 25-26K.  I guess had a little sticker shock, so I am sticking with the Midea's I bought last year for now...lol.

Granted, that was only 1 quote, I didn't totally shop around, but figured other would be in that neighborhood, even if a cheaper. 

Yeah quotes around here are much higher.