• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

I don't think it's that moist, at least under foot. 

It can't be.  Hasn't rained - at least here - in some 10 days or more, and we just went through a week of <30 DPs.... 

Plus, some yokel metrics of mine, like the brooks and Nashoba River flow rates, which typically run 90% or better this time of year, are less than that eye-ball capacity.   .. lol... yeah so some guess work, but no - it hasn't rained in a long time.   Now heat? 

Water table is different in hyrdology studies to surface strata...and as far as lawn care - which ironically ...I don't care haha - we'll see 'em start yellowing up sooner than normal if we don't get some rain at some point.   There's QPF mottling the richer air on these charts, so it may be a moot thing if get some air mass activity bubbling over the next days.

23 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Congrats Caribou. One of the hottest spots in New England right now on WU. 

Screenshot_20220513-143138_Wunderground.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-143248_Wunderground.jpg

By 2 PM, CAR, PQI and FVE had all reached 89.  Also IZG but no surprise there.  Still 99% stick season in Aroostook, so no tree-moisture to suck away heat, no shade to keep the old leaves from cooking.

love/hate relationship with the orientation of the Maine coastline with any southernly flow this time of year.  time sensitive but you can see the fog getting "blocked" by land.  

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-S_Maine-02-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

I'm flirting with fog while PWM and Casco Bay soak in sun.

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

84/ 66

...can feel it.  Just ( admittedly :facepalm:) installed upstairs.  

I'm actually likely investing in mini-split tech over the next year, so installing will be a thing of the past.  Friend of mine had those installed and said it's amazing how well they control the environmental RH and T, and don't really inflate e-bills. 

Mini-splits are a great option for those who still suffer from seasonal install and uninstall syndrome. Central is obviously king but it’s not necessary to spend double of what a mini-split system costs.

11 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

backdoor Sunday but Saturday MU 90s easy 

I don't know if that's a legit BD tho ?    Firstly, I don't believe it's gonna be there - and obviously we both know it's conjecture at this range anyway. But, that comes in on a shallow NW trajectory, and then lays down briefly stationary along LI...  

That said, that appears to be artifact of the model bias at that range to me. 

Either way ... that's 101er at LGA and Logan pattern on Saturday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Mini-splits are a great option for those who still suffer from seasonal install and uninstall syndrome. Central is obviously king but it’s not necessary to spend double of what a mini-split system costs.

yeah I've heard nothing but good feed-back.   

I'm (unfortunately..) seeking a new job.   8 contiguous years of decent salaried employment ended - on good terms ... but unexpected, nonetheless - back in January.  Then, my sister collapse and death.  Then I got Covid.   Then I officially decided I hate god ... etc...  you know, so a loaded plate has belated matters.  But I'm interviewing now

Anyway, that project was supposed to be done 3 months ago but I've had to put it off. 

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't know if that's a legit BD tho ?    Firstly, I don't believe it's gonna be there - and obviously we both know it's conjecture at this range anyway. But, that comes in on a shallow NW trajectory, and then lays down briefly stationary along LI...  

That said, that appears to be artifact of the model bias at that range to me. 

Either way ... that's 101er at LGA and Logan pattern on Saturday.

good points! lazy analysis on my part (BD) was just taking a quick look. 

if we keep that look for Saturday tho, prob in contention for all time May records 

Looks like 97 (5/26/1880) is the number to beat at KBOS 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Having a mini split system  put in early June  It ain’t cheap at all 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm (unfortunately..) seeking a new job.   8 contiguous years of decent salaried employment ended - on good terms ... but unexpected, nonetheless - back in January.  Then, my sister collapse and death.  Then I got Covid.   Then I officially decided I hate god ... etc...  you know, so a loaded plate has belated matters.  But I'm interviewing now

Anyway, that project was supposed to be done 3 months ago but I've had to put it off. 

Sorry for your loss and avalanche of negative circumstances but it’ll improve, I guess, partly, because it has to…as long as we don’t succumb to it’s mental pressure. 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Depending on the state you may get a nice deal.  In our previous house we put them in for $13k.  Dumped the oil tank and window units.  7 year 0 interest loan.   Basically I divided the total by 84 and the payment matched exactly.  They worked great but they’re pretty ugly.   We were in the current house for 3-4 years by the time I finished paying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well no but compared to central air, it’s the better buy. I know a few years ago when In our old house we were quoted $18k for central AC compared to $9k for a min split system. I’m sure that’s increased by now though. Still, depending on the size of home, a MS is within financial reason. For you, just don’t drink beers for a month and you’ll have the coin to never have to stuff windows in and out again.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Same here.  We’ve been delayed this spring due to back order of parts and supply chain.  Now expecting new Mitsubishi units in late May.  Mines getting finished as soon as they get them.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Keep your head up man.  Life can throw curveball after curveball but eventually you’ll barrel one for 450 feet to walk it off.