• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

This is the first year I’ve grown full vegetable plants indoors prior to planting. Should have started earlier, but coming along nicely now. Fortunately I get plenty of natural light. Would suck if I had to rely on a grow light. With 1st half springs like this, this is the way. Miserable otherwise. Even if you miss the late frosts/freezes these persistent marginal air masses cause everything to grow at a glacial pace. Not worth early planting. Period.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

28F at CON this morning, but not really close to the record of 22F. Most of the records this time of year are low 20s.

Kind of like maximizing the most disappointing condition while remain entirely unremarkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Another big wind day, of course 

Sitting down here on Hatteras Island in an oceanfront home, pounding surf and howling winds. From a weather standpoint, tropical storm like conditions for the past 24 hrs have been fun, but the kids want some sun. 

This feels if not looks like a Canadian spring, somewhere mid Ontario latitudes.  Laboring to green out until a mere month from solstice intensity sun?  It's eating into the warm season ( while the planet's destined to put up the 3rd or 5th warmest May in history, no doubt!) 

Another upper 20s morning - yesterday had 61/27.  Maybe we can reach 65 today, which would be the year's highest so far.  Leaf-out seems about average here despite the lack of real warmth, but may sprint ahead with the late week heat.  No black flies sighted, but I expect the little carnivores to be checking the menu by Friday, maybe even taking a nibble.  Most years the blood loss begins in the 5/10-15 range.

Sandy River is dropping quickly, already well below the 25th percentile mark, might be setting low-flow records next week if we don't get significant precip.  Forest floor is greening up, which might deter brush fires a bit though the wx is very fire-friendly.  Trout lilies in full bloom and some trillium blooms have opened.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

No black flies sighted, but I expect the little carnivores to be checking the menu by Friday, maybe even taking a nibble.  Most years the blood loss begins in the 5/10-15 range.

They were horrible here yesterday. I had to do all of my tree grafting closed up in the garage.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Decent freeze for much of NH. Only 32.0° here on the hill though. Should skyrocket when this mixes out. 

i bottomed out at 31.3 just after 6AM, with a little bit of frost on the grass. up to 60 already

47 minutes ago, tamarack said:

No black flies sighted, but I expect the little carnivores to be checking the menu by Friday, maybe even taking a nibble.  Most years the blood loss begins in the 5/10-15 range.

42 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They were horrible here yesterday. I had to do all of my tree grafting closed up in the garage.

Still nothing here.  Spent a good part of each day outside this weekend doing work around the house and playing golf and its been bug free.