• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Snowstorm Obs. 4/18-4/19

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The NWS Binghamton measurement shows 14.2" of snow for Binghamton. That would surpass the existing April record of 13.9" from April 15-17, 2007. The two-day mark is 13.6" from April 15-16, 2007, which would also be exceeded.

That puts Binghamton ahead of Syracuse and into third place in the golden snowball race.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

0.5 inches here and that’s being generous. 0.95” liquid.  Matt what’s your elevation?  You must be higher than my 380 ft. asl. 

Yeah, I am. I'm at about 530 feet.

But, even Baldwinsville the village, had way more than half an inch. I would say the village had an inch less than me...around 2.5 inches. Several times this year, there has been a very visible difference when I've had more snow than the village at just my bit of higher elevation.

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yeah I also have very little interest in joining the discord. I’m sure I’ll head there next winter if it’s the only option though. 

I’d like to have weather discussion here and everything else can go over there if people want to use discord.

36 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The NWS Binghamton measurement shows 14.2" of snow for Binghamton. That would surpass the existing April record of 13.9" from April 15-17, 2007. The two-day mark is 13.6" from April 15-16, 2007, which would also be exceeded.

Impressive.  KBGM is also up on a 1300' , or so,  hill at the airport. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Yes, we have found various ways to underperform the past few seasons. 

Seems like there's always been "something" with every synoptic event. This time, of course, was it is April 19th. If this storm had followed this track during WINTER, we'd be frolicking in foot + snowfall throughout the entire Syracuse region.

3 minutes ago, cny rider said:

I’d like to have weather discussion here and everything else can go over there if people want to use discord.

For the most part I'd support that.   Not a fan of yet another social media platform but it is easy to use.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Seems like there's always been "something" with every synoptic event. This time, of course, was it is April 19th. If this storm had followed this track during WINTER, we'd be frolicking in foot + snowfall throughout the entire Syracuse region.

It has been discouraging. But one thing I'd say is that the lower res models that were showing 6+" in this area generally, were whacked. And I think we all knew that. So today was not a surprise. For me anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Elevantion notwithstanding, it was an amazing event. Based on some of last night's radar, the snow fell really heavily at times (probably near 3" per hour in spots).

Last night on Facebook NWS Binghamton reported 3 inches between 1 and 2 AM at KBGM. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I was up until after 2 last night and when the temperature here got stuck on 36 for 2 hours at the height of the storm I knew it was going to bust.   My overnight minimum was 33. 

I was up late watching Better Call Saul S6 premiere that I had recorded. By 1 a.m. I turned in and it was still a mix, more R than S it appeared.

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I was up late watching Better Call Saul S6 premiere that I had recorded. By 1 a.m. I turned in and it was still a mix, more R than S it appeared.

I recorded that too, haven’t watched it yet. It didn’t start flipping here until almost 2:30. 

1 minute ago, CNY_WX said:

I recorded that too, haven’t watched it yet. It didn’t start flipping here until almost 2:30. 

I have to watch it again and let it sink in. It was weird I thought.  I'd guess half of the qpf was just rain , so maybe we had 0.45" of snow and about 2" accum. Horrendous ratio that most models don't seem to he able to see...warm ground temps make it more pronounced.  Maybe Kuchie would, but I didn't check those prior.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

Big time power outages around here.  Our local small time provider (DCEC) at one point had 75% of their customers out.  Of course that is only 4000.  They have whittled it down to 60% now.

Ouch, hope you get your power back soon. No snow here, bummer. I'm jealous! Had .21" of rain and no wind. 

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

Last night on Facebook NWS Binghamton reported 3 inches between 1 and 2 AM at KBGM. 

We had a dusting at 11:15pm, 10 inches of white concrete on the ground at 2:15am.  Also broke a bunch of branches and trees, and we haven’t had power since about 2:30am, not expecting it back for quite a while.  Maybe tomorrow?  

A big branch took down our overhead electric service and pulled the pole to a 45° angle rather than pull the mount off the house!  

The sound from 2am to about Noon when I left for work was wild.  At 2am we could hear branches snapping (and the following muffled crash down to the ground) in the dark every 1-2 minutes all around us.  By Noon it had slowed down to probably one every 5 minutes.  I started trying to put broken branches into a pile but quit after two nearby branches broke overhead and came crashing down.  Not cool.  We have quite a mess to clean up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Syrmax said:

4 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

Wow. It flipped over here completely by 11:30 pm. The ratios were SO low though. I got up a couple times through the night and it was snowing hard, but taking forever to add up. So, got a few inches. There's still some on the ground up here on the hill. In the village there a few spits here and there.