• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JDinCT
    Newest Member
    JDinCT
2022 Spring/Summer Mountains Thread

7 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Happy Father's day to all the Father's out there! Basically tied a record low this morning of 46 degrees.  This weekend has been a treat!

Yes it has. Got down to 50 here at the house. This weekend has felt great!

• Like 1

Hey all! I am possibly moving back to the area this fall.  My fiancee and I are looking at renting a cabin with a large piece of property a 1/2 mile or mile or so to the west of the state line off 19 in Carter County maybe 10-15 minutes from Banner Elk.  The elevation is roughly 3300 feet and I wanted to get some insight on average snowfall, etc...  I would imagine being on the northwest side of Roan Mountain would contribute to orographic lifting in northwest flow events.  Based on my cursory analysis I would imagine perhaps an average of 30-50 inches per year.  I also imagine it is a bit warmer than banner elk/beech mountain during the summer. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chris21 said:

Hey all! I am possibly moving back to the area this fall.  My fiancee and I are looking at renting a cabin with a large piece of property a 1/2 mile or mile or so to the west of the state line off 19 in Carter County maybe 10-15 minutes from Banner Elk.  The elevation is roughly 3300 feet and I wanted to get some insight on average snowfall, etc...  I would imagine being on the northwest side of Roan Mountain would contribute to orographic lifting in northwest flow events.  Based on my cursory analysis I would imagine perhaps an average of 30-50 inches per year.  I also imagine it is a bit warmer than banner elk/beech mountain during the summer. Thanks in advance!

You will be sitting pretty up there for nw flow events at that elevation and being on the northwest side will certainly help in nw flow events. Also like you said it is a little bit warmer on that side during the summer. I travel through that area a lot as I have family in Southwest Virginia. You will do just fine up there in that area at that elevation. Beautiful country up there.

• Like 1

Another day where I received inch of much needed rainfall. The models suggest we could remain in a typical summer pattern into mid July. The days are getting shorter and Cataloochee will be making snow in another 4 months. 

• Like 1

What's been very cool today has been that we had a NW flow with the rain today so there was a lot of orographic lift in todays storms. We had a nice cool breeze this evening with a very low cloud deck that mimicked a very early fall day. Then tonight we have the NW flow still and we are getting some rain streamers that are setting up a bit across the mountains.  A very cool weather day for July.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Met1985 said:

What's been very cool today has been that we had a NW flow with the rain today so there was a lot of orographic lift in todays storms. We had a nice cool breeze this evening with a very low cloud deck that mimicked a very early fall day. Then tonight we have the NW flow still and we are getting some rain streamers that are setting up a bit across the mountains.  A very cool weather day for July.

I noticed that flow aspect to it yesterday, absolutely hammered at my house all morning and then in downtown Waynesville til after 3 pm.

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic