• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 10th - April 13th(?) Severe Weather, Moderate risk in place for Iowa today

three preliminary tornado reports, with large supercell, with 1" to 4" hail reported

* Until 830 PM CDT.

* At 743 PM CDT, a confirmed large and destructive tornado was
  observed near Ravenden, or 14 miles east of Cherokee Village,
  moving east at 45 mph.

TORNADO EMERGENCY for IMBODEN...BLACK ROCK and WALNUT RIDGE. This 
is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

9 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Have yet to see any visual evidence of this apparent tornado.

No CC sig on the storm either.

7 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Haven’t seen a CC or impressive presentation yet…is it too far from good radar?

Apparently this. Doesn't look quiet right to me.

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Region 8 is calling a shelf cloud a wall cloud right now.

Toss anything they’re saying.

It is a small town operation, likely with staff that is relatively young/inexperienced for these types of situations. I'd cut them a little slack.

So I found a few videos on Twitter and was able to take screen grabs. There is indeed a tornado, it was on the ground, and damage is already being reported. A few of you missed the point that this was wrapped in hail up to and exceeding 4in diameter. This prevents challenges to using CC and looking for the classic CC drops. Also, the area this tornado occurred you can pull from numerous polling sites. You just don’t get a great view of the storm no matter which one you use.

Now…..I don’t see a large tornado on the ground. So it’s obvious someone seen the shelf cloud and reported it as a large tornado. Other viewpoints showed it well and it was a rather small tornado. Really hope the NWS uses this as a case study to crack down on false reporting. Those people need to go back through skyward classes and need there spotter account revoked

B222BED4-8686-41B9-9C98-0AF180B4BC06.jpeg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

So I found a few videos on Twitter and was able to take screen grabs. There is indeed a tornado, it was on the ground, and damage is already being reported. A few of you missed the point that this was wrapped in hail up to and exceeding 4in diameter. This prevents challenges to using CC and looking for the classic CC drops. Also, the area this tornado occurred you can pull from numerous polling sites. You just don’t get a great view of the storm no matter which one you use.

Now…..I don’t see a large tornado on the ground. So it’s obvious someone seen the shelf cloud and reported it as a large tornado. Other viewpoints showed it well and it was a rather small tornado. Really hope the NWS uses this as a case study to crack down on false reporting. Those people need to go back through skyward classes and need there spotter account revoked

B222BED4-8686-41B9-9C98-0AF180B4BC06.jpeg

Delete the bottom two pictures. Those are reposts from December that people are trying to scare people with.

Looking at the traffic pattern in the area, roads are backing up for miles. Something indeed happened in swath from Rayenden, Imboden, College City. Likely a small tornado. Previous collage I posted on screen grabs are, again, a case study. Top picture was a shelf cloud reported as the large tornado. Bottom 2 pictures were screen grabs from a video going around Twitter that the media is sharing. That video is from December (thank you to MNstorms). Really think this situation needs to be assessed and reviewed by the NWS. Some serious changes need to happen going forward….inexcusable to throw a Tornado Energency for a scud bomb.  

• Like 1

Radar situation did not make this situation any better. Happened between 3 radar sites and none of them showed this storm well. Another case in point. Bottom picture was a split from a dual pane with CC. I initially circled the large CC swath that the radar was showing. I was spotting errors with the CC that could of been caused by the 4in hail. That’s why there was 2 areas I circled.

3ADFA535-E1DB-4CC0-8D4D-5BA49BC4C83E.jpeg