Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 4-6 Severe Outbreak

nwohweather

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Is there any kind of precedent for violent tornadoes in coastal cities? I feel like they are extremely rare (the recent New Orleans tornado nearly meeting the criteria).

Not violent, it's pretty difficult. From Mothers Day to Labor Day we really take on a fully tropical climate which lacks the wind aloft in sea breeze thunderstorms to put down anything. Also most stronger lows do not affect us as they go poleward as deepening occurs out of OK/TX in the winter and stay to the west of the Apps. It's certainly rare to see things line up, but when it does you have ample moisture to bring those LCL's down like yesterday

19 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Not violent, it's pretty difficult. From Mothers Day to Labor Day we really take on a fully tropical climate which lacks the wind aloft in sea breeze thunderstorms to put down anything. Also most stronger lows do not affect us as they go poleward as deepening occurs out of OK/TX in the winter and stay to the west of the Apps. It's certainly rare to see things line up, but when it does you have ample moisture to bring those LCL's down like yesterday

I was able to find two cases:

Galveston:https://www.tornadotalk.com/galveston-tx-tornadoes-september-12-1961/

Georgia: https://www.weather.gov/chs/TornadoOutbreak-May2008

There's a possible third in Tampa but I can't seem to find any info on it (I'm not counting the 1966 long tracker as F4 damage for that one was more inland).

There are others that are more inland (one West of New Orleans) but I decided to research only truly coastal locations.

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

One of the wildest tornado videos in history was that Myrtle Beach tornado that developed along a sea breeze front and roared directly down the beach in front of the high rises for miles. I think that was EF-2. Coastal fronts 9 times out of 10 wreck havoc on storms as they approach the beach and almost always cause them to be undercut and become outflow dominant. However, violent tornadoes and outbreaks like yesterday are exceptionally rare and the setup for discrete super cells like we saw yesterday out in the clear rarely materializes in that area. Really was likely a historic day yesterday but thank the lord it hit some of the least populated areas in the southeast. A really really close call with Columbia as well. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

One of the wildest tornado videos in history was that Myrtle Beach tornado that developed along a sea breeze front and roared directly down the beach in front of the high rises for miles. I think that was EF-2. Coastal fronts 9 times out of 10 wreck havoc on storms as they approach the beach and almost always cause them to be undercut and become outflow dominant. However, violent tornadoes and outbreaks like yesterday are exceptionally rare and the setup for discrete super cells like we saw yesterday out in the clear rarely materializes in that area. Really was likely a historic day yesterday but thank the lord it hit some of the least populated areas in the southeast. A really really close call with Columbia as well. 

I would imagine there are quite a few similarities to a typical Carolina Alley outbreak, just further south.

37 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I would imagine there are quite a few similarities to a typical Carolina Alley outbreak, just further south.

Yea it’s the same in all the Carolina’s. NC has more issues with wedge fronts in the springtime and many times tornadoes set up along the wedge front which bolsters activity in the Triad area in some events though those are rarely strong tornadoes. Really I think the limiting factors are storm track is usually west of the mountains and a lot of energy is lost coming over terrain and we being further from the actual low centers then In the Deep South/Mississippi valley. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

I was able to find two cases:

Galveston:https://www.tornadotalk.com/galveston-tx-tornadoes-september-12-1961/

Georgia: https://www.weather.gov/chs/TornadoOutbreak-May2008

There's a possible third in Tampa but I can't seem to find any info on it (I'm not counting the 1966 long tracker as F4 damage for that one was more inland).

There are others that are more inland (one West of New Orleans) but I decided to research only truly coastal locations.

The McIntosh County, GA, 2008 tornado damage is still very evident looking at the trees along I-95 near mile marker 50, which is just north of the GA 251 exit. The damage there is nearly 1/2 mile wide! (2,100 feet).

Here’s a link showing some of the awful damage:

https://www.southeasternphotography.com/Journalism/EF4-Tornado-hits-McIntosh/

I’m thankful that I live in an area where violent tornadoes have only very rarely been within ~50 miles. This one in McIntosh County as well as yesterday’s in the Pembroke-Ellabell area are the only two I’m aware of off the top of my head. Of course, any tornado is dangerous. 

Our bigger concern is obviously hurricanes, which themselves have produced many tornadoes in the area.

• Like 1

A tornado has apparently been seen in south central GA and is headed toward southside of Cordele. It is moving NE. From NWS, T.W. til 4 PM.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...   CORDELE, LESLIE, DE SOTO, DESOTO, COBB, FORT EARLY, GEORGIA   VETERANS MEMORIAL ST PK AND RAINES.

TW extended til 4:45 PM:

TORNADO WARNING FOR...   WESTERN WILCOX COUNTY IN CENTRAL GEORGIA...   SOUTHEASTERN DOOLY COUNTY IN CENTRAL GEORGIA...   CRISP COUNTY IN CENTRAL GEORGIA...    

AT 402 PM EDT, A TORNADO PRODUCING STORM WAS LOCATED OVER CORDELE,   MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.    

1 minute ago, nwohweather said:

If 17 wasn’t such a damn mess this time of day I’d for sure drive to it. Also to the east of Moncks Corner is very sparsely populated forest

Frances Marion has some pretty good roads and some pretty bad ones. Not the place to be when it rains. It gets washed out quick in areas. 

3 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Honestly the bridges would be the best place to see it

Good luck with that anywhere this time of day  :lol:   Actually Hell Hole Road would be the perfect place to intercept. 

EDIT: You'd have to know the roads well in the forest though  ;) 

• Like 1

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...   NORTHWESTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...   NORTHEASTERN LEON COUNTY IN BIG BEND OF FLORIDA...

* UNTIL 600 PM EDT.

* AT 529 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED 8 MILES NORTHEAST OF TALLAHASSEE, MOVING EAST AT 25   MPH.  

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to April 4-6 Severe Outbreak
12 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Brett Adair in Sumter County Ga showing a TOG

Awesome video in my opinion because it shows so well what the "tightening of the couplet" looks like in real life. Rapid condensation occurring around the funnel at the LCL but a broad and general swirl in the cloud, yet intense rotation at the actual funnel itself. It's incredible how quickly the velocity of wind intensifies around a tornado, you go from a solid breeze at the inflow to insanity pretty quickly

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...   SOUTHWESTERN LOWNDES COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...     * UNTIL 745 PM EDT.  

* AT 715 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED 7 MILES SOUTHEAST OF QUITMAN, MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.     HAZARD...TORNADO.     SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.     IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT   SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.   DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE   DAMAGE IS LIKELY.    

* THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM WILL REMAIN OVER MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF   SOUTHWESTERN LOWNDES COUNTY, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS...   DASHER, I-75 AT EXIT 5, I-75 AT EXIT 11, VALDOSTA REGIONAL AIRPORT,   TWIN LAKES AND CLYATTVILLE.  

AT 728 PM EDT, A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF   I-75 AT EXIT 16, OR 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF QUITMAN, MOVING EAST AT 20   MPH.  

Edit to add: 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WARNING FOR...   CENTRAL LOWNDES COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...     * UNTIL 830 PM EDT.

* AT 739 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED NEAR I-75 AT EXIT 16, OR 8 MILES SOUTH OF VALDOSTA,   MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA   755 PM EDT WED APR 6 2022

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WARNING FOR...   LAURENS COUNTY IN CENTRAL GEORGIA...   WESTERN TREUTLEN COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...   SOUTH CENTRAL JOHNSON COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...     * UNTIL 830 PM EDT.

* AT 755 PM EDT, AREAS OF ROTATION CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WERE LOCATED NEAR DUDLEY AND NEAR CHESTER, MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...   DUBLIN, EAST DUBLIN, DEXTER, DUDLEY, CADWELL, RENTZ, LOTHAIR,   ORLAND, ROCKLEDGE, ORIANNA, BARNHILL, MINTER, HARLOW, BREWTON,   LOWERY AND SCOTT.    

Edit:

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM EDT FOR   SOUTHEASTERN LAURENS AND WESTERN TREUTLEN COUNTIES...

AT 805 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR RENTZ, OR 12 MILES SOUTH OF DUBLIN, MOVING EAST AT   60 MPH.  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA   822 PM EDT WED APR 6 2022

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WARNING FOR...   CENTRAL EMANUEL COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...   SOUTHEASTERN JOHNSON COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...     * UNTIL 845 PM EDT.

* AT 822 PM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO   WAS LOCATED NEAR ADRIAN, OR 12 MILES SOUTHEAST OF WRIGHTSVILLE,   MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.     HAZARD...TORNADO.     SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT   SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.   DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE   DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...   SWAINSBORO, TWIN CITY, ADRIAN, STILLMORE, NUNEZ, KITE, COVENA,   MODOC, NORRISTOWN, NORRISTOWN JUNCTION, DELLWOOD, MEEKS AND LEXSY.