• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Remarkably warm and dry around here for the month so far, expected to continue another week. Normally the fall rains have set in with snow appearing on hilltops, but it is more like late summer with highs in the 70s. Leaf fall is around 10% instead of the normal 50% or more. Even the color change has not reached peak yet. 

The north central NM mountains (Santa Fe to Taos) will see the first good snow this week. I'd go with 6 to 12" above 10k. 2 to 6" above 8k. A dusting maybe down to valley floor in Taos area. Peaks further south across NM will also see some snow though amounts will likely be under 4".

On 10/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, ValpoVike said:

Still in fantasy-land, but the GFS thinks that it may be time to start up a winter thread in the last week of October.

We still haven't had a freeze at my house, about as late as I can remember in our 13 falls here. The higher peaks are still pretty much snow-free too. Can't wait.

3 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

We still haven't had a freeze at my house, about as late as I can remember in our 13 falls here. The higher peaks are still pretty much snow-free too. Can't wait.

Yeah, it's crazy.  Long's Peak did have some snow a couple of weeks ago, but it melted quickly. Up here at ~7300' daytime highs have been relatively normal, but we have not had a freeze at night either.  Forecast shows 33 tomorrow/Sunday night though...so perhaps. 

You guys can feel free to start a winter discussion, but as of right now, only a dusting of snow at 12000 feet means it's hardly much of a winter discussion yet.

In Ohio today, the freezing level is 2950 ft above sea level, as we are in a polar air mass that is nearly the worst weather we could have at this time of year.

alpine_visitor_center10.jpg

5 hours ago, Chinook said:

You guys can feel free to start a winter discussion, but as of right now, only a dusting of snow at 12000 feet means it's hardly much of a winter discussion yet.

In Ohio today, the freezing level is 2950 ft above sea level, as we are in a polar air mass that is nearly the worst weather we could have at this time of year.

Nothing yet. We did have the first freeze of the season at my house today (29 F at about 6:30 AM) but that ain't sayin' much. Dry as a bone the last two weeks.

There are less than 10mph winds at Fort Collins this afternoon, with summer-like temperatures. Meanwhile, it is snowy, rainy and windy in parts of the Mountain West today.  There are high wind and fire weather concerns for tomorrow on the Plains. The first snow, and by that I mean, only a winter weather advisory, has been posted for areas over 9000 ft at the Front Range in the near future. I guess the forecast has finally gotten to the point where there are winter storm warnings for the west, i.e. San Juan Mountains.

C9ED1r0.png

say goodbye to summertime-type views like this

VRzKE66.jpg