• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

11 hours ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

OT, but possible Texas and neighbor flooding in August not directly related to the tropics, as forecast the next 4 days, is that precedented?  I started a thread in TX/LA.  August TC flooding has been worse, 2017 for example, but this would be baroclinic.

During August 21-23, 1967, Shreveport picked up 3.83" of rain when no tropical cyclones were present. However, the high rainfall totals were nowhere near as widespread as modeled for the upcoming event. Much lower amounts were recorded in northern Texas.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up, since it's been >10 days without a post.

Monsoon season appears to be over for NE CO, after a pretty nice couple of months. The mountains visible from Denver have no snow at all- this is the 2-4 week period for that. Hopefully it will not last long. The summer heat re-establishes itself with 90s on the Plains for the next week, modified due to shorter days. Once that breaks, time for a fall/winter thread. It may be a while though... hopefully no major fires.

Fort Collins had the 2nd warmest August on record, that is, 73.8, degrees, and it slightly beats August 2020, at 73.5 degrees. It wasn't very rainy at Fort Collins or Loveland. If I had been in Loveland, the nearest CoCoRAHS would have been 0.67" of rain.

Denver had the 3rd warmest August, 76.1 degrees, which was cooler than August 2020 and August 2011, both 77.0 degrees. 1.45" of rain.

areas of south Denver: 2.19" of rain

At the place I'm at now in Ohio, it dumped rain several times in the month of August. In fact, I just saw 7.5x as much rain as I would have seen in Loveland.  There's not a hint of brown grass. The 75 dew points have gone away, and, of course, there was not a record-setting warm or cold temperature at all. On a side note, Toledo got to a dew point of 76 on two non-consecutive days in August, that ties for the highest dew point I've seen in 20+ years. I sort of saw a decent squall line on Monday.  Maybe that storm system could have been classified as a derecho across Indiana. So that brings back a lot of nice memories of getting 45-50mph winds right after the air was just muggy. 

RZYn1WE.jpg

On 9/5/2022 at 5:11 PM, Chinook said:

It's up to 102 degrees in Fort Collins with one local observation. Sheesh, is this September or July 4th?

Clipboard021.jpg

Even more remarkable is that it's with a whole lot of smoke. If it were completely sunny it'd likely be 100+ for 3 straight days in DEN. Really unprecedented.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chinook said:

I think it is looking southwest towards Chasm Lake. Maybe somewhere on road 7? Wild Basin Lodge (Sandbeach Lake Trailhead) is the wrong angle.

Yeah, sun angle would have the camera roughly N-NE of the peak- but weird that the RMNP website has the description of the camera with this angle around Tahosa on Hwy 7 which seems well south. Must be super zoomed-in as I've driven that route many times and can't recall that nice a view.

Related to weather, there is no snow visible on any of the mountains from Denver now. Getting a bit late for that. Hope this changes soon- supposed to be around 90 mon-tue.

I'm really going to miss watching Monday night football/Sunday night football starting at 6:40 Mountain time. That was quite convenient for having a slightly late dinner to begin the game and then having the thing be over with at 9:40. Right now I am seeing USC start a football game, just minutes ago. Start time must have been listed at 10:30 Eastern time.

10 hours ago, Chinook said:

I'm really going to miss watching Monday night football/Sunday night football starting at 6:40 Mountain time. That was quite convenient for having a slightly late dinner to begin the game and then having the thing be over with at 9:40. Right now I am seeing USC start a football game, just minutes ago. Start time must have been listed at 10:30 Eastern time.

You should have gone to bed early last Monday, unfortunately.  I bet you are looking forward to LE snow season though. I lived in Chardon for 8 years and I miss the insane dumps.

There will be a combo of a monsoon moisture band and a cold front moisture band. Models and NWS-WPC agree that there could be over 2" of QPF in the form of rain (or snow) west of the Continental Divide in the next several days. Chances for rainfall over 0.4" of rain at Denver look good. Wednesday will be the day when the temperatures drop to the 50s and 60's for the cities.

az0hyTm.png

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:16 AM, Chinook said:

Next quiz. Where was this taken?

kawuneeche_valley (1).jpeg

Quick Google search of "Kawuneeche Valley webcam" has the answer :) This view looks west toward the Never Summer range- you can tell because of the horizontal line where the Grand Ditch was dug a long time ago. The damage from the 2020 East Troublesome fire is still incredible a mile or two north of here - I was there last month.

"Located on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park one-half mile from the Grand Lake Entrance Station, Harbison Meadow in the Kawuneeche Valley teems with wildlife and wildflowers."

• 2 weeks later...