Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

GygZGZh.jpg

edit:

Denver International Airport has officially recorded a temperature of 100° this afternoon. This breaks the previous daily record high of 98°. This is also our second 100° day of the season. #cowx

Fort Collins-CSU has broken their record of 97 degrees. Boulder most likely broke their record of 99 degrees.

No8jn1E.jpg

zCQNIxA.jpg

It really seems like the mountains have been doing quite well with these waves. Great to see and hopefully it keeps the fires at bay. Down here in the urban corridor, it has been a bit more hit and miss. Certainly below average for the season so far. It seems like most days there are chances that fizzle as they drop off the higher terrain (as is typical I suppose?)

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Flash flood watch for my area today. Last time I had a FFW, I didn't get a drop of rain

The atmosphere is remarkably juicy this morning. My dewpoint is at 56 which is an oddity at this elevation. Today definitely has potential to be bad for those near or downstream from the burn scars.

Having scary memories of the Fort Collins 1997 flood, which happened on this date.  We have had pretty constant training t-storms with heavy precip since yesterday with a few breaks here in Laporte which is where 97' got going.  Some really impressive hail across the area last night as well.  This Twitter thread is sobering (see second post too): 

1 hour ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Interesting- the thunderstorms last night that dropped about a quarter inch of rain on us served to suppress basically all the rain for the Urban Corridor today. Was supposed to be quite juicy, but no sun=no lift.

I was thinking the same thing. Ended up with just a humid and cloudy day. I guess given the top layer of soil being so saturated, knock on wood, we may have avoided any big flooding issues. 

But let's run this rain back again in a week please. 

• Like 1

A lot of the data mining I do points to a winter of frequent light snows, that eventually gets to about average totals for New Mexico and parts of Colorado. I just ran a difference of proportions test, and heavy rain in June in Albuquerque ahead of a cold ENSO seems to meaningfully (p<0.005) enhance the odds of snow in October. We've got 11 Octobers with snow here in 92 years. But four of them followed an inch of rain in June, with cold ENSO in winter, v. only seven in the remaining 81 years.

1933 is the worst hurricane season on record in the Atlantic, so if you throw that out, as it is strongly negatively correlated to rain/snow/cold in the Southwest, it's actually a pretty solid list for snow for cold ENSO.

Fort Collins had the 5th warmest July (tie). The value was 75.1 degrees, which is higher than any monthly temperature for June or August. With a couple of very rainy days, Fort Collins had 3.84" of rain, which is effectively about 2" above average. This value over 3" was pretty localized, as Loveland Co-op station got 1.46"

Denver, 2nd warmest July (also, 2nd warmest month), only 0.99" of rain

Boulder, 5th warmest July

Greeley, possibly 2nd warmest July

maybe 1"-2" for the general Denver area, which, I guess is not too bad if it is up near 2".

12 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

Yes, thankfully.  Up here we had a nice hour or two of light showers which had no impact on the burn scars.

COCORaHS showed widespread underwhelmingness with a few heavier spots, like the new I-70 underpass.... we got 0.08" and the yard is crispy despite regular watering. I'm afraid our chances for more before the long dry fall are getting slimmer.

14 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

COCORaHS showed widespread underwhelmingness with a few heavier spots, like the new I-70 underpass.... we got 0.08" and the yard is crispy despite regular watering. I'm afraid our chances for more before the long dry fall are getting slimmer.

It has been the second weird summer monsoon in a row....where up here we are hoping for only light rain, showers or storms have been coming several times a week, and the grasses are still green.  While elsewhere outside of certain spots in the foothills could use as much rain as possible.  The exact same thing happened last year.

2 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

It has been the second weird summer monsoon in a row....where up here we are hoping for only light rain, showers or storms have been coming several times a week, and the grasses are still green.  While elsewhere outside of certain spots in the foothills could use as much rain as possible.  The exact same thing happened last year.

yes- seems like the recurring theme is for almost all showers to lose support once they drift onto the plains because of dry air/ground, and the 2-3 times where the air has been moist (especially the last 2 weekends), morning clouds have limited instability just long enough to keep convection from sustaining itself on a widespread basis once storms come off the foothills. Maybe we'll have one more shot next week before the monsoon shuts off for the year.