• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

102 at my house about an hour ago, hottest since I got my weather station about 2 years ago. 2 other PWSs in our neighborhood were also 102. AC can't even come close to keeping up. Yuck.

The last few years, we often seem to have skipped the normal transition in June with crazy hail storms, going directly to the hottest days of the summer June 10-30. Not nearly as much hail the past 2-3 years. Of the 21 daily high temp records at DEN from June 10-30, 13 have occurred since 2012, with 11 of those being 100+.  Six were in the insane June of 2012.

Yesterday, there were a large number of 100 temperatures in the West, including Denver. It was 99 degrees officially in Fort Collins-CSU, breaking the record of 96 degrees in 2013. The electronic thermometer hit 100.0 degrees at Fort Collins-CSU. Boulder, high 99 degrees, broke a record of 98 degrees. Limon: 97. Greeley: 96. Pueblo: 102. Colorado Springs: 96. Lamar: 103.

--

6/11: NWS Boulder: twitter:  This ties for the earliest calendar day 100°F on record for Denver (also in 2013). This is our 101st 100°F reading ever recorded in Denver (since 1872).

--

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 WAS SET AT CHEYENNE WYOMING AIRPORT   YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 92 SET IN 2013.     A RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 61 WAS ALSO SET YESTERDAY. THIS   BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 58 SET IN 1918.  

--

THE TEMPERATURE AT DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HIT  100 DEGREES. THIS TIES THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THIS DATE,  JUNE 11TH, THAT WAS PREVIOUSLY SET IN 2013.   THIS ALSO TIES THE EARLIEST IN THE CALENDER YEAR IT HAS EVER BEEN   100 DEGREES IN DENVER.    THIS IS 101ST OCCURRENCE, IN DENVER, THAT THE DAILY TEMPERATURE ROSE   TO 100 DEGREES OR HIGHER. OF NOTE, 55 OF THESE OCCURRENCES HAVE   BEEN RECORDED IN DENVER SINCE JANUARY 1, 2000. THE DENVER CLIMATE   RECORD STARTS IN 1872.

--

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 87 WAS SET AT LARAMIE WYOMING AIRPORT   YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 86 SET IN 2013.  

--

GtwHUSm.jpg

uEqXB7x.gif

The cold front is coming through, now. We have had a few days of mid to upper 90's. There are much cooler temps in Utah/Wyoming at this hour. Today, the upper level winds moved some wildfire smoke from central Arizona up here and it was hazy, perhaps visibility 20 miles to the mountains. I went to the mountain pass, and obviously not enough haze to inhibit seeing nearby mountains. I felt some cool wind gusts and walked on some snow drifts. I saw several areas of burnt trees from the fire in the upper Poudre Canyon in 2020. It's nice to know that there are many trees and structures near the road that were not burnt.

g1vm2qq.jpg

dOkuZO0.jpg

I am guessing a lot of the forest beyond this trailhead has burnt trees

GFCA9eh.jpg

8 hours ago, Chinook said:

tomorrow: the NWS has issued a somewhat rare heat advisory for us. The moisture from tonight should mix out and we will have dew points in the 30's again while the temperature increases to 98-99 degrees.

Reports are that they issued it due to wildfire smoke infiltrating the area.

Wow, what an awesome lightning show last night.  It started around sunset with intense lightning visible from up here down around Loveland, and then a cell popped between Glen Haven and the Poudre Canyon that lit up the sky at least until midnight when I finally fell asleep.  I haven't had that much fun storm watching in a long time.

This eastern Colorado airport (Yuma) has a moisture sensor that has been bad for a couple of days at least. That's a little weather comedy for you.

My place never got to the 90's yesterday with clouds.  The dew point did drop after the storm over the mountain ended, but it never got sunny enough to get Fort Collins or Loveland to 90 degrees.

Some areas west of Albuquerque had 1" of rain yesterday with the monsoon surge.

Clipboard02u.jpg

On 6/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, ValpoVike said:

Is that Cameron Pass?  All of the smoke, including smell, from Arizona yesterday had many up here on edge.  It was nothing of course, but indeed a good reminder to those up in the mountains that summer is here and to be careful.

It was Cameron Pass. I walked 100 yards in various directions. I couldn't really hike due to the fact that it was pretty much a swamp with 1 ft deep snow drifts. There is water running down the mountainside in random directions. I couldn't find the snowshoeing trail, but there was a sign that said the Cameron Connection trail was closed.  There are some trees that have been cut down and stacked next to the parking lot due to an avalanche. The Cameron Peak fire didn't burn the pass. The area west of Rustic has completely burnt mountainsides. I also noticed trees down next to the Crags campground. Now, you can see plenty of evidence of both the High Park fire and the Cameron Peak fire if you drive the canyon.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, ValpoVike said:

Wow, what an awesome lightning show last night.  It started around sunset with intense lightning visible from up here down around Loveland, and then a cell popped between Glen Haven and the Poudre Canyon that lit up the sky at least until midnight when I finally fell asleep.  I haven't had that much fun storm watching in a long time.

Radar estimates from NWS were 0.6" on the cell between GH and Poudre. This was over a drainage that was completely burned in CP, and last summer this amount of precip would have caused signicant flash flooding in my neighborhood. No impact at all from Friday's deluge, which is very good to see.  Perhaps last year's aerial seeding is proving to be of benefit for the Poudre and GH/Drake areas where they got hammered with FF's during monsoon last summer...and especially on the Poudre where there was loss of life from a burn scar runoff event.

We'll likely see the wettest June since 1996 for at least portions of New Mexico. I've been looking at 1996 more as a potential analog lately. Not in love with it, but there just aren't many Junes with widespread 2-3+ rains in New Mexico. It's vanishingly rare, assuming that verifies. The subsurface of the tropical Pacific for May-July in 1996 does look similar to where we are/where we are heading. The 1996 Summer was fairly cold here after the early rains nuked the heat. I've noticed that for the past 90 years, when Albuquerque hits 90F at least once by 5/10, you don't get "warm" winters - and that includes recent years like 2018 and 2020. 1996 was 89 on 5/8 and 93 on 5/13, so close enough. It's like a ~15% outcome for hitting 90 by 5/10, but it's a pretty strong cold signal for winter here, because it implies the heat was enhanced by the correct positioning of the MJO in late Spring for the colder cycles to come through in winter.

The pretty severe dryness in the past winter nationally (~80% of the Continental US was ~20%+ drier than average) is likely to snap back the other direction, and that in sense, the transition from 1995-96 like-dryness to 1996-97 like-wetness is in line with my expectations for winter.

I wonder what's the hottest possible Stanley Cup combination of cities, including one city from the Western Conference and one city from the Eastern Conference. On average, Stanley Cup final games occur on about June 1st-7th, unlike this year. It is difficult to keep the ice in perfect condition at this time of the year with outside temperatures of 80 or 90 with higher humidity in many areas outside of the desert. Maybe the hottest combination could be Phoenix and Miami. Then, Las Vegas and Tampa are also quite similar. Dallas is a possibility, but I think that Las Vegas and Phoenix average hotter high temperatures on June 7th. When Dallas played Tampa, it was the end of September 2020, so that is certainly not time of the year with the greatest temperature. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Doesn't seem to be looking good for much moisture getting into NE CO

Kind of typical for the monsoon. It'll always bias south and west, especially early season?  Fingers crossed it creeps up this was as models had been communicating for awhile. 

Definitely haves and have nots in June, with many mountain and SW areas of CO getting more than the rest, for a change. Good for them. I got soaked and hailed on during a mountain training ride yesterday, while home was just cloudy, cool and dry. Total June precipitation at my house=0.34 inches, all on June 1.