• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

20 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

Sorry to hear this man.  I totally understand what you are going thru...been there.  A threatening wildfire is huge stress, but a long duration threat is a whole different level of stress.  I had Cameron Peak fire two years ago hang in the mountains to our west for 3 months before it roared down.  Thankfully it all worked out and no personal damage, but the stress of potentially losing a cherished home is intense...almost PTSD level.  Hang in there and know that there are a lot of very dedicated professionals doing all that they safely can.  

EDIT: Also the biggest thing your family can do (if you can still access the property) is to mitigate around the home.  Take out any trees near the house, cut down any grass, and remove plants from around the home.  Also, clear the immediate area around the home of anything that can burn (furniture, firewood, junk, etc).  This really made a difference in our neighborhood, where fire blackened all around many homes but they didn't burn due to successful mitigation.

We are in East Texas so too far to do anything but watch. Only one family decided to stay in our neighborhood up there. The fire is now within one creek drainage from our neighborhood. Sadly the neighborhood is fairly wooded so its going to make structure protection difficult. All structures are wood though many have metal roofs so that should help. With humidity levels and wind direction the fire will likely be in our drainage as early as today and good chance by Friday. Of greater concern of course is in the valleys where people live and work and not so much for our vacation homes. The fire will soon be in the towns of Chacon and Guadalapita. It will be pushing towards Angel Fire after that. Praying for the safety of residents and fire personnel, this has been a very hard month for them and there is no end in sight.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, aggiegeog said:

We are in East Texas so too far to do anything but watch. Only one family decided to stay in our neighborhood up there. The fire is now within one creek drainage from our neighborhood. Sadly the neighborhood is fairly wooded so its going to make structure protection difficult. All structures are wood though many have metal roofs so that should help. With humidity levels and wind direction the fire will likely be in our drainage as early as today and good chance by Friday. Of greater concern of course is in the valleys where people live and work and not so much for our vacation homes. The fire will soon be in the towns of Chacon and Guadalapita. It will be pushing towards Angel Fire after that. Praying for the safety of residents and fire personnel, this has been a very hard month for them and there is no 

Two of our Firefighters from our small volunteer dept are down there working it as members of the Alpine Hotshots. Lots of good professionals all around I am sure. Unfortunately I think this is going to be all too common in the coming months across this sub forum.

The pictures are incredible and hard to believe. Seeing the smoke columns make 13,000 ft peaks looks tiny is hard to wrap around. And the fact that primary containment lines are being set up 20 miles from the current head of the fire is also. Those mountains are rough and steep with very dense but weak forest covering them. Thankfully not many homes in that area. This fire could easily burn into July or August or at least until it gets to the Taos valley. Imagining the area from Las Vegas to Toas burnt is tough as that is where I have spent my whole life visiting a few times a year.

32 minutes ago, CO SciFan said:

We just finished planning a ton of stuff and I am not super excited about protecting it all from frost. Any odds for a late freeze for FOCO/Laporte at this point?  Seems like the models are still divergent, especially on 

I think it is unlikely. Probably not an issue until around 6500 ft. But anything can happen. 

• Like 1

Here goes... point forecast for me for Fri-Sat has 0.85" QPF with 0.9" snow. We shall see how it dwindles, or doesn't. Would be great. Of course I'm flying out Fri PM so would miss the snow, but at this point a few tenths of slush doesn't excite me. Have to bring the container veggies in.

The eclipse was spectacular! Perhaps the darkest lunar eclipse I've seen. All my pictures are black though...

2 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Here goes... point forecast for me for Fri-Sat has 0.85" QPF with 0.9" snow. We shall see how it dwindles, or doesn't. Would be great. Of course I'm flying out Fri PM so would miss the snow, but at this point a few tenths of slush doesn't excite me. Have to bring the container veggies in.

The eclipse was spectacular! Perhaps the darkest lunar eclipse I've seen. All my pictures are black though...

Maybe the snow won't freeze the plants too bad. Let's hope.

19 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

I dunno but the Fri-Sat forecast is getting even juicier. I think this time of year, handling convection throws the models off a lot.

Agreed. Until I see the pros put it in a point and click forecast, it's probably out to lunch. 

Either way, the NWS is interpreting the models to still drop a really nice storm on the front range. 

3 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Yes, at this point it looks kind of like there will be a sharp elevation line below which will get an inch or so of slush and above which might get a ton of wet snow. Will it be 6000'? Will it be 7000'? We're on the edge of our seats! Tune in Friday! :snowing:

I called 6500' in an earlier thread this week.  Sticking with it :)

52 minutes ago, n1vek said:

Winter Storm Watch for the urban corridor/foothills signaling 4-10". I'd imagine it will be very elevation dependant. 

I want all of the moisture and none of the limb-breaking snow please. 

Yes. My lilacs here at 5650' have broken from snow during full bloom several times, but not in 3 years (and the bloom is almost over for this year!) And I will be away this weekend and my kids won't measure, so just as soon have the whole thing be rain.

Elevation list of frequent posters in this subforum (feel free to insert yours) from highest to lowest: guessing on order for many based on city. I don't think we have any in the "real" mountains over 9000 feet.

ValpoVike: 7310'

Smokeybandit: 6300'

Mayjawintastawm: 5650'

N1vek:

Co Scifan:

Chinook:

Raindancewx (Albuquerque):

55 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Elevation list of frequent posters in this subforum (feel free to insert yours) from highest to lowest: guessing on order for many based on city. I don't think we have any in the "real" mountains over 9000 feet.

N1vek: 5500'

Co Scifan:

Chinook:

2 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

N1vek:

Co Scifan:

Chinook:

5110 ft.

I hope my place gets the expected value of 1" -2" of snow or less.  See NWS- Boulder briefing (PDF) under the heading

"SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM TO IMPACT MUCH OF NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST COLORADO FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE AREA SUNDAY MORNING."

I kind of wish we had something like 70% chance of rain and 70 degrees, seriously.

My place got thunder/lightning and 0.03" of rain on Yesterday (Tuesday). I think maybe up to 0.10" in Fort Collins. There were few other areas that got much. I saw a shower of snow hitting the top of Long's Peak, so that was cool.

Precipitation and snow amounts nearest to me in the last few years. Annual means January to December, not some weird combo water year months or anything like that.

2012-2013: incomplete winter data, but 39.5" snow for just April-May

WINTER 2013-2014 : 50.8" 
WINTER 2014-2015 : 38.6"
WINTER 2015-2016  74.4"
WINTER 2016-2017 snow  38.3" with snow-water equivalent 5.33" 
2017 annual precipitation (Fort Collins): 18.05"

WINTER 2017-2018: 39.9" (Fort Collins)
2018 annual precipitation (Fort Collins): 15.06"

WINTER 2018-2019  44" (Loveland)
2019 annual precipitation (Loveland): 14.23"

WINTER 2019-2020: 79.9"  (Loveland)
2020 annual precipitation (Loveland): 13.15"

WINTER 2020-2021 snow 78.8" (Loveland)
2021 annual precipitation (Loveland) 14.37"

JAN 2022 18.8" snow  1.50" precipitation
FEB 2022 17.6" snow 1.24" precipitation
MAR 2022 0.88" precipitation, 3.1" of snow
APR 2022: 0.11" rain, no snow

WINTER 2021-2022: 39.5"  (Loveland) (or more?)

14 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

N1vek:

Co Scifan:

Chinook: