Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Grading Winter 2021-22

WxWatcher007

Regionally speaking as opposed to IMBY

October, December, February and March were all above normal (or well above normal) temps.  November and January were below normal.  This is against the revised backdrop of the 1991-2020 temperature norms which are already elevated.  Objectively the story of the past 6 months has been consistently above normal temps with occasional outbreaks of severe cold / wind.

Of curious note, the western Potomac highlands pulled off the elusive AN snowfall / AN temperature March.  Pittsburgh was +3 and had the most March snowfall since 1993.

Compared to "average", I'd give my final winter in NoVA a C. But, compared to what I've experienced the last 7 years, I'd say "B", because its been a relatively poor 7 years, with one NOTABLE exception in 2016.  Maybe my departure will bring better winters for y'all.

December: F

January: A+

February: F

March: F

I'll give it a B overall because January was so epic. Every other month was a shutout though.

January had:

-Biggest snow IMBY since HECS 2016, and 2nd biggest snowfall since I moved here

-Snowiest month ever IMBY

-First time since March 2014 that I had two WSW events in one month

-Sustained cold and snowcover for nearly the entire month

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 87storms said:

B- 

Could see why people would grade it lower, though.  Aside from January, it’s mostly felt like late Fall…generally cloudy and cool.  Ready for Spring to make a prolonged appearance.

I think it depends on the scale you grade it. If you grade it on expectations heading into the winter, I'd probably give it a B- or even a B because we seemed to think this winter might be pretty bad. But if you grade it on just a general scale with no expectations on what happened and how close it was to something better, that's where I went with a D+, but I'll admit areas not far from me had that one really nice storm I missed out on and that certainly would have bumped the grade a lot.

4 hours ago, osfan24 said:

I think it depends on the scale you grade it. If you grade it on expectations heading into the winter, I'd probably give it a B- or even a B because we seemed to think this winter might be pretty bad. But if you grade it on just a general scale with no expectations on what happened and how close it was to something better, that's where I went with a D+, but I'll admit areas not far from me had that one really nice storm I missed out on and that certainly would have bumped the grade a lot.

Looking back at chainsaw and generator use, truckloads of slash hauled to landfill, amounts of firewood burned, and just looking at the tree and wire damage that's still evident along both State and County roads....Many observers would say we had a hell of a winter. But, it wasn't all that great.
Still, these are things that don't happen but every 7 years or so.

I guess I'd go with a C+, maybe up to a low B.  So I give it a Ralphie award!  Certainly January was the highlight with the Jan. 3 event plus a couple of other smaller ones, and it was pretty cold too.  March had that neat event on the 12th (though it kind of underperformed in this area compared to others).  December was awful and overly warm with no real chances.  February was just a waste for a month that normally produces at least something halfway decent.

A Christmas Story - C+ on Make a GIF

• Haha 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic