Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Grading Winter 2021-22

WxWatcher007

Dec D

Jan A

Feb C-

Mar D

December and March are weighted lowest, as one is basically Fall and the other Spring in the lowlands. January was pretty epic for here with over 19" of snow and generally cold, with snow otg for many days. February was pretty pathetic with very little snow. The late Jan snow was still otg with cold temps for the first couple days of the month- that was the highlight.

In the end, snowfall for my yard was slightly above average, and the best pattern set up during the ideal month (combo of low sun angle and cold/snow climo) and delivered with 3 snowstorms and one snow/sleet to rain deal. It was disappointing that literally nothing else transpired after that great start, but so it goes with Ninas in the MA in a warming climate.

Overall grade: B-

Alexandria:  B (just slightly above climo with a double digit storm) but most of the snow fell within a few week period so can’t go higher than a B

Deep Creek:  C+…will finish with about 75% of climo and I would have given a higher grade but December basically featured no snow there including a complete washout the week of Christmas/New Years with temps in the 50s and heavy rain most of the week.  By far the best event was MLK weekend (which also makes it into my top 5 favorite events ever) with blizzard conditions, high winds, temps in the low teens, and about 18-20” of total snow.  Last weekend was probably the 2nd best event of the season.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

Dec: F

Jan: A

Feb: D+

Mar: B-

Overall: C+

Median snowfall overall again which is hard to complain too much about. January was very nice. March got some style points. A modest event or two in Dec and Feb would have probably pushed winter toward a B+. 

December: C-

January: A

February: C 

March: B- 

Overall Grade: B

Got 17.1” in Clifton. Way way better than last year. January was fun, and although I would have preferred a big 10”+ storm at point i'm satisfied with the nickel and dime act. Considering we have plenty of winters I hardly see any snow I would take this most years and be happy.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, CAPE said:

Dec D

Jan A

Feb C-

Mar D

December and March are weighted lowest, as one is basically Fall and the other Spring in the lowlands. January was pretty epic for here with over 19" of snow and generally cold, with snow otg for many days. February was pretty pathetic with very little snow. The late Jan snow was still otg with cold temps for the first couple days of the month- that was the highlight.

In the end, snowfall for my yard was slightly above average, and the best pattern set up during the ideal month (combo of low sun angle and cold/snow climo) and delivered with 3 snowstorms and one snow/sleet to rain deal. It was disappointing that literally nothing else transpired after that great start, but so it goes with Ninas in the MA in a warming climate.

Overall grade: B-

I agree with all you said about the winter. December is like a lost cause down here. I’d give January and A+ for us on the coast as we received almost 30”. Was hoping for a better stretch in Feb or March but it was truly a one month winter which is better than most. 
Thanks for repping the low elevation peeps. 

• Like 1

Sitting at 19.4 for the year, about 75% of seasonal average, had about 21-22 days with snow on the ground at measurement time, also about 70-75% of average. BUT, most of that was Jan, which I'd give an A- to, rest of the winter, especially Dec gets a fat F. First measurable snow was into Jan, fail. Overall, a C-. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic