Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22: Final Grade

WxWatcher007

On 4/4/2022 at 7:44 AM, Cold Miser said:

I put this thread out, but usually on the eve of Wiz's May 1st severe season to allow capturing all of those north country April snows, but @WxWatcher007 beat me to it. 

Not expecting an epic April, so here it is...

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: B+
Over average snowfall.

Snow vs. Rain: C
Too many cutters that really kept what could have been a deep pack for a good chunk of the season.  Rain sucks. 

Staying power/ (number of days) of the pack: B+
8 weeks of 100% snow cover, although there were a few of those days that barely held on with a few inches or so.

Local winter enjoyment: C
The ice was in and out, and in and out, and there were only a couple of snow shoe days, even after multiple 12" plus events.   

Temperature: B

Snow Storms/ events (quality/ quantity): B
Besides a 13.5" event, and a 20" event, the next largest event was 6". Many nickel and dimers to pad the stats made for o.k. events, but really nothing epic.  The long rainers to an inch or 2 of snow was a whole lot of waiting around for nothing...and then cold. 

Overall Grade: B-

My location was in a pretty lucky spot this season, while so many people west of me suffered, so I really can't complain overall.  

Exactly my thoughts. Great synopsis Garth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

We (more you, than me) were kings of Connecticut for a season.  It was kind of nice.

The more I look at video, radar and satellite of the blizzard the more impressive it was here. I mean 14 hrs under a 1/4 visibility is crazy enough. Top 5 winter event of my life for sure. Jan and Feb were good winter months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The more I look at video, radar and satellite of the blizzard the more impressive it was here. I mean 14 hrs under a 1/4 visibility is crazy enough. Top 5 winter event of my life for sure. Jan and Feb were good winter months.

Great event for you guys. I have admitted this to Kev before, but there is no question that south of pike has a higher ceiling for blizzards....the variance is greater, as scooter pointed out. The banner seasons are more epic, but you are prone to more ratters....although you wouldn't be able to discern the latter from the last several years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Great event for you guys. I have admitted this to Kev before, but there is no question that south of pike has a higher ceiling for blizzards....the variance is greater, as scooter pointed out. The banner seasons are more epic, but you are prone to more ratters....although you wouldn't be able to discern the latter from the last several years.

That's the thing, and I know you get it. Variance goes wild. What could be ratter seasons of 15" here will still give you 40". We've certainly seen that before. 

We're certainly due for 495 winters. You and I have been in some anomalies, but for different reasons. But you go from near Plymouth on SE and honestly they have not seen the anomalies that areas like Bob to Me over to Will and ern CT have. So who knows how that irons out. 

In some ways, I feel like I was sort of in your shoes in the 80s growing up. You had some good interior winters like 86-87 and 87-88. You also had some Cape blizzards. I sort of missed out on both. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's the thing, and I know you get it. Variance goes wild. What could be ratter seasons of 15" here will still give you 40". We've certainly seen that before. 

We're certainly due for 495 winters. You and I have been in some anomalies, but for different reasons. But you go from near Plymouth on SE and honestly they have not seen the anomalies that areas like Bob to Me over to Will and ern CT have. So who knows how that irons out. 

In some ways, I feel like I was sort of in your shoes in the 80s growing up. You had some good interior winters like 86-87 and 87-88. You also had some Cape blizzards. I sort of missed out on both. 

I hadn't given enough thought to the increased variance down there until you mentioned it....def true. We due to one of those seasons that either nail the interior, or the cape, and pork I 95.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would honestly rather win the banner seasons, than get 40" instead of 20".

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would honestly rather win the banner seasons, than get 40" instead of 20".

Your ceiling is higher up there than south of the pike. From a raw percent anomaly standpoint it probably isn't, but from an absolute snowfall total it is. You can get 100" a lot easier than a place like N Foster for example (I purposefully picked a pretty good S of Pike station).

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Your ceiling is higher up there than south of the pike. From a raw percent anomaly standpoint it probably isn't, but from an absolute snowfall total it is. You can get 100" a lot easier than a place like N Foster for example (I purposefully picked a pretty good S of Pike station).

Look at seasons like 1995-1996, 2004-2005 and 2014-2015....Scooter's area in CJ land beat me in all 3 of them.....def 2/3. Maybe 2004-2005 was close.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Look at seasons like 1995-1996, 2004-2005 and 2014-2015....Scooter's area in CJ land beat me in all 3 of them.....def 2/3. Maybe 2004-2005 was close.

Your area had like 125" in '95-'96....I doubt Scooter beat you that winter. The only one for sure is 2014-2015.

What about 2000-2001, 1992-1993, 1976-1977, or 1968-1969? Those were all huge winters up there that crushed the totals on the coast and S of pike.

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Double check 95-96 and 04-05. I think you may have edged me out in 95-96 in Wilmington.  Not sure of Methuen. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Your area had like 125" in '95-'96....I doubt Scooter beat you that winter. The only one for sure is 2014-2015.

What about 2000-2001, 1992-1993, 1976-1977, or 1968-1969? Those were all huge winters up there that crushed the totals on the coast and S of pike.

Yeah they did very good in 95-96. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah they did very good in 95-96. 

Yeah, I mean he's not in Pinkham Notch, but that area has a much higher return rate on 100" winters than where you are or down in Ginxyland.

Obviously the last few seasons haven't been good there, but it doesn't really change those stats. Nobody has been really cleaning up recently. Even last winter (2020-2021), the zone that was above average was not threatening any major milestones. You had like an area of 70"+ from where I am to ORH and some 60"+ totals into N CT and N RI. It wasn't a blockbuster.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

127.5" in '95-'96, but s shore still had the greater depth.

I wouldn't call 2000-2001 "huge"....probably low 80s here. It was like 75" in Wilmington. All I am saying is that my area never seems to amass the 40"+ snow depths that the s shore and ORH hills do. 

Neither of those seasons did, either.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

127.5" in '95-'96, but s shore still had the greater depth.

I wouldn't call 2000-2001 "huge"....probably low 80s here. It was like 75" in Wilmington. All I am saying is that my area never seems to amass the 40"+ snow depths that the s shore and ORH hills do. 

Neither of those seasons did, either.

Although close, I never quite kissed 40” in 95-96 and 04-05. Maybe some others did.