Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-22: Final Grade

WxWatcher007

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Right, everyone here is hunting huge storms, so for many folks east and southeast, the blizzard this year was an all timer.

I graded it a C for here, because although there were two decent storms (one 6" and one 12"+) the total snowfall was right around average (being between NYC and the places east of here who got the 2 foot amounts).  Even if we had gotten the 2 foot snowfall back here, it would in no way have been an all timer, as Jan 2016 was FAR superior to it in many ways (not just the 30"+ snowfall, but also for duration of 30 hours and wind and verified blizzard conditions for 12 straight hours.)

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don’t disagree with your points at all, I just think this entire forum puts a premium on high end winter events, and from me to you had an all timer.

Retention was generally terrible, and outside of the bigger ticket events, we basically did not get much snow, so I understand that aspect of it. 

For me, I don’t weight retention much here. We usually don’t hold snow much. I place a much higher weight on bigger events 

I honestly don’t rate it much either, but when you get a good dumping and it disappears quickly ( did both times) that is aggravating. 
I certainly could be arm twisted to a higher grade. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Oddly  enough the most satisfying stretch of snow on the ground was after the late Feb SWFE. It just hung around and I didn’t get aggravated by it melting a few days later like the previous events. 

Yeah that storm was good. I got a bit over 8” and it was dense typical SWFE type snow that was hard to melt even with the late Feb/early March sun angle. You can see why when we get a couple of those types of systems back to back earlier in a winter (like Dec or Jan with low sun angle), it sets the stage for a good pack winter. That stuff is just really tough to melt. Totally different than the blower fluff on 1/7.

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the blizzard here was pretty good too even though we didn't get into the max zone....but hard to complain about 18.5". I actually thought I was going to end up around 14 or 15 inches, but it just kept going into the evening with those rotting bands over us so that was a nice finish to the event. If I had gotten less than 15" from that storm, I'd prob lower the seasonal grade to a D+, but 18"+ storms don't grow on trees despite what George from Foxborough tells us.

43" is pretty bad for that area...is that total for PWM or GYX? It would be even worse if it was GYX since I'd suspect their climo is a solid 10" more than PWM.

Your area to SE NH and back into interior CNE is due for a big winter. I'm guessing these past 4 years are the worst 4 year stretch since the late 1990s there. '18-'19 was decent but it was better more into NNE (like Sunday River-Phin/Alex-BTV axis) than it was in CNE.

43" is my backyard, but GYX is only at 44". So it's been pretty disastrous for the WFO. The only worse season since the office moved here was actually last year. GYX should have just over 80" by now. :lol:

• Like 1

I put this thread out, but usually on the eve of Wiz's May 1st severe season to allow capturing all of those north country April snows, but @WxWatcher007 beat me to it. 

Not expecting an epic April, so here it is...

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: B+
Over average snowfall.

Snow vs. Rain: C
Too many cutters that really kept what could have been a deep pack for a good chunk of the season.  Rain sucks. 

Staying power/ (number of days) of the pack: B+
8 weeks of 100% snow cover, although there were a few of those days that barely held on with a few inches or so.

Local winter enjoyment: C
The ice was in and out, and in and out, and there were only a couple of snow shoe days, even after multiple 12" plus events.   

Temperature: B

Snow Storms/ events (quality/ quantity): B
Besides a 13.5" event, and a 20" event, the next largest event was 6". Many nickel and dimers to pad the stats made for o.k. events, but really nothing epic.  The long rainers to an inch or 2 of snow was a whole lot of waiting around for nothing...and then cold. 

Overall Grade: B-

My location was in a pretty lucky spot this season, while so many people west of me suffered, so I really can't complain overall.  

D- for me. 

20+" below normal, horrific Dec and Jan with a mediocre and warm February. Snow pack never disappeared, but there wasn't much, and what was there was solid ice for much of the winter. the "blizzard" missed me by a wide margin, so that didn't help the grade any

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 9:07 AM, SJonesWX said:

D- for me. 

20+" below normal, horrific Dec and Jan with a mediocre and warm February. Snow pack never disappeared, but there wasn't much, and what was there was solid ice for much of the winter. the "blizzard" missed me by a wide margin, so that didn't help the grade any

We basically had identical experiences except I was a little more generous with D instead of a D minus.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:44 AM, Cold Miser said:

I put this thread out, but usually on the eve of Wiz's May 1st severe season to allow capturing all of those north country April snows, but @WxWatcher007 beat me to it. 

Not expecting an epic April, so here it is...

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: B+
Over average snowfall.

Snow vs. Rain: C
Too many cutters that really kept what could have been a deep pack for a good chunk of the season.  Rain sucks. 

Staying power/ (number of days) of the pack: B+
8 weeks of 100% snow cover, although there were a few of those days that barely held on with a few inches or so.

Local winter enjoyment: C
The ice was in and out, and in and out, and there were only a couple of snow shoe days, even after multiple 12" plus events.   

Temperature: B

Snow Storms/ events (quality/ quantity): B
Besides a 13.5" event, and a 20" event, the next largest event was 6". Many nickel and dimers to pad the stats made for o.k. events, but really nothing epic.  The long rainers to an inch or 2 of snow was a whole lot of waiting around for nothing...and then cold. 

Overall Grade: B-

My location was in a pretty lucky spot this season, while so many people west of me suffered, so I really can't complain overall.  

I feel just about the same as you, we had a similar winter, my grades are a half point lower than yours across the board though, average snowfall give or take a few inches is a C to me but other than that agree with your take.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

I'd like to revise to a D-. Just checked the ACIS data and seems Nashua CWSU only recorded 35.8" from 12/1 to 3/31 and only 2 warning events. Which feels right based on my disappointment during every storm.

For much of southern NH, southern Maine and northern Ma it was a non winter. 

On 4/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

April is here, which (usually) means that unless there's a substantive event it's time to give out final grades for the winter that was.

Unfortunately for my backyard, after a decent showing and midterm grade of B+, winter 2021-22 completely flamed out. Giving virtually no effort to produce here, showed, and this will end up one of the most miserable winter's I can recall. 

Easy grade. 

Final grade: F

Oh, damn i was just going to make a thread as well. 

WxWatcher...that grade is pretty harsh. I mean this winter sucked but there have been plenty that have been way worse including 01-02, 06-07, 11-12, 19-20. If this is an F, those are like G or H lol. Seems like kind of an emotional response. I'm super frustrated too, but in the end it's all subjective. 

• Like 2

Breaking this winter down, personally and subjectively, this is what i see.

We had two notable/plowable snowstorms. One was in January and was a positive bust on a FX of 4-8" we picked up 11.1" with 4"+ per hour rates. It does get dinged for being all at night as well as melting quickly. Second one was in late January, the blizzard. Snowfall was underwhelming at best with only 7" total and rates that never got above moderate. Half was at night, half during the day. Overall, it wasn't awful, and expectations weren't too high, but it ended up being pretty much a Jan 15 lite (higher totals with a foot+ just 10 miles to my east). 

Other than that, there was a bunch of 0.5-2" little events that were either busts or melted quickly. The exception being Dec 8th surprise event which was supposed to be a coating turned into a 2.2" mini localized storm over S New Haven County. 

Positives:

Two warning events (over 6"), One double digit storm on the season, decent January, light snow on Christmas eve morning

Negatives:

No advisory level events (3" to less than 6"), No full daytime storms 75% of the two big storms fell at night, no snow pack that lasted longer than a couple days, nothing big on the holidays, horrible Dec, Feb and Mar, mostly warm (above avg)

Total Snowfall:

There's no records for here but based on my own personal records and experience i put the 30 year average around, but just under 40". All time would probably be closer to 32-35". I'm at 30.2" STD, which will probably be the final so we are a bit under average in terms of just straight snowfall. BDR is close to normal and BDL is way below.

BDR: 27.7" Normal: 33.1" 83.6% of normal

BDL 31.5" Normal: 53.0" 59.4% of normal

Based on my past grades for around these parts im going to go with...

Final Grade: D+

Past 7 years:

20-21: B+

19-20: F

18-19: D+

17-18: B+

16-17: B+

15-16: C

14-15: A-

Here's where we at, minus the squalls which i will update the totals if you guys in Fairfield and New Haven county add to your seasonal totals on New England Snow.

03.13.22_season_to_date_snowfall_update_4.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Oh, damn i was just going to make a thread as well. 

WxWatcher...that grade is pretty harsh. I mean this winter sucked but there have been plenty that have been way worse including 01-02, 06-07, 11-12, 19-20. If this is an F, those are like G or H lol. Seems like kind of an emotional response. I'm super frustrated too, but in the end it's all subjective. 

I’m a harsh grader, though I obviously had other stuff going on in my life. Sure, it’s probably closer to a 59 than a 20 lol but it’s an F all the same.

The second half was just so awful imby. I mean it was virtually close the shades to me.

If I were looking at CT as a whole or the region it’d be a higher grade, but for my patch of earth, this winter was among the worst I’ve experienced here.