• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021-22: Final Grade

WxWatcher007

April is here, which (usually) means that unless there's a substantive event it's time to give out final grades for the winter that was.

Unfortunately for my backyard, after a decent showing and midterm grade of B+, winter 2021-22 completely flamed out. Giving virtually no effort to produce here, showed, and this will end up one of the most miserable winter's I can recall. 

Easy grade. 

Final grade: F

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

April is here, which (usually) means that unless there's a substantive event it's time to give out final grades for the winter that was.

Unfortunately for my backyard, after a decent showing and midterm grade of B+, winter 2021-22 completely flamed out. Giving virtually no effort to produce here, showed, and this will end up one of the most miserable winter's I can recall. 

Easy grade. 

We’ve had way worse where you are. How do you go from a B+ to a F?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

After 1/29 I recorded 5.8", no snowfall greater than 2", and I'm under 30" for the season. Even the blizzard underperformed here in terms of snowfall. 

The cold was pretty impressive for a time, but that's not enough to bring the grade up. Obviously 2019-20 takes the cake for awful, but this one was garbage in its own right. 

24 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

After 1/29 I recorded 5.8", no snowfall greater than 2", and I'm under 30" for the season. Even the blizzard underperformed here in terms of snowfall. 

The cold was pretty impressive for a time, but that's not enough to bring the grade up. Obviously 2019-20 takes the cake for awful, but this one was garbage in its own right. 

BDL had almost 5” on 2-25 in the SWFE. You have had events more than 2”. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

BdL had almost 5” on 2-25 in the SWFE. You had had events more than 2”. 

Did they really lol? My local CoCoRaHS was much lower than that. :yikes: 

Not sure that changes much for me as my subjective experience was miserable, but I had (and still have) a lot going on. To me it seemed like fail after fail. Congrats points east though. I'm just talking mby. 

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Did they really lol? My local CoCoRaHS was much lower than that. :yikes: 

Not sure that changes much for me as my subjective experience was miserable, but I had (and still have) a lot going on. To me it seemed like fail after fail. Congrats points east though. I'm just talking mby. 

Yeah it’s subjective, but if you give it a F, then to me maybe you were too high for the grade end of January?

• Like 1

The twin cutters in mid-Feb that torched me with 60 degree rain and nuked my 36” pack really soured me on this winter. It was another late start and early end. Still beats a MD winter by a large margin, but I am ready for one of those winters of yore I have heard about where they need to clear roofs and remove snow with construction equipment. 

It was a D here.  25” below average on snowfall with only a few fun storms.  Two storms had 5” and one storm had 7” and those were the highlights. 
Plenty of cold so snow cover was constant but it was mostly a frozen mess vs fluff. 
but I’m sure some would think that’s even too generous. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Easy grade. 

Agree

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The way I weight the different months, by proportional average snowfall, that wouldn't be possible.  Currently we average 49.5% of total snowfall by the end of January, and if I had B+ thru then (didn't get close despite a good Jan) and then had F's from then on, lowest I could get would be C-, unless I had something like last March snowfall, where 0.1" (and that was generously measured) was so ridiculous that I scored it -1 on my 4 (A) to zero (F) scale.  +/- grades score X X plus .33 and X minus .33, respectively.  Months establishing new records for cold and/or snow at the Farmington co-op (129 yr POR) get a 5.  Subjective?  Of course.

Currently at D+ and given April/May's weak weight (6%), neither F's nor A's would be likely to change it.  That would rank this winter 19th out of 24, bottom quartile.  This winter and last are easily the worst consecutive pair since moving here in May 1998, and adding 19-20 makes for the worst trio.

• Like 1

I’ll give it a C- here. Though I considered a D+, but I can’t give it a grade that low when I’m just over 55” here for the season and climo is in the low/mid 60s.

But there were way too many cutters this winter which prevented my pack from ever reaching 20” and in my subjective grading I weight the holiday period a little extra which was mostly garbage (although we did get an inch of snow on Xmas Eve which produced a white Xmas). I also did get 4 warning events though which is ok (1/7, 1/29, 2/13-14, and 2/25).

Winter hill would get a D+ though since they did worse in the 2/13 event, blizzard, and the 1/7 event and their climo is already a higher starting point. 

C-.

Roughly average snowfall at ~30". The highlights include the surprise double digit snowfall with 3-4"/hr rates in January, but that gets dinged for being overnight. We also had an insane squall on 2/19. The blizzard was a major letdown. So sick of seeing all these systems with multiple lows. Eff that. Let's fast forward to beaches, beers, babes and bikinis.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’ll give it a C- here. Though I considered a D+, but I can’t give it a grade that low when I’m just over 55” here for the season and climo is in the low/mid 60s.

But there were way too many cutters this winter which prevented my pack from ever reaching 20” and in my subjective grading I weight the holiday period a little extra which was mostly garbage (although we did get an inch of snow on Xmas Eve which produced a white Xmas). I also did get 4 warning events though which is ok (1/7, 1/29, 2/13-14, and 2/25).

Winter hill would get a D+ though since they did worse in the 2/13 event, blizzard, and the 1/7 event and their climo is already a higher starting point.

43.1" is pretty brutal and feels like a D+, but considering the blizzard (legit around here) I'm going to want to give it a C-. Seriously, that blizzard makes me want to include it as 70, 80, 90% of the winter grade.

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

43.1" is pretty brutal and feels like a D+, but considering the blizzard (legit around here) I'm going to want to give it a C-. Seriously, that blizzard makes me want to include it as 70, 80, 90% of the winter grade.

Yeah the blizzard here was pretty good too even though we didn't get into the max zone....but hard to complain about 18.5". I actually thought I was going to end up around 14 or 15 inches, but it just kept going into the evening with those rotting bands over us so that was a nice finish to the event. If I had gotten less than 15" from that storm, I'd prob lower the seasonal grade to a D+, but 18"+ storms don't grow on trees despite what George from Foxborough tells us.

43" is pretty bad for that area...is that total for PWM or GYX? It would be even worse if it was GYX since I'd suspect their climo is a solid 10" more than PWM.

Your area to SE NH and back into interior CNE is due for a big winter. I'm guessing these past 4 years are the worst 4 year stretch since the late 1990s there. '18-'19 was decent but it was better more into NNE (like Sunday River-Phin/Alex-BTV axis) than it was in CNE.

I’ll call an avg winter a C(75). That’s for temps and snow. With over 60” for snow this year that’s a solid winter. Pros this year were the blizzard (hours in a deformation band which was a first for a storm like that). The storm earlier in January was a great band as well. Cons were December and March. Hardly any snow which was terrible. Like Will said, just couldn’t really get a sustained pack going. Would start to vanquish shortly after it fell. I’ll grade it around 78-79. 

20 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not sure how anyone who got 25+ inches in the blizzard can rate this winter below a B. 

That reeks of unrealistic expectations 

If the person weights cold and pack retention heavily, then they could. But for most people who post on here, I’d agree since most people here value large storms disproportionately. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not sure how anyone who got 25+ inches in the blizzard can rate this winter below a B. 

That reeks of unrealistic expectations 

It was a reason I tossed around a B-. We’re only talking a few points, but December and March were terrible. I give out As to upper echelon years and a B+ is near that. This was not even close to it. 
Honestly if we had a few minor events in December and March it would a be much higher grade. But to get very little snow during those months is not good at all.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a reason I tossed around a B-. We’re only talking a few points, but December and March were terrible. I give out As to upper echelon years and a B+ is near that. This was not even close to it. 
Honestly if we had a few minor events in December and March it would a be much higher grade. But to get very little snow during those months is not good at all.

I don’t disagree with your points at all, I just think this entire forum puts a premium on high end winter events, and from me to you had an all timer.

Retention was generally terrible, and outside of the bigger ticket events, we basically did not get much snow, so I understand that aspect of it. 

For me, I don’t weight retention much here. We usually don’t hold snow much. I place a much higher weight on bigger events 

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If the person weights cold and pack retention heavily, then they could. But for most people who post on here, I’d agree since most people here value large storms disproportionately. 

Right, everyone here is hunting huge storms, so for many folks east and southeast, the blizzard this year was an all timer.