• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring 2022

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You had one or two really good rainfalls last week when most south of Harrisburg received little to nothing. Going into that stretch of hot weather, that made all the difference.

I had an extremely wet spring/month of May, but after 5-6 days of predominately hot and or dry weather, my yard has turned quickly. I mowed last Wednesday and it's grown very little since. 

It happened THAT fast. 

I am stuck on mow 7.  If mid week does not work out, I may still be in single digits going into July.  There is a small patch in the back that is more shaded and it needed a trim up but not counting that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am stuck on mow 7.  If mid week does not work out, I may still be in single digits going into July.  There is a small patch in the back that is more shaded and it needed a trim up but not counting that. 

I'm at 21 I think but things have grounded to a halt. Really amazing how quickly it happens. I spent half the weekend watering the crap out of my veggies and flowers. 

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm at 21 I think but things have grounded to a halt. Really amazing how quickly it happens. I spent half the weekend watering the crap out of my veggies and flowers. 

We watered twice yesterday.  In the AM and by the time we got home late afternoon, some of the veggies were wilting.   Imagine in California where none of this watering can happen. Last year it was early June where I went back to mowing every other week.  It almost has to rain every other day to stop it from happening. 

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Agreed Jon.

Well, let's back down temps a little bit come football season. I've been at Heinz Field when it was in the low 80s and it wasn't super fun. 

You got me. And i agree, need cooler weather for FB. 

I too have been in Pittsburgh and Penn State and got burnt. Not fun. 

27 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We watered twice yesterday.  In the AM and by the time we got home late afternoon, some of the veggies were wilting.   Imagine in California where none of this watering can happen. Last year it was early June where I went back to mowing every other week.  It almost has to rain every other day to stop it from happening. 

I have a mix of a traditional and bucket garden. Most of my veggies are in buckets...soil was still okay down several inches but the top few inches dried out really fast. Grass is predominately green but it's getting brown on the edges and in certain areas. 

11 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

You got me. And i agree, need cooler weather for FB. 

I too have been in Pittsburgh and Penn State and got burnt. Not fun. 

Several years ago at Heinz we had lower level end zone seats on the closed end of the stadium - we sat there and wilted until the sun sank below the west upper level. That wasn't until the 4th quarter, and we were already fried. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have a mix of a traditional and bucket garden. Most of my veggies are in buckets...soil was still okay down several inches but the top few inches dried out really fast. Grass is predominately green but it's getting brown on the edges and in certain areas. 

Our potted plants/veggies are the ones that are drying out the same day I water them.  Mint especially.  

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Our potted plants/veggies are the ones that are drying out the same day I water them.  Mint especially.  

We have a lot of mint.

Our tomatoes look strong and healthy. Peppers and cucumbers are struggling. Strawberry yield the past week or so has been bountiful. 

We've always done well with our peppers. Not sure why they're hurting. Might be bugs. 

Speaking of which, mosquitoes have been really bad the past week. Seems early. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We have a lot of mint.

Our tomatoes look strong and healthy. Peppers and cucumbers are struggling. Strawberry yield the past week or so has been bountiful. 

We've always done well with our peppers. Not sure why they're hurting. Might be bugs. 

Speaking of which, mosquitoes have been really bad the past week. Seems early. 

We have to keep the mint potted otherwise it takes over.  Our strawberries have been doing well here too. We have one pepper plant that we take in for the winter then bring it back out in the summer.  Will be year 4 of a harvest soo...from the same plant.    Not many skeeters here yet.  I would think, with proximity to the Susq, you would always have more. 

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We have to keep the mint potted otherwise it takes over.  Our strawberries have been doing well here too. We have one pepper plant that we take in for the winter then bring it back out in the summer.  Will be year 4 of a harvest soo...from the same plant.    Not many skeeters here yet.  I would think, with proximity to the Susq, you would always have more. 

Yep, they have been AWFUL on the river trail - there are sections that we now avoid because of how bad they are. This usually doesn't happen until at least July. Problem really ramped up the last week of May this year. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, they have been AWFUL on the river trail - there are sections that we now avoid because of how bad they are. This usually doesn't happen until at least July. Problem really ramped up the last week of May this year. 

We find that (even away from the river) when it gets hot, we prefer at least a windy day to try and keep the bugs away a bit.  If a warm, calm day it is sometimes not fund to take the walk. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You had one or two really good rainfalls last week when most south of Harrisburg received little to nothing. Going into that stretch of hot weather, that made all the difference.

I had an extremely wet spring/month of May, but after 5-6 days of predominately hot and or dry weather, my yard has turned quickly. I mowed last Wednesday and it's grown very little since. 

It happened THAT fast. 

Hopefully you & @Bubbler86  get some rains this week.

• Like 1