• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring 2022

@Bubbler86, @canderson, @TheDreamTraveler...

Thank you for your comments & well-wishes.  I can definitely attest to the bitter taste the Paxlovid leaves in your mouth when you aren't eating or drinking something.  Very yuck.  After 3 days on it, it does seem to have stopped the progression of the virus.  Did I mention that my wife became positive yesterday?  She's on the med now also and confirms the bitter taste.  She's doing quite a bit better than me...enough that she was able to work today.  I'm pretty sure I have bronchitis now.  I get it whenever I have a bad cold.  I have to be careful because it can progress to pneumonia.  So far things seem to have stabilized.  Perhaps I'm nearing the peak.

As far as weather, today was my warmest day of the year so far with a high of 93.6 degrees.  At least dew points remained in the mid 60's which kept the heat index down close to the air temp.  Looks like relief is just a few days away.  Only 90 days to the start of met fall !!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@Bubbler86, @canderson, @TheDreamTraveler...

Thank you for your comments & well-wishes.  I can definitely attest to the bitter taste the Paxlovid leaves in your mouth when you aren't eating or drinking something.  Very yuck.  After 3 days on it, it does seem to have stopped the progression of the virus.  Did I mention that my wife became positive yesterday?  She's on the med now also and confirms the bitter taste.  She's doing quite a bit better than me...enough that she was able to work today.  I'm pretty sure I have bronchitis now.  I get it whenever I have a bad cold.  I have to be careful because it can progress to pneumonia.  So far things seem to have stabilized.  Perhaps I'm nearing the peak.

As far as weather, today was my warmest day of the year so far with a high of 93.6 degrees.  At least dew points remained in the mid 60's which kept the heat index down close to the air temp.  Looks like relief is just a few days away.  Only 90 days to the start of met fall !!

Get well soon! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Summer didn't even start yet... :angry:

:P

Good retort!   The other thing to remember about this heat wave is that it is not going to meet the definition of how  some met's measure it.   The World Met Org requires it to be 5 consecutive days and even in the US, where some met's say 3 days is sufficient, it requires high humidity in the North East and I am not sure that has been met either.  

-----

The World Meteorological Organization, defines a heat wave as five or more consecutive days of prolonged heat in which the daily maximum temperature is higher than the average maximum temperature by 5 °C (9 °F) or more.[6] However, some nations have come up

In the United States, definitions also vary by region; however, a heat wave is usually defined as a period of at least two or more days of excessively hot weather.[9] In the Northeast, a heat wave is typically defined as three consecutive days where the temperature reaches or exceeds 90 °F (32.2 °C), but not always as this ties in with humidity levels to determine a heat index threshold.[10] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_wave

30 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Good retort!   The other thing to remember about this heat wave is that it is not going to meet the definition of how  some met's measure it.   The World Met Org requires it to be 5 consecutive days and even in the US, where some met's say 3 days is sufficient, it requires high humidity in the North East and I am not sure that has been met either.  

-----

The World Meteorological Organization, defines a heat wave as five or more consecutive days of prolonged heat in which the daily maximum temperature is higher than the average maximum temperature by 5 °C (9 °F) or more.[6] However, some nations have come up

In the United States, definitions also vary by region; however, a heat wave is usually defined as a period of at least two or more days of excessively hot weather.[9] In the Northeast, a heat wave is typically defined as three consecutive days where the temperature reaches or exceeds 90 °F (32.2 °C), but not always as this ties in with humidity levels to determine a heat index threshold.[10] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_wave

One thing for sure we were picking our strawberries in the garden last eve after 5 o'clock and the sweat was just pouring off of us. It was hot. That was our 3rd picking. So not sure we hit 90 today my NWS point and click says 88 for the high.

28 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

One thing for sure we were picking our strawberries in the garden last eve after 5 o'clock and the sweat was just pouring off of us. It was hot. That was our 3rd picking. So not sure we hit 90 today my NWS point and click says 88 for the high.

The models that have been predicting you do NOT hit 90 the last two days are fairly gung ho on you getting close to over the hump.  We have not hit 90 yet (this week) over here.   I played tennis yesterday afternoon and it was certainly hot regardless of humidity.   Some model suites have numerous showers over the LSV this afternoon so that is once issue that may cause problems for a reach of 90. 

19 hours ago, canderson said:

94 at 1:15

I was at a funeral yesterday. We were at FTIG at 2pm. it was a scorcher for sure 

16 hours ago, canderson said:

96 at 4:30

I was at our HS district semi-final at a 430 start.  it was brutal staring directly into the sun. I was disappointed they chose not to serve adult beverages, i drank 7 bottles of water in 2 hours. when i left i still felt dehydrated. 

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

MDT ended May with a hefty 6.67" of rain and a temp anomaly 1.9 degrees above average.  Looks like some rogue cells around this afternoon before a more widespread threat late tomorrow.  Beautiful weekend on tap.

Just to add that MU finished 3.1 degrees AN.

@Superstorm I can't fully download the latest temps on the wunderground site, but 60s are as close as the Delaware River and it's only in the low 70s in Chester county. Going to be an interesting day across the area to see who continues to bake and who pulls back under the influence of the front. 

Could be a 78 today in Paradise and 92 in Elizabethtown. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Superstorm I can't fully download the latest temps on the wunderground site, but 60s are as close as the Delaware River and it's only in the low 70s in Chester county. Going to be an interesting day across the area to see who continues to bake and who pulls back under the influence of the front. 

Could be a 78 today in Paradise and 92 in Elizabethtown. 

How hot are Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand going to get?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

How hot are Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand going to get?

Well...they both found Paradise, so there's that...LOL

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

MU often finishes more above normal than MDT does, not sure why that is.

Yep, I've noticed that as well. I guess the Conestoga River doesn't have the same cooling effect as the might Susquehanna. :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, I've noticed that as well. I guess the Conestoga River doesn't have the same cooling effect as the might Susquehanna. :)

But it's all relative, just departures from their own norms, so unless something has changed with the Susky or the Stoga versus the prior few decades, it shouldn't matter.  And yes I know that your post was mostly made in jest haha, but I can't help but think about these things.  The perils of being a weather junkie.