• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Spring 2022

9 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

He must have found a snowfall map for the immediate future we should be concerned about. I think Voyager will be proud!

I think Voyager is still working on his strongly worded letter to MU.  MU has gone from Dr. No to Mr. "keep the coat handy". Though Voyager did reveal some serious decisions he needs to make so I do not at all envy the position he is in.

Yes it's tough for him. There are a lot of people out there with aging parents going through the same thing. My wife and I took care of my grandfather who had dementia for 4 years until he passed. It was tough we only got a break for 2 hrs. a week from a program through the Dept. of Aging that a caregiver would come in for 2 hrs. once a week on a Wednesday.

20 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes it's tough for him. There are a lot of people out there with aging parents going through the same thing. My wife and I took care of my grandfather who had dementia for 4 years until he passed. It was tough we only got a break for 2 hrs. a week from a program through the Dept. of Aging that a caregiver would come in for 2 hrs. once a week on a Wednesday.

Wow, that is a tough haul you had to deal with.  Sometimes "life" really makes you question things and seeing beyond the negative side is tough.   I bet it was also hard to adjust back to a norm once you did not take care of him anymore. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow, that is a tough haul you had to deal with.  Sometimes "life" really makes you question things and seeing beyond the negative side is tough. 

He was in a home for 3 years till we got him out. If we didn't get him out He would have lost the property of 72 acres that we now live on. It was tough for sure...but we dealt with it the best we could. It's hard to see a person go downhill from what they once were. He was 22 days shy of his 93rd birthday when he passed away here at his home. There are a lot of people in todays world that wouldn't do what we did 35 years ago. It's easier putting them in a home. And when they go in a home they are not cared for properly imo. Sad one day we will all have to go thru being put in a home of some sort.

4 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

He was in a home for 3 years till we got him out. If we didn't get him out He would have lost the property of 72 acres that we now live on. It was tough for sure...but we dealt with it the best we could. It's hard to see a person go downhill from what they once were. He was 22 days shy of his 93rd birthday when he passed away here at his home. There are a lot of people in todays world that wouldn't do what we did 35 years ago. It's easier putting them in a home. And when they go in a home they are not cared for properly imo. Sad one day we will all have to go thru being put in a home of some sort.

Yea, lots of tough decisions in life.  The trend of both adult members of a "Nuclear Family" working make the decisions even harder.  People want to live the good life but it takes two salaries for many to have a shot at it...then becomes an issue when someone needs taken care of at home.   He would probably be thrilled to see he is being remembered by you. 

NWS Site questions at York/THV.  Wind shift can certainly change a temp but changing 9 degrees in 20 min suggest the instruments are not situated properly to obtain the actual temp of an area.  Similar to placing a traditional home thermometer in a sunny location can cause inflated readings that go down with cloud cover, placing one it is an artificially/micro-climate cooled location can produce readings that are too low.   It has always been known that the THV monitor was not accurate for the surrounding area (stated several times in NWS AFD's over the years) but this is a nice piece of evidence in that an east wind raised the temp to the actual correct reading of mid 40's.  When the East component of the wind stopped, the temp went right back down.

I checked for any Allegiant flights that may have been forced to land at York and did not find any records of a plane going off the end of the runway so probably not plane induced.   Maybe the Morningstar (now called Morning Sun I believe)  Flea Market started up their funnel cake fryers around this time.  They are just East of the airport. 

image.thumb.png.3e4c3e41d65560d54676d47afece01e4.png

image.png

35 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

NWS Site questions at York/THV.  Wind shift can certainly change a temp but changing 9 degrees in 15 min suggest the instruments are not situated properly to obtain the actual temp of a location.  Similar to placing a traditional home thermometer in a sunny location can cause inflated readings that go down with cloud cover, placing one it is an artificially/micro-climate cooled location can produce readings that are too low.   It has always been known that the THV monitor was not accurate (stated several times in NWS AFD's over the years) but this is a nice piece of evidence in that an east wind raised the temp to the actual correct reading of mid 40's.  When the East component of the wind stopped, the temp went right back down.

I checked for any Allegiant flights that may have been forced to land at York and did not find any records of a plane going off the end of the runway so probably not plane induced.   Maybe the Morningstar (now called Morning Sun I believe)  Flea Market started up their funnel cake fryers around this time.  They are just East of the airport. 

image.thumb.png.3e4c3e41d65560d54676d47afece01e4.png

image.png

Temp did a very similar raise for me as well around the same time.   Check out the graph on my weather underground site.   Winds were light around 2-4 mph then bumped to 8 and temp spiked into the 40s.  

40 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Temp did a very similar raise for me as well around the same time.   Check out the graph on my weather underground site.   Winds were light around 2-4 mph then bumped to 8 and temp spiked into the 40s.  

Well I think you are definitely in a Micro-Climate like location (as am I, my temp is not indicative of the Waynesboro area due to elevation).  The official NWS recording station should be at a location that is more smoothed for the area.  With that said, your changes were no where near as dramatic as THV.  You had a 7 degree difference in an hour. Wind mixing temps like you suggested.   They had a 9 degree difference in 20 min.   Chinook worthy? Your humidity dropped 20%, theirs dropped 35%.   I am not questioning the temps being real I am suggesting the sensors for THV are not indicative of the area as a whole and they are artificially lowered by a micro-climate.  What do they do about it?  Outside my pay.     Someone could have a large property with temp differences of 5-10 degrees if there are hills and a calm night so placing the therm. at the bottom of the hills shows artificially induced temps that the majority of the area will not realize.  Weather fun. 

Good call by [mention=423]Superstorm[/mention].  It did not get to freezing but the coldest mdt temp was on the morning he said it would be.

Winds the past two nights were too high to get temps low at MDTs location. Early this morning, conditions were much more favorable for radiational cooling.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

On my way to watch Phillies/Mets at Citi Field. Weather here in the city is spectacular. Mid 60s and sun.

Have fun! Perfect day for baseball and Citi Field is on my bucket list of parks that I haven't been to yet. 

Perfect day here - currently sunny skies and 67 delightful degrees.