• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2022

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@TimB, decent chance MDT gets between 210 and 220 days for the 80 record (days between 80's).   Something to watch.    We seem a lock to get in to the 200's now unless tomorrow is a shocker.  

Wow, I thought sure it would get there today. We got past 80 both days this weekend and tomorrow should be the 4th of the year to date.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Wow, I thought sure it would get there today. We got past 80 both days this weekend and tomorrow should be the 4th of the year to date.

Yea, it has been a consistent trend for MDT being below nearby stations...plus the east coolness today.  Mighty East wind blowing over this way right now. 

10 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, it has been a consistent trend for MDT being below nearby stations...plus the east coolness today.  Mighty East wind blowing over this way right now. 

Thing is, when you’re getting close to record territory it’s not particularly difficult to get a rogue 80 even in a coolish pattern. That’s probably a single digit departure from normal in a week or so. But if your GFS map up there comes to fruition, doesn’t look like the 80s come next week.

15 minutes ago, TimB said:

Thing is, when you’re getting close to record territory it’s not particularly difficult to get a rogue 80 even in a coolish pattern. That’s probably a single digit departure from normal in a week or so. But if your GFS map up there comes to fruition, doesn’t look like the 80s come next week.

Yea, the GFS has no 80's through two weeks.  But I agree, ther erecord is far from "in the books".  Just something to watch.  A bit of "luck" at this point as they had a 79. 

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And the park was not even open per their web site?  Were they understaffed? 

It's amazing how many places are understaffed. We lost so many people over the past 2 years. People like to think it was mainly old people who didn't work but a lot of people in their 20s through their 60s died too. One of my friends died who was 28 and my sisters boyfriend's best friend who was 30 also died from covid. Really sucks but I think people forget that can cause an understaffing issue in our economy.

Still though I'd rather go to the park on a cooler day like that than a day where it's 80+ and melting

2 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

It's amazing how many places are understaffed. We lost so many people over the past 2 years. People like to think it was mainly old people who didn't work but a lot of people in their 20s through their 60s died too. One of my friends died who was 28 and my sisters boyfriend's best friend who was 30 also died from covid. Really sucks but I think people forget that can cause an understaffing issue in our economy.

Still though I'd rather go to the park on a cooler day like that than a day where it's 80+ and melting

It is also one of those things like school bus drivers and teachers/police.  Some of the lowest paid jobs in our society yet performing some of the most important jobs.   Why will someone take $13/hr to work at Hershey when Amazon is paying $5-$10 more per hour.   So we get on rides that will instantly kill us and hope the $13/hr person is not checked out from their underpaid job. 

42 minutes ago, Newman said:

Western posters could see 70s and possibly an 80 for the Pittsburgh folk, us in the LSV will be socked in the 50s and low 60s with the easterly fetch and clouds sticking around 

Only 52 here at 10:00AM.  Heard rumor some schools may be cancelling some outdoor sports (ones that run late) Wed night due to the temps.  Surprised about that. 

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Only 52 here at 10:00AM.  Heard rumor some schools may be cancelling some outdoor sports (ones that run late) Wed night due to the temps.  Surprised about that. 

Seriously? I used to moonlight as a newspaper photographer, and some of the coldest high school sports events I shot were in the spring. One Tamaqua HS baseball game it flurried throughout most of game.

I can't believe how soft we're getting as a society. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Seriously? I used to moonlight as a newspaper photographer, and some of the coldest high school sports events I shot were in the spring. One Tamaqua HS baseball game it flurried throughout most of game.

I can't believe how soft we're getting as a society. 

I guess it depends on the sport.  This is track and field so are the folks really going to run in full track suits if it is 35 degrees?  Cannot have kids out there in tank tops at that temp.  Sort of takes away from the event when you have to change your uniform to play.    Football, baseball, the uniforms do not change just add some extremity coverage.   Imagine doing the high jump in full winter gear.  LOL.   LL Bean offical hurdles outfit.  LOL 

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

There is only one word for this: soft. 

Edit: Voyager beat me to it. 

Like I mentioned, track and field at 35?  That is questionable.   Kids going to run the 100 in a coat?  Promote kids to dress down for temps in the mid 30's and a law suit is a risk.   Temps in the 30's at 6PM during the last days of April is quite rare. 

38 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I guess it depends on the sport.  This is track and field so are the folks really going to run in full track suits if it is 35 degrees?  Cannot have kids out there in tank tops at that temp.  Sort of takes away from the event when you have to change your uniform to play.    Football, baseball, the uniforms do not change just add some extremity coverage.   Imagine doing the high jump in full winter gear.  LOL.   LL Bean offical hurdles outfit.  LOL 

i coached high school softball. We only cancelled for rain. 

If it was to cold, i wouldn't let my daughter use her bat. She once broke a bat and warranty wouldn't cover it as they investigated the temperature of the day it broke. $300 down the drain

edit to add- i don't know to many baseball or softball teams that cancel much. you have a certain amount of time to get your games in before districts. You need all the points you can get 

Just now, sauss06 said:

i coached high school softball. We only cancelled for rain. 

If it was to cold, i wouldn't let my daughter use her bat. She once broke a bat and warranty wouldn't cover it as they investigated the temperature of the day it broke. $300 down the drain

Yea, hitting in the cold is no fun either but for the most case, players can cover up pretty well in Baseball/softball. Some of these calls for soft should also be directed at the legalistic society we live in. 

• Like 1