• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Spring 2022

32 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Bubbler86 given what MJS, Voyager and myself reported, did the algorithm for that map somehow end up showing total snowfall where snow fell, and rainfall where it rained? All 3 of us had rainfall totals very close to the "snowfall" totals on that map? 

Likely not, which makes it an unlikely coincidence. 

We did not get almost 4" here though if the radar was simulated we very well could have.   Regardless it says regional ob's so not much about it makes sense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

18 GFS has a clipper like system bringing an appreciable snow to SW PA on April 27th/28th.  Book it?  Hardly...but like the rest of the last two months, something may come out in the wash with the cold air around. This April has been better winter wise than some of our recent Decembers. 

Dear God...NO.

Enough is enough. And I'm not trolling. I've seriously had it...

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

18 GFS has a clipper like system bringing an appreciable snow to SW PA on April 27th/28th.  Book it?  Hardly...but like the rest of the last two months, something may come out in the wash with the cold air around. This April has been better winter wise than some of our recent Decembers. 

BOOK IT! Dano 

3 minutes ago, paweather said:

BOOK IT! Dano 

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Dear God...NO.

Enough is enough. And I'm not trolling. I've seriously had it...

I actually avoided posting the NCEP Temp Percentages map for that time frame. Its fairly likely its going to be BN so did not want to stomp.  Snow chances are just the luck of the draw per se.   Warm probably 2-3 of the next 5 or 6 days. 

9 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I actually avoided posting the NCEP Temp Percentages map for that time frame. Its fairly likely its going to be BN so did not want to stomp.  Snow chances are just the luck of the draw per se.   Warm probably 2-3 of the next 5 or 6 days. 

It's just the lingering aspect. I don't like cold and snow, but I can accept it from mid November to mid March in its season. Now that we're close to May, I want the mild to warm weather to be consistent. 

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

It's just the lingering aspect. I don't like cold and snow, but I can accept it from mid November to mid March in its season. Now that we're close to May, I want the mild to warm weather to be consistent. 

Yea, it's defintely been a rocky spring.  Some extreme highs but despite it being near normal, if feels like it has been below.  The temps on the ec and gfs, next week, are very anomalous as the jet stream dips under us again...neg nao we needed in the winter has been persistently returning in April.  

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

A low of 33 here with a feeble smattering of rain and sleet yesterday. A pretty nice seasonably cool day on tap today. 

"feeble smattering" - ha, that's actually a great way to describe our "action" yesterday. Driving home from work I encountered a couple smatterings of said feebleness. :) 

• Like 1

Has anyone read Kyle Elliot’s latest weather discussion? If I’m understanding correctly it indicates that Bubbler, Cash, losetoa6 and the western crew might see some more persistent spring-like temps over the next week while those of us east of the Appalachians will probably have to deal with unseasonably low temps a little while longer.

I don’t really mind the delayed spring as long as “unseasonably low” is mid-50s or higher and without the insane wind (abundant sunshine is always a plus). As a warminista, I’m surprised at how much I’ve come to appreciate “sunny and upper 50s” days.

https://www.millersville.edu/weathercenter/forecasts/weather-discussion.php

“You might think that 80-degree warmth is a guarantee with this type of large-scale pattern taking shape. Unfortunately, the return of Greenland blocking will throw a wrench into the works. This "atmospheric road block" is indicative of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) going strongly negative, which can create a forecasting nightmare in the form of "backdoor cold fronts." These fronts get their name from the fact that they approach from the east or northeast, or "come in the back door," as opposed to the more traditional approach from the west or northwest. Typically, these fronts occur when a cold, Canadian high pressure system settles over southeastern Canada or northern New England. To the south of the high, east-to-northeasterly flow near the ground directs cold, moist air from the Atlantic Ocean westward toward the Appalachians. Because these fronts are very shallow, they rarely make it over the Appalachians and can be responsible for a 20-30 degree temperature difference between eastern and western PA.

1 minute ago, Streak said:

Has anyone read Kyle Elliot’s latest weather discussion? If I’m understanding correctly it indicates that Bubbler, Cash, losetoa6 and the western crew might see some more persistent spring-like temps over the next week while those of us east of the Appalachians will probably have to deal with unseasonably low temps a little while longer.

I don’t really mind the delayed spring as long as “unseasonably low” is mid-50s or higher and without the insane wind (abundant sunshine is always a plus). As a warminista, I’m surprised at how much I’ve come to appreciate “sunny and upper 50s” days.

“You might think that 80-degree warmth is a guarantee with this type of large-scale pattern taking shape. Unfortunately, the return of Greenland blocking will throw a wrench into the works. This "atmospheric road block" is indicative of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) going strongly negative, which can create a forecasting nightmare in the form of "backdoor cold fronts." These fronts get their name from the fact that they approach from the east or northeast, or "come in the back door," as opposed to the more traditional approach from the west or northwest. Typically, these fronts occur when a cold, Canadian high pressure system settles over southeastern Canada or northern New England. To the south of the high, east-to-northeasterly flow near the ground directs cold, moist air from the Atlantic Ocean westward toward the Appalachians. Because these fronts are very shallow, they rarely make it over the Appalachians and can be responsible for a 20-30 degree temperature difference between eastern and western PA.

I know that Training reads them. 

2 hours ago, Streak said:

I think (?) when most backdoor cold fronts make it to the Allegheny front, so Bubbler, Losetoa6 and Cashtown would all be affected by it. Typically, if my area is say 56 after the front moves through, it might still be in the lower 60s in the Bubble capital, but in the 70s or 80s say out in Latrobe. Every front is different but most backdoor fronts are going to cool just about everyone in here except perhaps MAG and our Clearfield crew. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every front is different but most backdoor fronts are going to cool just about everyone in here except perhaps MAG and our Clearfield crew. 

Good info - I guess we’re all in for the same likely chillier-than-average spring weather coming up. 

• Like 1