• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Spring 2022

Moderate to occasionally heavy rain, mixed with sleet continues to fall here in Carlisle just before 10:00pm.  The temperature has been slowly falling back down from the earlier 36 degrees back around 5:00 now down to 34.3.  BTW my low here this morning before the clouds rolled in was 26.4 making today really feel like February.  No accumulation here today though it did snow for quite a few hours early to mid afternoon.  That deformation band really does look nice affecting parts of our area during the night.  I just forgot the model Bliz just showed where my area is still forecast to receive 4" of accumulation by morning.  I'll be happy to wake up to a coating to maybe a half-inch.

Then it's off to Lake Wales / Winterhaven Florida later tomorrow morning.  This intensifying coastal is sending a strong cold front down through most of the peninsula which will lead to glorious weather with highs in the low 80's and lows around 60 with lots of sunshine through the rest of this week.  Very excited to visit a close childhood friend I haven't seen in over 20 years.  He's my NWS friend who just retired last year from the Blacksburg, VA forecast office after nearly 20 years as the meteorologist-in-charge there.

• Like 1

Still some steady snow falling. The total for the event is currently 4.6” here at 1300’… the majority of which (about the first 3” or so) fell between about 12-3pm. I caved and brought the snowblower back to clear the driveway this afternoon.

I got a rough measurement at the top of Wopsy Mountain 4 miles away (at 2400-2500’) at around 930. There was about 8” up there.

286C455B-D1A9-46B0-BF33-A2AB81D2E1DF.thumb.jpeg.1e45b747ac87e9672dcd28aa5ddca420.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Still some steady snow falling. The total for the event is currently 4.6” here at 1300’… the majority of which (about the first 3” or so) fell between about 12-3pm. I caved and brought the snowblower back to clear the driveway this afternoon.

I got a rough measurement at the top of Wopsy Mountain 4 miles away (at 2400-2500’) at around 930. There was about 8” up there.

286C455B-D1A9-46B0-BF33-A2AB81D2E1DF.thumb.jpeg.1e45b747ac87e9672dcd28aa5ddca420.jpeg

Great Photos keep winter alive 

25 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Moderate to occasionally heavy rain, mixed with sleet continues to fall here in Carlisle just before 10:00pm.  The temperature has been slowly falling back down from the earlier 36 degrees back around 5:00 now down to 34.3.  BTW my low here this morning before the clouds rolled in was 26.4 making today really feel like February.  No accumulation here today though it did snow for quite a few hours early to mid afternoon.  That deformation band really does look nice affecting parts of our area during the night.  I just forgot the model Bliz just showed where my area is still forecast to receive 4" of accumulation by morning.  I'll be happy to wake up to a coating to maybe a half-inch.

Then it's off to Lake Wales / Winterhaven Florida later tomorrow morning.  This intensifying coastal is sending a strong cold front down through most of the peninsula which will lead to glorious weather with highs in the low 80's and lows around 60 with lots of sunshine through the rest of this week.  Very excited to visit a close childhood friend I haven't seen in over 20 years.  He's my NWS friend who just retired last year from the Blacksburg, VA forecast office after nearly 20 years as the meteorologist-in-charge there.

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

Just went outside to let the dog out.  I thought it was just raining until I glanced at my car windshield and it was covered in sleet.  At the same time I heard crackling beneath my feet as I walked along my driveway.  This much sleet will easily qualify for an official frozen measurement of 0.1".  Temp holding steady at 34.3.  Total liquid so far today has measured 0.61".  Could there be a white surprise come tomorrow morning?

Williamsport got a Special Weather Statement at 10:39p.  As of now, things outside look about how they did around 4:30.  Local news just came on. It is pouring outside on TV in the Poconos on Channel 16 WNEP.  Montoursville Airport is now 33 with light snow.

I will be up very late, I think. So anybody who feels like posting will have one reader anyway.

HEAVY SNOW RATES EXPECTED THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

Heavy snow with 1.0-2.0 inch per hour rates will spread and pivot
northward across parts of the area through late tonight. The
heaviest snowfall is most likely to occur in the higher
elevations east of a line from Mansfield to Danville to
Pottsville. Be prepared for slippery road conditions and limited
visibility. Travel could be difficult into the overnight hours.

19 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Just went outside to let the dog out.  I thought it was just raining until I glanced at my car windshield and it was covered in sleet.  At the same time I heard crackling beneath my feet as I walked along my driveway.  This much sleet will easily qualify for an official frozen measurement of 0.1".  Temp holding steady at 34.3.  Total liquid so far today has measured 0.61".  Could there be a white surprise come tomorrow morning?

Confirms the CC drop west of Harrisburg on CCX radar matches up with the sleet.

29 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Sleet & rain mix in Marysville.

My temp is down to 35.

I’m hoping to wake up to a little snow on the ground from this wrap around CCB.

Williamsport had our Advisory extended from 5:00 to 8:00a. Up to another inch of snow in Sullivan and Southern Lycoming counties.  Looks like there is an inch or two outside.  Will they bother to send snow plows out or just let it melt? 

Many of the models had a lot more than we got here.  Nothing coming down at the moment.  I rate this experience a meh.

So...we got no snow accumulation in Tamaqua at all. Not even in the grass. I-81 was a different story as there was about 3-5 inches up there. Here in Tower City they got about an inch.

I guess the low was just west enough to keep us mostly rain all night. Event total rainfall was 1.76 inches, so those models that were spitting out 10+ inches of snow WOULD HAVE been correct if it were cold enough, and it was January instead of April.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

So...we got no snow accumulation in Tamaqua at all. Not even in the grass. I-81 was a different story as there was about 3-5 inches up there. Here in Tower City they got about an inch.

I guess the low was just west enough to keep us mostly rain all night. Event total rainfall was 1.76 inches, so those models that were spitting out 10+ inches of snow WOULD HAVE been correct if it were cold enough, and it was January instead of April.

About 2-3 inches here. It must have snowed hard overnight at some point. I went to bed @10:30 and there was a mixture. Roads everything covered this morning with a temp of 32.

• Like 3

Just now, mahantango#1 said:

About 2-3 inches here. It must have snowed hard overnight at some point. I went to bed @10:30 and there was a mixture. Roads everything covered this morning with a temp of 32.

Nice. I guess I'll be seeing that in a little bit.

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

We must have flipped to a little snow in Marysville overnight. There is a little snow only visible on the car tops. I was hoping for a bit more from this event, but it was still enjoyable to track this late chance.

There was a very light covering in some of the grass & mulch areas.

I needed to scrape a little snow off of the windshield this morning. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Great pics.  You got into the thick of it.  Seems there was a razor thin line of snow and no snow North of Harrisburg. 

Yes I was kinda surprised this morning. I live at the bottom of the mountain elevation is about 499ft. I bet on top of the mountain the elevation is 1100 ft there will be about double then what I have here.

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

After Wednesday, the warminista's get their 3-5 days of happiness (though Saturday is still in question).  Can MDT finally crack 80?  If it misses this period it may have a long wait. 

I hope no one on here will try an stamp out our warm up that Voyager and I desperately need! 200w.webp?cid=ecf05e4785st4vgjsa7rgpktg6

• Like 1
  • Haha 1