• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Spring 2022

9 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Maybe because you're not one of them.  Every fanbase has idiots.  It is unavoidable.

There is more trash throwing,  pissing on other fans, and swearing in front of children in Philly than "average".   After one hockey game almost the entire stadium was chanting "F*** Ovechkin" on the way out of the stadium.  It was shaking the the whole building.    But I agree every fan base has some of those people.   I lived in Philly for over a decade so am more than qualified for my opinion.  :-)

image.thumb.png.dc7d0ddbcdeaf6da5b2e3caf9533a733.png

Living there is not the same as growing up there or having a whole family who has lived there over generations.  It just isn't. 

And yes, being a fan of the opposing team can be problematic.  I agree with that.  If you are minding your business and politely cheering for your team, I don't have a problem with that.  I DO have a problem with opposing fans who are obnoxious.  

I just hate the national narrative.  Where's the national narrative about Boston fans and how racist they are?  Where?  Or other fanbases that throw bottles on the field. 

I will say that I've been to an equal number of Steelers and Eagles games in my life. Both teams have incredible fan bases that extend well beyond their respective metro areas. I never hesitated  taking my wife and kids to Heinz Field...but I'd never consider taking them to the Vet. Have only been to the Linc twice and it seemed a bit more mild, but still more vulgar than Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1

Just now, anotherman said:

Living there is not the same as growing up there or having a whole family who has lived there over generations.  It just isn't. 

And yes, being a fan of the opposing team can be problematic.  I agree with that.  If you are minding your business and politely cheering for your team, I don't have a problem with that.  I DO have a problem with opposing fans who are obnoxious.  

I just hate the national narrative.  Where's the national narrative about Boston fans and how racist they are?  Where?  Or other fanbases that throw bottles on the field. 

Well I did just comment that most Red Sox fans are obnoxious/cocky.  The racism thing is a Boston issue as well...in and out of sports.  But I have gone to games in many other cities...Buffalo, Tampa, NY (Long Island), etc...and I still opine that Philly fans have been harder to deal with.  Politely cheering for your team has a greater than average chance of ending up with beer on yourself. 

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

There is more trash throwing,  pissing on other fans, and swearing in front of children in Philly than "average".   After one hockey game almost the entire stadium was chanting "F*** Ovechkin" on the way out of the stadium.  It was shaking the the whole building.    But I agree every fan base has some of those people.   I lived in Philly for over a decade so am more than qualified for my opinion.  :-)

image.thumb.png.dc7d0ddbcdeaf6da5b2e3caf9533a733.png

Am I looking at the infamous 10-0 comeback game against the Buccos...

59 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Am I looking at the infamous 10-0 comeback game against the Buccos...

Min 43 to watch the second Jeltz HR  LOL.  Harry Kalas had a great call of this but cnanot find it right now.  I was behind home plate, fairly high up for this game.   Used to be a huge Phillies fan but just occasional now.   @TimBmust not be monitoring our thread right now. 

43 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Min 43 to watch the second Jeltz HR  LOL.  Harry Kalas had a great call of this but cnanot find it right now.  I was behind home plate, fairly high up for this game.   Used to be a huge Phillies fan but just occasional now.   @TimBmust not be monitoring our thread right now. 

Tommy Herr on your thumbnail - he was selling cars at my local Ford dealer a couple of years ago. 

This sports fan discussion is an interesting one.  As a child,  I remember sitting second row behind the goalie at the Capital Centre, in 1976, and some Isles fan's yelling expletive's at Caps goalie Bernie Wolfe...and my dad asking them to stop due to my presence.  Many people will say that fans are worse today but they were no treat back then either.  

54 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just a couple years too young for that one to have much of a memorable impact on me. But I seem to remember discussing it last summer here as well. LOL

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

This sports fan discussion is an interesting one.  As a child,  I remember sitting second row behind the goalie at the Capital Centre, in 1976, and some Isles fan's yelling expletive's at Caps goalie Bernie Wolfe...and my dad asking them to stop due to my presence.  Many people will say that fans are worse today but they were no treat back then either.  

I had a similar experience at the Vet in the early 70s...some drunk dude spilled beer all over my back. My dad told my mom to take me out for a few minutes while he handled matters. LOL

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, anotherman said:

The Vet was truly a dump but it was our dump.  

It was my first professional sports venue in 1971. As a 6 year old I gawked at the 55,000 yellow, orange, red, maroon, and brown seats. I spent many childhood nights there watching the Phils. Lots of memories wrapped into that place. Not all of them so good, but a lot were. 

19 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It was my first professional sports venue in 1971. As a 6 year old I gawked at the 55,000 yellow, orange, red, maroon, and brown seats. I spent many childhood nights there watching the Phils. Lots of memories wrapped into that place. Not all of them so good, but a lot were. 

I always loved the feel when the Phillies came to bat in the bottom of the first.  It started off with a crescendoing Organ sound then   "Center fielder, Lenny Dykstra"

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Dan Baker - Phils PA announcer since 1972. It's not a Phillies game without his voice. 

I did not know his name, cool.  He was good at not allowing the moment to ruin his Mojo.  He is a true glass half full guy!  The Phil's could be down 7 and he still sounded like he was announcing the start of an SNL episode as the Phil's came to bat.  Contrast with some NBA announcers who sometimes whisper when their team scores but is down 20 in the 4th.  LOL.  

• Like 1