Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2022

George BM

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

BWI hit 32 and set the record low!

Niiiiice!! That's pretty awesome! And I'm sure this has been discussed and debated much lately, but...man I still don't remember mid-Arpil/early Mays being as cold as the last 4-5 years! But perhaps it's just recency bias? (Not that I'm complaining...heat and especially humidity can wait however long, lol)

Mount Holly-

On Saturday, further modification of the airmass is expected despite northwest winds 10-15 mph continuing. High temperatures are expected to be mostly in the mid 60s. With the weakening gradient, a sea breeze is likely to develop into the afternoon, so the coastal areas will likely experience their daily maximum temperature in the morning. The lessening winds and slightly warmer temperatures will make for a generally more pleasant day than the prior two or three, but high dewpoint depressions will once again result in low relative humidity values around 20%. So the dry air will be fairly unpleasant.

Uh, not to me.

I'll moisturize.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That's pretty awesome! And I'm sure this has been discussed and debated much lately, but...man I still don't remember mid-Arpil/early Mays being as cold as the last 4-5 years! But perhaps it's just recency bias?

Going back to 2016, it’s about 50/50 on AN or BN for April and May combined at BWI. There have been some anomalous spring  -NAO periods though in there.

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Niiiiice!! That's pretty awesome! And I'm sure this has been discussed and debated much lately, but...man I still don't remember mid-Arpil/early Mays being as cold as the last 4-5 years! But perhaps it's just recency bias? (Not that I'm complaining...heat and especially humidity can wait however long, lol)

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Going back to 2016, it’s about 50/50 on AN or BN for April and May combined at BWI. There have been some anomalous spring  -NAO periods though in there.

Slow day at work. Made some graphs. Data is from DCA

image.thumb.png.935f191b382a42681a017e56ae2bb837.png

image.thumb.png.f637c99ec2d67665c3d5c0280c745538.png

image.thumb.png.5a9482f999cac93ea99ae8268068c7c7.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Mount Holly-

On Saturday, further modification of the airmass is expected despite northwest winds 10-15 mph continuing. High temperatures are expected to be mostly in the mid 60s. With the weakening gradient, a sea breeze is likely to develop into the afternoon, so the coastal areas will likely experience their daily maximum temperature in the morning. The lessening winds and slightly warmer temperatures will make for a generally more pleasant day than the prior two or three, but high dewpoint depressions will once again result in low relative humidity values around 20%. So the dry air will be fairly unpleasant.

Uh, not to me.

I'll moisturize.

Man what the frickle they talkin' about? Unpleasant for who?? Lol

• Like 1

@Maestrobjwa I got thinking about this some more and I think it's important to remember we are humans with subconscious bits of our memory that influence how things feel. This year and the past two we've had above normal March temps followed by avg or slightly negative departures in April and May (20/21). In my mind this would tend to "feel" like a cold spring, especially if those warm March avg temps were brought on by a few key warm stretches towards the end of the month and not a general slightly above average regime. To have that then be followed up by weeks and weeks of the same temps would feel "cold" even if it's about average. 

2018 is also in recent memory which is pretty much the coldest early spring we've had in the past 2 decades. May obviously bucked the trend that year but the memory was made at that point.

My guess is those two things make the past few years seem out of place. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic