George BM

11 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Thunder!

11 hours ago, Herb@MAWS said:

Boom!  Thunder. 

11 hours ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

That scared the bejeezus out of me 

11 hours ago, high risk said:

Yeah, the only strike in the entire area was in Howard County.      #winning

23 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

That seemed to come out of nowhere. Really long rumble, too.

The bolt was a powerful 194kA positive CG. Lots of jumps, yelps and/or more personal "events" were probably had by peeps in the strike region... especially with no previous bolt to signify lightning in the area. 

1752018263_StrongPositive.thumb.PNG.9ac68708ffb6375d8c0b1c33fffc3837.PNG

• Like 2

I HATE those!  No warnings and detection is useless.  Very dangerous too for those working in communications / electrical cabinets.  Dangerous and damaging spikes can travel for miles outward from a CG hit like that.  I've been "lit up" before handling wires and before I thought WTF I hear the boom outside and realize it was lightning.  Back in November 1986 I had that happen and I was on a tower.  The flash was so bright I saw the shadow of the tower on the ground and the deafening thunderclap followed instantly.  I don't even remember how I got down so fast but was shaking for a hour afterward.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, George BM said:

The bolt was a powerful 194kA positive CG. Lots of jumps, yelps and/or more personal "events" were probably had by peeps in the strike region... especially with no previous bolt to signify lightning in the area. 

1752018263_StrongPositive.thumb.PNG.9ac68708ffb6375d8c0b1c33fffc3837.PNG

Interesting. Yeah, I had just dozed off slightly and woke up terrified and confused. Didn’t see the lightning and was not expecting to hear thunder. Even rewound the show that was on my TV to see if that sound came from the show lol I live about 0.5 miles from the strike marker there. 

Edit - there was a fire investigation after and the power in the neighborhood was fried. 

• Like 1

It's basically warm to hot and muggy from mid May into October now.

Crazy to complain about partly sunny days in the 50s and 60s in April. Yeah the wind can be super annoying, but it's not a constant. Saturday through Monday look incredible IMO. Then it heats up for a few days, so those who want a summer preview will get what they want too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Uh…not really? I guess yesterday was like 8F below normal? But March 31st’s 75F was way more anomalous above normal. 

Yes,  really? One day ahead of another cold front doens't change that we've been windy, cloudy and 10-15 degrees give or take below normal highs for 10 or so days. Normals around 60-63, right? We've had days not out of the 30s and days in the 40s with howling winds more than one anomolous day. I stand by the statement. 

26 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's basically warm to hot and muggy from mid May into October now.

Crazy to complain about partly sunny days in the 50s and 60s in April. Yeah the wind can be super annoying, but it's not a constant. Saturday through Monday look incredible IMO. Then it heats up for a few days, so those who want a summer preview will get what they want too.

to each their own. Mid 70s is gorgeous. If you want to call that "heating up" and compare it to dog days stuff, you do you. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic