Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2022

bluewave

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

low 40's with a gusty wind tomorrow morning real feels in the 30's is plenty cold enough..

Did you see the game?

So the Yankee game was delayed 45 min because of large hail falling in Baltimore.  First time I've ever seen a hail delay.  It was comical seeing the broadcasters wondering how it was "snowing" when it was so warm outside and then Kay had the line of the night when he was told it was actually hail, he asked "But isn't it too warm to hail?" LOL

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Did you see the game?

So the Yankee game was delayed 45 min because of large hail falling in Baltimore.  First time I've ever seen a hail delay.  It was comical seeing the broadcasters wondering how it was "snowing" when it was so warm outside and then Kay had the line of the night when he was told it was actually hail, he asked "But isn't it too warm to hail?" LOL

i am boycotting baseball this year...

Morning thoughts…

It will be mainly sunny and much cooler today. High temperatures will likely reach the lower and middle 50s in much of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 52°

Newark: 53°

Philadelphia: 56°

A cold rain will develop late tomorrow or tomorrow and continue into Tuesday. Higher elevations and interior sections could see some snow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 62.6°; 15-Year: 62.9°

Newark: 30-Year: 63.4°; 15-Year: 63.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 65.5°; 15-Year: 65.9°

The next 8 days are averaging 52degs.(46/57) or -4.

Reached just 63 here yesterday.

Today: 48-54, wind nw. and breezy, m.clear,45- 47 tomorrow AM.

1.0"-1.5" rain Monday night, wind gusts 30+ near the coast.

No sooner had I shown the 80+{25th}---it was gone---after days worth of runs.    60's now and the CMC says a high of 50! will be hard.    FRUIT SALAD forecasting---keep the RedDye#3 Cherry out of my cup!

1650153600-wVAXOp4KZwI.png

43*(61%RH) here at 7am.      46* at 10am.      48* at Noon.        Reached 52* at 3:30pm.      45* at 11pm.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:50 PM, bluewave said:

This continuing La Niña background state is on steroids. So it favors another very active hurricane season. Then maybe a rare 3rd year La Niña for next winter. 

Enough preamble—what’s the Walker circulation doing right now? I thought you’d never ask. It’s really feeling its oats these days, as several different atmospheric measurements tell us.

First, let’s talk Equatorial Southern Oscillation, an index that measures the relative sea level pressure in the far western Pacific vs. that in the eastern Pacific. When the EQSOI is positive, it indicates lower-than-average pressure over the west (more rain and clouds) and higher-than-average pressure over the east (less rain and clouds), i.e., evidence of a stronger Walker circulation. In March, the EQSOI measured 1.4, the 6th strongest since 1950.

As I mentioned above, stronger trade winds are key to the La Niña feedback between the ocean and atmosphere. The trade winds were enhanced through March, and remain stronger than average into mid-April. You want a number, you say? Okay! There’s an index that measures the near-surface winds in the central Pacific region of 5°N–5°S, 175°W–140°W; it was 4.3 meters per second (9.6 miles per hour) faster than average in March. This is the strongest March value on record, but there’s a catch—this record only goes back to 1979.

One more index! The central Pacific was much less cloudy and rainy than average in March. We monitor cloudiness via satellite, by looking at how much radiation is leaving the Earth’s surface and reaching the satellites. Less radiation making it to the satellite means more clouds are blocking the path.

The index that measures outgoing radiation (and therefore cloudiness), the CPOLR, tells us that this March featured the least amount of clouds for any March on record over the central Pacific. We’re number 1! Again, though, like the winds, this record only goes back to 1979, when the satellite measurement era began. So, a grain of salt with your records.

One last measurement today—let’s look under the surface of the tropical Pacific Ocean. The amount of cooler-than-average water under the surface increased in March. This cooler subsurface water provides a supply of cooler water to the surface, contributing to ENSO forecasters’ prediction that La Niña will remain into the summer. Index-wise, last month the water under the surface was the 9th coolest March since 1979.

Yes, a 3rd year La Niña is starting to definitely look likely: 

• Thanks 1

I'm amazed nobody is talking about potential significant snowfall for the interior NE (Poconos, Catskills and interior NY/New England and possibly even far NWNJ and the Hudson Valley) on Monday night into Tuesday - and what might it take for some snow to reach all the way down to the 95 corridor...

9 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I'm amazed nobody is talking about potential significant snowfall for the interior NE (Poconos, Catskills and interior NY/New England and possibly even far NWNJ and the Hudson Valley) on Monday night into Tuesday - and what might it take for some snow to reach all the way down to the 95 corridor...

Good morning all. Ref NOAA: 06:51, 41 degrees. 
Even by an inner city row house, beauty can be found. May we all find peace. As always ….

3FE0ECF6-0464-4C17-B2C4-E2908AD57C37.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I'm in Poughkeepsie, so I have my eyes on it. I'm worried about any potential tree damage from the heavy wet snow.

Would trees in bloom be more prone to damage than bare trees, similar to a snowstorm in October with leaves still on the trees?

48 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Walt posted about it in the NW burbs thread 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Snow isn’t getting anywhere near the I-95 corridor tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

This is a NYC / LI focused board and the primary impacts there will be rain and wind.  You will actually have to be fairly high up in the Poconos / Catskills (above at least 1000’ in order to see significant accumulations).   I think most people on this board (myself included) are done with this winter anyways.  

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

This is a NYC / LI focused board and the primary impacts there will be rain and wind.  You will actually have to be fairly high up in the Poconos / Catskills (above at least 1000’ in order to see significant accumulations).   I think most people on this board (myself included) are done with this winter anyways.  

Weenies are never done with winter 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Looks like a tucked in storm track for Monday night. The low tracks right up the Jersey Shore into CT. Wind gusts near the coast may be in the 50-60 mph range. Rainfall generally 0.75 to 1.50 with locally higher amounts where the best elevated convection trains. 

C9275D16-356F-447F-B79E-0D37EC3C2C1A.thumb.png.106885b3e0eaf1a4c905f65b8eac6461.png

38738922-DE91-4112-A088-E0BF475A109D.thumb.png.83f7bcc434a2c27bfe388fcc0199484f.png

9EDDB6D3-86D8-4028-A396-A1B6F6D2F461.thumb.png.2e6d2cdf7b2e34f02dd09734d10ff6d0.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tatamy said:

I am...I just saw a forecast for 8-12 inches of snow in the Poconos?! Thats amazing!

How does this storm compare to April 19-20, 1983?  No one has been willing to post maps of that amazing storm lol.  Our latest accumulating snowfall!