Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

15 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

Sry went to a wedding in huntington, but I got 1.07 that day.  So far today, man it certainly seemed to rain more than .001 but the tipper hasnt tipped but is full, only .001 so far.  Totally robbed, that cell in Btown was legit looking so much lightning same with the cell to the SE.  The rain will come tonight it's inevitable but jeez it's been like this all summer it seems.  Also you can just check my sig it's got the link to my weather station

I had another friend go to a wedding in Huntington at Sleepy Hollow. Great area.  Some much needed rain last night area wide.

August 2022 data:

Avg max:   76.3   +1.3     Hottest: 88 on the 7th
Avg min:    56.7   +3.6    Coolest: 48 on the 13th.  Weakest August minimum in 25 years here; other August minima range 36 to 45.
Avg mean: 66.5   +2.4    3rd warmest.  Highest daily mean:  77.5 on the 7th, 2nd hottest August day (8/1/99 was 78.5)
Only 31 HDDs, lowest of any August.  Warmest August, last year, had 10 more HDDs but also 25 more CDDs.

Precip:  3.80"   -0.13"   Wettest day:  0.87" on the 31st.   One TS day, tied with 2 other Augusts for lowest.

Kind of a meh month, higher than usual dews but nothing spectacular in any parameter.

Almost turned on the heat this morning to make sure the furnace is functioning.  I'm glad I ordered 4 cords of green wood last spring.  Oil and electric have skyrocketed.  Even my electric car doesn't have the big financial edge it had.

I know people north or me are okay in rainfall.  I'm way down for the year.  Maybe a good soak early next week.  These nickel and dime rainfalls keep the grass green but don't get down to the roots.  My baby apple trees are taking a beating for lack of rainfall and now we have a bear infestation.  Almost every day I see a bear.

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex, 35.8F.  Your garden gets to live another week.  This will get the swamp maples turning.  It's been a good summer.  First half was perfect then some heat and humidity.  You got much more rain than me but maybe a soak on Monday.

Impressive.  Only got to low-mid 40s here as there were thin clouds well into the evening.  Saw 39 for IZG, 36 for HIE.  September comes in beautifully.

30 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

How much do folks think the Bolton valley condos @2k receive annually in snowfall .

My guess is Jspin would have an excellent idea and PF would as well. My guess would be 180-210” or so 

Thinking about grabbing one?

JSpin cocorahs average looks like 150" at 500'. So adjust accordingly up from there :). I think that's Jspins home mountain and lives right there, so he would certainly be dialed in I would think. Your guess seams reasonable.

@J.Spin

@powderfreak

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

JSpin cocorahs average looks like 150" at 500'. So adjust accordingly up from there :). I think that's Jspins home mountain and lives right there, so he would certainly be dialed in I would think. Your guess seams reasonable.

@J.Spin

@powderfreak

I’ve been looking for a little while , I think the second home market might see some distressed sales pop up over the next 3-6 months so I’m patient 

One just hit the market (but it’s a tad over priced compared to what it’s worth and rental income ) but living in mass /nh i would need to renovate it for it to take part in the Bolton valley rental program (their renovated rooms are much nicer ) which takes care of check in / cleaning etc

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Up to 1.41" here.  Looking at the predictions on my phone app, I thought it would be about half that much.  It's a good drink for those who need it.  Just means I'm going to have to mow more.

Nice. I also wasn't expecting this much, but I will gladly take it. I was actually planning on mowing this afternoon cause I thought it was gonna stop this morning but has been going pretty much all day.

On 9/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

How much do folks think the Bolton valley condos @2k receive annually in snowfall .

My guess is Jspin would have an excellent idea and PF would as well. My guess would be 180-210” or so 

On 9/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

@J.Spin

@powderfreak

The Bolton Valley Village is up above 2,000’, so I’d estimate annual snowfall at 200”+ based off of what they report for annual snowfall from the summit.  One way to get an estimate of snowfall at some intermediate elevations would be to make use of the numbers we actually have and do some simple linear interpolation.  The most precise numbers I’ve got would be the 154.0” mean annual snowfall from the 16 seasons of data I have from my site at 495’, and the 312” annual snowfall I’ve seen reported by Bolton Valley.  That’s presumably at the Bolton Valley summit elevations, so we’ll call that 3,150’.  Linear interpolation off those numbers with elevation as the independent variable and snowfall as the dependent variable uses the equation y=0.0595x + 124.54, and with that you can just plug in any elevation you want for x, and it will spit out an annual snowfall as y.

07SEP22A.jpg.87b499ea5ca0e5c0f7a2ecd0269f19ac.jpg

There are of course some potential caveats with a method like this, since my observations site is along the Green Mountain Spine, but just slightly east of it, the Bolton Valley Village is at elevation, but slightly on the west of the spine, and the Bolton Valley summit areas are literally on the spine.  The method also assumes a linear relationship between elevation and snowfall over all those elevations, which may not be the case with all the factors like summit areas being scoured, snow transport, leeward areas accumulating more snow, etc., but it’s probably close enough for some estimates.  One can even extrapolate with the equation, which is always dangerous as well, but there’s no specific reason to assume the trend wouldn’t hold.  I added a couple of extrapolations in the list below, but the calculated numbers are of course all going to be approximations.  Anyway, here are some annual snowfall estimates for some spots in the Bolton Valley area using the equation, rounded to the nearest foot:

Base of Bolton Valley Access Road (340’):  145”

J.Spin’s observations plot (495’):  154”

Timberline Base (1,500’):  214”

Bolton Valley Village (2,100'):  249”

Base of main mountain lifts (2,150’):  252”

Top of Bolton Valley Village (2,300’):  261”

Bolton Valley Summit (3,150’):  312”

Ricker Mountain Summit (3,400’):  327”

Bolton Mountain Summit (3,700’):  345”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

The Bolton Valley Village is up above 2,000’, so I’d estimate annual snowfall at 200”+ based off of what they report for annual snowfall from the summit.  One way to get an estimate of snowfall at some intermediate elevations would be to make use of the numbers we actually have and do some simple linear interpolation.  The most precise numbers I’ve got would be the 154.0” mean annual snowfall from the 16 seasons of data I have from my site at 495’, and the 312” annual snowfall I’ve seen reported by Bolton Valley.  That’s presumably at the Bolton Valley summit elevations, so we’ll call that 3,150’.  Linear interpolation off those numbers with elevation as the independent variable and snowfall as the dependent variable uses the equation y=0.0595x + 124.54, and with that you can just plug in any elevation you want for x, and it will spit out an annual snowfall as y.

07SEP22A.jpg.87b499ea5ca0e5c0f7a2ecd0269f19ac.jpg

There are of course some potential caveats with a method like this, since my observations site is along the Green Mountain Spine, but just slightly east of it, the Bolton Valley Village is at elevation, but slightly on the west of the spine, and the Bolton Valley summit areas are literally on the spine.  The method also assumes a linear relationship between elevation and snowfall over all those elevations, which may not be the case with all the factors like summit areas being scoured, snow transport, leeward areas accumulating more snow, etc., but it’s probably close enough for some estimates.  One can even extrapolate with the equation, which is always dangerous as well, but there’s no specific reason to assume the trend wouldn’t hold.  I added a couple of extrapolations in the list below, but the calculated numbers are of course all going to be approximations.  Anyway, here are some annual snowfall estimates for some spots in the Bolton Valley area using the equation, rounded to the nearest foot:

Base of Bolton Valley Access Road (340’):  145”

J.Spin’s observations plot (495’):  154”

Timberline Base (1,500’):  214”

Bolton Valley Village (2,100'):  249”

Base of main mountain lifts (2,150’):  252”

Top of Bolton Valley Village (2,300’):  261”

Bolton Valley Summit (3,150’):  312”

Ricker Mountain Summit (3,400’):  327”

Bolton Mountain Summit (3,700’):  345”

Thanks . I think they are a bit higher than I initially thought . That’s basically about the most snow it seems someone can find at village elevation in New England ...or similar to Jay peak village , which is like 500 feet lower 

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Does @dendriteknow about this? Hopefully it happens this stretch is awful. Especially this part weekend. 

http://www.i93bowconcord.com/

@wxeyeNH

@MarkO

@CoastalWx

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That is the most annoying stretch of highway I've ever been on. Always a PITA.

Yeah that is brutal. most Thurs PM, Fri (after 2PM), Sat AM it is backed up from the Hooksett rest area up to I-393 in concord. Waze throws a ton of traffic up the back roads through Hooksett, Pembroke, Bow, and Concord. i avoid going up there to visit family on those days, just not worth the extra time it takes.

That project is going to be huge, and it is going to be a mess when it is in progress. good luck to all the Massholes heading north! lol

• Sad 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, Whineminster said:

Does @dendriteknow about this? Hopefully it happens this stretch is awful. Especially this part weekend. 

http://www.i93bowconcord.com/

@wxeyeNH

@MarkO

@CoastalWx

There's been talk of widening 93 through Concord to 3/4 lanes. I believe it's still in the design phase. Supposedly it won't be finished until the mid 2030's. All the bridges will have to be replaced, and the existing highway runs immediately adjacent to the Merrimack River. It looks like I'll be doing a lot more driving at night. It's gonna suck. 

4 hours ago, MarkO said:

There's been talk of widening 93 through Concord to 3/4 lanes. I believe it's still in the design phase. Supposedly it won't be finished until the mid 2030's. All the bridges will have to be replaced, and the existing highway runs immediately adjacent to the Merrimack River. It looks like I'll be doing a lot more driving at night. It's gonna suck. 

I mean if they do the crossovers properly maybe it won't be so bad, but it is sorely needed, that section has gotten progressively worse the last 10 years.  Short term pain long term....gain? 

A lot of rain for the western slopes, BTV area, suburbs... into the Spine.  Less on the east side.  1,500ft ski area base over 2"... down to 1.30" in town but increasing?  Stratus is over-flowing and I won't drain until morning so who knows.

Still raining but should end within the hour for mid-level dry slot... and then the NW cyclonic flow much lighter QPF stuff should move through tomorrow morning?

Sept13_small.thumb.jpg.93ad37c3add963a0dcd6e85bfe9b0091.jpg

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A lot of rain for the western slopes, BTV area, suburbs... into the Spine.  Less on the east side.  1,500ft ski area base over 2"... down to 1.30" in town but increasing?  Stratus is over-flowing and I won't drain until morning so who knows.

Still raining but should end within the hour for mid-level dry slot... and then the NW cyclonic flow much lighter QPF stuff should move through tomorrow morning?

Sept13_small.thumb.jpg.93ad37c3add963a0dcd6e85bfe9b0091.jpg

.75 here