Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

Really nice people. He specializes in nut and fruit trees. His wife is planning to open a little farm store there in a couple years with her baked goods and flowering plants.  

http://www.perfectcircle.farm

This article just popped up in my Nat Geo app. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/pawpaws-are-americas-hidden-edible-treasure-heres-how-to-pick-them

• Like 1

They're a cool fruit with tropical ancestry that evolved to colder climates. They attract almost no pests (only had a few japanese beetles on them this year) and are pretty disease free. The only insect that really goes for them is the zebra swallowtail and they're not up here since pawpaw is not native and they only eat the leaves of pawpaws.

You definitely want grafted trees to get superior fruit. You can grow seedlings, but they'll take longer to fruit and you need to be sure they're seeds from superior parentage. We have a short growing season so you definitely want the vigorous varieties with early ripening. You need 2 different varieties for pollination and they are only pollinated by flies and some beetles...no bees. Hand pollination is a better way to make sure you get a good harvest.

This guy is in Marlborough, MA and has a bunch. Here's a vid of some early varieties he recommends. I have a few of these. Nyomi's Delicious is one of my most vigorous growing trees so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

What's a pawpaw taste like or comparable to?  I got apples for the first time this year, tons of peaches and a few pears, I didn't prune the pear tree too well so that's my fault, I'll do it better this year and hope for more next year.

It depends on the variety, but most of the good cultivars have a variation of a banana-mango-melon taste. Some have other hints of flavors. You need to eat them when very ripe though or else they can taste pretty bad...unripe ones have been compared to kerosene lol. Texture is custard like for most.

Flesh color ranges from orange to light yellow/almost white. Darker flesh tends to have more "pawpaw" flavor whereas lighter orange to yellow is more mild.

marshmallow.pngkentucky-champion-.pngprima1216new.jpgs370488733127424957_p311_i1_w400.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Never heard of it. LOL.

Most people haven't, but it's been getting more attention in recent years with backyard growers planting them. They're hardy up to zone 4/5, but the short growing seasons up here stall their growth and you run the risk of freezes before getting ripe fruit with some of the cultivars...especially in frost pockets.

I feel like we cant buy rain here in Waterbury Center every thing goes around us.  This is what drought feels like.  With every storm I watch the radar and everyone around me get rain.  But it's all lies because of the radar shadows.  Even btv has similar numbers to me.  I show 1.37 for the month, most real reporting stations dont show much more.  NWS need to come up with a better method for radar in the mountains.  Yes I might be influenced by ten bends right now.  NEED more Water!!!

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

They don't look appetizing but I'll try anything once.

They seem to be polarizing. Either you love them or hate them. The key is to make sure you’re eating a ripe one from a good cultivar on your first try or else you may not want to eat another one again. lol

It’s kinda like american persimmons. If you don’t wait to eat them until they’re mush they’re so astringent that it feels like you’re eating gasoline. But when at the perfect ripeness they’re decadent. 

51 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

I feel like we cant buy rain here in Waterbury Center every thing goes around us.  This is what drought feels like.  With every storm I watch the radar and everyone around me get rain.  But it's all lies because of the radar shadows.  Even btv has similar numbers to me.  I show 1.37 for the month, most real reporting stations dont show much more.  NWS need to come up with a better method for radar in the mountains.  Yes I might be influenced by ten bends right now.  NEED more Water!!!

Pretty much the same here. Nothing but a few sprinkles here today but the PWS next to my golf course had .35 this afternoon. Everything was wet when I got over there. Bone dry here. 

30 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Pretty much the same here. Nothing but a few sprinkles here today but the PWS next to my golf course had .35 this afternoon. Everything was wet when I got over there. Bone dry here. 

Thanks Im not going crazy,  super hit or miss.  Always a well worry for me.  If we dont get the rain before the ground freezes, sigh, there goes my water for the winter, pretty close to 3 inches under for this month alone

2 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

There are a lot of cocorahs stations between 1-2" for AUG. Like you said probably just radar hallucinations and BTV radar beam. Today will put a few stations with higher end totals for AUG, prob more SVT and CVT. 

1 hour ago, dmcginvt said:

Thanks Im not going crazy,  super hit or miss.  Always a well worry for me.  If we dont get the rain before the ground freezes, sigh, there goes my water for the winter, pretty close to 3 inches under for this month alone

I feel like I’ve been getting a bit lucky with daily rains but no big amounts.  A lot of like 0.10-0.30”.

Had just under a quarter inch on Sunday, local stations look like another quarter inch fell today (I’m in Montreal for the night so will check when home).

IIRC it’s rained 9 or 10 of the 23 days this month, but totaled only around 1.75”.  I do think that’s kept stuff very green though despite the total water amount.

This was from Sunday’s brief storm. Par for the course with light amount.

7A0E88FC-DE53-472D-92C4-6E19C309D05E.jpeg.754739103e6b72c4247e4469ff709b5a.jpeg

I have a ws-2902c, does anyone know how it works with precip?  It seems to me from testing that little tipping cups holds .01 so if it doesnt tip and is full but short of tipping are my numbers .01 off?  And then .01 more when it rains next?  I guess for such a cheap unit it doesnt matter, Im just curious, for $179 it delights me every day.  I have held off for 20 years because I always wanted a station that cost $1000 and melted precip and shit, but my dear partner bought me this and I love it.

ha nevermind found the manual

"The rain collector is calibrated at the factory based on the funnel diameter. The bucket tips every 0.01” of rain (referred to as resolution). The accumulated rainfall can be compared to a sight glass rain gauge with an aperture of at least 4”. 

Glad to confirm my own test of .01, i imagine im always possibly shy .01 and over .01 but i can live with that, long term no big dea,l but short term accuarcy is suspect

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like I’ve been getting a bit lucky with daily rains but no big amounts.  A lot of like 0.10-0.30”.

Had just under a quarter inch on Sunday, local stations look like another quarter inch fell today (I’m in Montreal for the night so will check when home).

IIRC it’s rained 9 or 10 of the 23 days this month, but totaled only around 1.75”.  I do think that’s kept stuff very green though despite the total water amount.

This was from Sunday’s brief storm. Par for the course with light amount.

7A0E88FC-DE53-472D-92C4-6E19C309D05E.jpeg.754739103e6b72c4247e4469ff709b5a.jpeg

Measurable rain on 11 of 24 days here plus 2 more with T, total is up to 2.58".  August averages 3.93" here, so a good chance for the 9th BN month in the past 11.

Yesterday they were flying in concrete for the new lift at Stowe and man those helo pilots and the ground crew are absolute cowboys.

Massive helicopter (the type that build oil rigs) bringing buckets of concrete to build the tower bases.  This is a screen grab from a video but I wish I would post it.  The rotorwash has the trees looking like a tropical storm is hitting.  The vegetation was getting raked with like 50-70mph winds it looked like, and the guys trying to catch this monster concrete bucket without getting knocked off the platform.  The whole thing arrives, empties and then lifts off again in like under 10 seconds.  It's wild.

IMG_0586.thumb.jpg.d56a108c879f17aa0ce1797f80e5f746.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 10:56 PM, dmcginvt said:

I know where you are and I am probably 5 miles S by the way the crow flies.  Which helps my theory that it's rained all around me,  Im easily .4 less and if you got rain today even more.  I love having this weatherstation!!

Hey how’s you doing today?  I saw what looked like several different storms today miss here just to the south… every one seemed to go over Waterbury Res into Waterbury Center.  Several stations in that area from Waterbury north to just south of Moscow showing 1”+ water today.  Max seems to be right in Waterbury Center with some 1.25” water?

Only a quarter inch up at my place.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:50 PM, powderfreak said:

Hey how’s you doing today?  I saw what looked like several different storms today miss here just to the south… every one seemed to go over Waterbury Res into Waterbury Center.  Several stations in that area from Waterbury north to just south of Moscow showing 1”+ water today.  Max seems to be right in Waterbury Center with some 1.25” water?

Only a quarter inch up at my place.

Sry went to a wedding in huntington, but I got 1.07 that day.  So far today, man it certainly seemed to rain more than .001 but the tipper hasnt tipped but is full, only .001 so far.  Totally robbed, that cell in Btown was legit looking so much lightning same with the cell to the SE.  The rain will come tonight it's inevitable but jeez it's been like this all summer it seems.  Also you can just check my sig it's got the link to my weather station

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Sry went to a wedding in huntington, but I got 1.07 that day.  So far today, man it certainly seemed to rain more than .001 but the tipper hasnt tipped but is full, only .001 so far.  Totally robbed, that cell in Btown was legit looking so much lightning same with the cell to the SE.  The rain will come tonight it's inevitable but jeez it's been like this all summer it seems.  Also you can just check my sig it's got the link to my weather station

It's funny I dont feel like RAY when I get robbed of snow (I actually lived in Methuen and got tons from 2000-2003) because we get it it nickel and dime and not synoptically. but I do feel robbed when it's thunderstorms.  I just have simply not had a great thunderstorm this year.  Often the best are in Sept, here's hoping.  I lived in Tx for 3 years and miss the amazing ones.

59 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Yeah I’m not home but looks like that first round was a swing and a miss in our area earlier this evening.  Looks like 0.01-0.03” up and down RT 100.