• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

Actually picked up 1.1" of rain. Pretty steady too, so hopefully soaked in the ground. Pretty tired of watering veggie garden and new perennials/shrubs, etc.  Lawn was really torched. Not saying wells were drying up, but aesthetically never seen so many brown lawns since I have moved here. The super dry air and wind just sucks the moisture out so quick compared to our normally humid summers recently.

This summer has been crazy with the lack of humidity though, just top 10 day after day. You can see why the older houses dont have AC, not really needed until the recent dewey stretch of the last 15-20 years or whatever. Im sure dendrite has charts to show the dews over time. 

• Like 1

Since moving here have never seen a bear in daylight IMBY.  Past couple weeks been probably 3 or times, even when I am out there, they don't seemed phased unless I make a lot of noise.  They are getting more and more comfortable it seems around here.  I don't know, maybe it is random.

This little guys strolled by this morning at 7AM. Not sure what he was looking for in a flower pot--lol.

https://video.nest.com/clip/d58836ad922140b888abb68216d660f8.mp4

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Since moving here have never seen a bear in daylight IMBY.  Past couple weeks been probably 3 or times, even when I am out there, they don't seemed phased unless I make a lot of noise.  They are getting more and more comfortable it seems around here.  I don't know, maybe it is random.

This little guys strolled by this morning at 7AM. Not sure what he was looking for in a flower pot--lol.

that's really cool-but obviously the bear thought it was a honey pot

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Good thing you had video evidence of the bear tipping it over.  Can just see you yelling at the kids for being reckless and not picking it back up.  And then grounding them for making up a story about a bear. lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Good thing you had video evidence of the bear tipping it over.  Can just see you yelling at the kids for being reckless and not picking it back up.  And then grounding them for making up a story about a bear. lol

I did go out this morning and was like WTF? Took about 10 seconds to realize what had happened most likely, and then checked cam to confirm.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The bear population has to be exploding.  I think they say it isn’t, but less hunting, more posted land (less huntable land), milder less severe winters, etc.  There are some factors out there that argue for a robust bear population.

Honestly seems like there are more bears than deer.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of deer my neighbor has one of those trail cams.  He caught a video of a coyote carrying a small fawn in it's mouth.  On the other hand it looks like a doe had 2 fawns in our field very recently.  The little guys are running around with Mom.  Yes, lots of bear.    The good thing is with the thousands of sightings each day in NNE, bear attacks are very, very rare.

72/51  at noon with mostly sunny skies.  Another day in paradise.  I love this summer, just need more rain

(Don't look but starting about now we will begin to  rapidly loose daylight on both ends. It will become noticeable in the next week or two) 

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The bear population has to be exploding.  I think they say it isn’t, but less hunting, more posted land (less huntable land), milder less severe winters, etc.  There are some factors out there that argue for a robust bear population.

it sure seems that way even down here. lots of bear sightings this year especially

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Maine vies with twice-as-large Washington for having the most bears of any state in the lower 48, estimated at more than 30,000.  We also probably have the most liberal hunting regs of the 48 for bear hunters, allowing bait and use of hounds during the early season and having no cap on the number of hunters - anyone qualified to hunt in Maine can buy the modestly priced permit for the bait-dog seasons, and those licensed to hunt deer can also take bear during the 4-week firearms deer season.  Despite that, the wildlife branch of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife say that the bear kill is 30-40% too low to keep the population from increasing.  I'm very pleased that the referendum to prohibit bait/dogs/traps several years back was voted down, though not by all that much.  It's also amazing how few bear incidents occur in this state, with most (other than vehicle collisions) resulting from dumb human behavior.

(In 1977 I was scoping out roads and harvest areas about 10 miles west of Allagash Village during deer season, carrying the old 7x57 Mauser in case one was numb enough to let me have a shot.  On a low hardwood ridge a large bear - looked 9 feet long but I'll only claim "200+ lb" - which let me approach within 25 yards thanks to its love of beechnuts.  Rifle went up, I had the beast in the sights, not a particularly difficult shot, but my brain asked, "Do you really want to kill a bear?"  To this day I've never eaten bear meat.  I'm confident I'll like it a lot, but until/unless that gets confirmed, I'll not shoot a bear unless it's me or it, about a billion-to-one chance.  After that bear had departed, I remembered that I was 3/4 mile from the nearest woods road, about half thru a recently harvested slash-tangled cedar swamp.  Might still be trying to drag it today!)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:15 PM, tamarack said:

It's also amazing how few bear incidents occur in this state, with most (other than vehicle collisions) resulting from dumb human behavior.

I've thought about this too. Not a biologist but I imagine it has to do with the amount of unfragmented habitat in Maine. The other northeast states have a lot more fragmentation and so human encroachment on habitat is much higher. In my years working in the woods I only encountered a bear in the woods once, and he/she quickly departed the scene, the rest of my sightings were were on woods roads etc. I was always way more concerned with running into moose, especially during the rut. I was working up to the southwest of Ross Lake one September and had a run in with a bull that left me pretty shook. Still beats desk life, which is what I enjoy for better or worse these days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I've thought about this too. Not a biologist but I imagine it has to do with the amount of unfragmented habitat in Maine. The other northeast states have a lot more fragmentation and so human encroachment on habitat is much higher. In my years working in the woods I only encountered a bear in the woods once, and he/she quickly departed the scene, the rest of my sightings were were on woods roads etc. I was always way more concerned with running into moose, especially during the rut. I was working up to the southwest of Ross Lake one September and had a run in with a bull that left me pretty shook. Still beats desk life, which is what I enjoy for better or worse these days. 

Most of my bear sightings were also from a vehicle, especially when I worked in the Allagash-Estcourt-St.-Pamphile triangle.  Peak time would be June, when the critters would take a dump in the middle of the road.  IIRC, I only spotted bears 7-8 times while on foot, including bears in trees twice.  First was Mama and a pair of 2nd-yearcubs munching on beechnuts, with one of the cubs in its own tree.  After 10 minutes of looking/listening (they chomped like pigs and broke branches to access the treat), I moved slightly and mama saw it, then came out of that tree at top speed.  She wanted OUT, and I could hear her crashing away for a couple minutes.  It was early autumn, when sows abandon 2nd-year cubs ahead of bearing young during the coming winter, so that might've been her breakaway.  Second was just the cubs, 1st-year critters, with mama not in sight - that was more nerve-wracking. 
Had a sizable grunting bull moose come at me one early October when I was in big spruce 1.5 miles from a road.  When it got within 20 yards, I began hollering and tossing sticks - didn't want to deal with a disappointed thousand-plus-pound animal when he discovered I wasn't the cow of his dreams.  He dropped his head to show off his antlers, big even in proportion to his size, waved them back and forth for a minute, then walked an equidistant quarter-circle around me, resumed grunting, and went about his business.  A few minutes later after my pulse settled a bit, I did the same.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

It's true... around these parts it can be sort of like a weird version of suburbia mixed with mountains and wildlife.  There are a decent amount of people that stretch into their habitat, but those people do not do a whole lot to dissuade bears.  Everyone wants to live as one, ha.  No enemies and making no enemies seems to be the bears' MO.  They have figured out that they can wander about in search of food and no one will really harass them.  My dog barking is the largest deterrent.  The bears run wild between the wilderness and the human-generated food sources.

5 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Does it ever rain in NNE? Since we moved up to Maine I think I've seen water fall from the sky once. 

I forgot you aren't down in Mass!  Welcome north.

Had 0.31" this morning.  MVL ASOS with 0.48" so the best went just north of here.  Humidity bath right now when the sun came out after the early morning water.

59 minutes ago, klw said:

It rains most years on Dec 23 or 24.

Or the 25th - had 2.54" on the 12/25/20 Godzilla Grinch.  Not only the biggest one-day rain in 24 Decembers here, but its 29° AN temp is the greatest positive departure for any day here.  2nd place is +27 on 3/22/12.

Th morning warm front 7-10'ed us, the current storms are staying just north, and if the modeled precip verifies, another 7-10 later this afternoon.  The Rt 2 corridor between Bethel and Newport seems to repel rain, also snow in some winters.

8 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF,  the bear picture you posted was crazy.  I stole it and posted it on my fb page saying that a friend took it in Stowe.  I have had a lot of comments.  I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a New England black bear this big.  Was it the biggest one you have ever seen?

293691402_10225200932823269_3397871190552008294_n.jpg

Biggest I’ve ever seen easily.  3-4 feet tall when on all fours and it’s stomach pretty much went to the ground.  Paws were massive mits.

I read the black bear in Eastern US can get up to 500-600lbs?  Seemed like a lot but this guy was at least four bills.

Sort of crazy though to have some 400+ pound wild animal wandering in your backyard.  This one was on another level… no adolescent mischief.  I was going in his direction and he wanted to pass me, so he just sat down while trying to figure out what to do, ha.

Walked away along the field edge, but passing by.  Felt like a zoo animal was loose in the backyard.

July_16_bear1.thumb.jpg.66f9363113e04920aab353baa9d0c226.jpg

July_16_bear.jpg.a25868b4747d3614204b8a4f7bd5edf5.jpg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, klw said:

Not as fat but the bear at the Mount Washington Hotel remains  my favorite bear photo:

BearOmniMountWashingtonResort_courtesy1.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, powderfreak said:

Biggest I’ve ever seen easily.  3-4 feet tall when on all fours and it’s stomach pretty much went to the ground.  Paws were massive mits.

I read the black bear in Eastern US can get up to 500-600lbs?  Seemed like a lot but this guy was at least four bills.

Sort of crazy though to have some 400+ pound wild animal wandering in your backyard.  This one was on another level… no adolescent mischief.  I was going in his direction and he wanted to pass me, so he just sat down while trying to figure out what to do, ha.

Walked away along the field edge, but passing by.  Felt like a zoo animal was loose in the backyard.

July_16_bear1.thumb.jpg.66f9363113e04920aab353baa9d0c226.jpg

July_16_bear.jpg.a25868b4747d3614204b8a4f7bd5edf5.jpg

Black bears here in NJ and the Poconos can get to 800+ lbs. I’ve had several 600+ in my yard this year.