• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

Sounds like a ridiculously busy weekend for hypothermic hikers in the Whites.  The worst one here was a guy who they found unresponsive due to hypothermia.

Hypothermic Hiker Carried Off Gulfside Trail Near Mt. Clay

Thompson & Meserves Purchase – A high risk rescue effort was conducted for a severely hypothermic hiker on the Gulfside Trail in the vicinity of Mt. Clay Saturday night and into Sunday morning by members of Fish & Game’s Advanced Search and Rescue Team and the North Conway based Mountain Rescue Services (MRS).  Fish & Game was initially alerted to this situation by the spouse of the hiker at around 6:30 p.m.  The hiker had sent a text message to his wife telling her that he was cold and wet and could not continue on.  He further wrote that he felt he would die without a rescue.

Conservation Officers were already immersed in the carryout of an injured hiker from the Centennial Trail in Shelburne when this call came in.  This was not the only call received this day.  Beginning at around 2:00 p.m. Fish and Game Officers received multiple calls from hikers who were cold, wet and calling for rescues, most were on the high elevation summits and ridgelines of the Presidential Range.  

However, due to the dire nature of this call, an immediate rescue attempt was initiated and additional resources had to be called in to respond to include conservation officers from around the state and MRS personnel.  The conditions in the high peaks were treacherous; freezing temperatures, rain, sleet, snow and winds gusting over 80 mph.  Only those with the experience, training and adequate gear were utilized for this rescue. 

Mt. Washington State Parks personnel were also called up and were instrumental in transporting rescue personnel from the base of the Auto Road to the summit.  Chains were placed on the tires of a State Parks truck due to the buildup of ice on the upper section of the road.  Rescuers were dropped off near the summit and hiked into ferocious winds in an attempt to locate the stricken hiker.

With the travel time and all the associated preparation to conduct a rescue of this magnitude the first group of rescuers were dropped off near the summit with the task of hiking down into the location the hiker was thought to be and locating him.  They started in at approximately 9:30 p.m.  The second group headed in at around 10:30 p.m.

Rescuers endured driving rain, blowing snow and sustained 50-60 mph winds with gusts over 80 mph to reach the location that the hiker was believed to be located.  At 10:38 p.m. the first team located the hiker who was unresponsive and in a highly hypothermic state.  They provided immediate care by placing a temporary shelter over him and attempted to warm him up.  Failing to elicit a response, but detecting signs of life, the crew jumped into action, placed him in a litter and immediately started carrying him up towards to the summit of Mt. Washington.  

The freezing rain continued to fall and the high winds still buffeted them as they attempted to save his live in this exposed location.  The team carried the hiker over a mile up to the summit of Mt. Washington where he was placed in a truck and driven down the Auto Road to the base where the Gorham Ambulance was waiting.  The arrived at 1:20 a.m.  He was transported by the Gorham Ambulance to Androscoggin Valley Hospital (AVH) in Berlin.  His condition remains unknown at the time of this press release.  His name is being withheld pending notification of family members.  

All in all 9 MRS and 6 conservation officers, including 3 who had taken part in the carryout of the injured hiker earlier in the day, responded to this rescue.

The forecasted weather conditions, particularly for the higher summits, was not heeded by many hikers and several found themselves unprepared for the dangerous conditions above tree line and instead of turning back or bailing out to safer elevations, they continued on and ultimately called 911 expecting a rescue.  Members of Randolph Mountain Club rescued a hiker suffering from hypothermic conditions and managed to carry her down off the elevations to an RMC hut.  Another hiker who called 911 for help while hiking on the Tuckerman Ravine trail was provided warm clothing by Good Samaritan hikers who ultimately assisted him to an AMC hut where he was able to find shelter and warm up.  And yet another group of hikers called for a rescue while on the summit of Mt. Eisenhower complaining that they were wet and cold.  Sometimes having enough gear is not enough.  In weather conditions experienced this weekend it is better to descend and get out of the wind and cold instead of pushing on until it is too late.

• Sad 2

Nuts, will be interesting to read the final reports about hiker preparedness. The weather conditions at elevation could not have been better forecast or communicated. Kudos to the rescue teams.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Sounds like a ridiculously busy weekend for hypothermic hikers in the Whites.  The worst one here was a guy who they found unresponsive due to hypothermia.

Hypothermic Hiker Carried Off Gulfside Trail Near Mt. Clay

Thompson & Meserves Purchase – A high risk rescue effort was conducted for a severely hypothermic hiker on the Gulfside Trail in the vicinity of Mt. Clay Saturday night and into Sunday morning by members of Fish & Game’s Advanced Search and Rescue Team and the North Conway based Mountain Rescue Services (MRS).  Fish & Game was initially alerted to this situation by the spouse of the hiker at around 6:30 p.m.  The hiker had sent a text message to his wife telling her that he was cold and wet and could not continue on.  He further wrote that he felt he would die without a rescue.

Conservation Officers were already immersed in the carryout of an injured hiker from the Centennial Trail in Shelburne when this call came in.  This was not the only call received this day.  Beginning at around 2:00 p.m. Fish and Game Officers received multiple calls from hikers who were cold, wet and calling for rescues, most were on the high elevation summits and ridgelines of the Presidential Range.  

However, due to the dire nature of this call, an immediate rescue attempt was initiated and additional resources had to be called in to respond to include conservation officers from around the state and MRS personnel.  The conditions in the high peaks were treacherous; freezing temperatures, rain, sleet, snow and winds gusting over 80 mph.  Only those with the experience, training and adequate gear were utilized for this rescue. 

Mt. Washington State Parks personnel were also called up and were instrumental in transporting rescue personnel from the base of the Auto Road to the summit.  Chains were placed on the tires of a State Parks truck due to the buildup of ice on the upper section of the road.  Rescuers were dropped off near the summit and hiked into ferocious winds in an attempt to locate the stricken hiker.

With the travel time and all the associated preparation to conduct a rescue of this magnitude the first group of rescuers were dropped off near the summit with the task of hiking down into the location the hiker was thought to be and locating him.  They started in at approximately 9:30 p.m.  The second group headed in at around 10:30 p.m.

Rescuers endured driving rain, blowing snow and sustained 50-60 mph winds with gusts over 80 mph to reach the location that the hiker was believed to be located.  At 10:38 p.m. the first team located the hiker who was unresponsive and in a highly hypothermic state.  They provided immediate care by placing a temporary shelter over him and attempted to warm him up.  Failing to elicit a response, but detecting signs of life, the crew jumped into action, placed him in a litter and immediately started carrying him up towards to the summit of Mt. Washington.  

The freezing rain continued to fall and the high winds still buffeted them as they attempted to save his live in this exposed location.  The team carried the hiker over a mile up to the summit of Mt. Washington where he was placed in a truck and driven down the Auto Road to the base where the Gorham Ambulance was waiting.  The arrived at 1:20 a.m.  He was transported by the Gorham Ambulance to Androscoggin Valley Hospital (AVH) in Berlin.  His condition remains unknown at the time of this press release.  His name is being withheld pending notification of family members.  

All in all 9 MRS and 6 conservation officers, including 3 who had taken part in the carryout of the injured hiker earlier in the day, responded to this rescue.

The forecasted weather conditions, particularly for the higher summits, was not heeded by many hikers and several found themselves unprepared for the dangerous conditions above tree line and instead of turning back or bailing out to safer elevations, they continued on and ultimately called 911 expecting a rescue.  Members of Randolph Mountain Club rescued a hiker suffering from hypothermic conditions and managed to carry her down off the elevations to an RMC hut.  Another hiker who called 911 for help while hiking on the Tuckerman Ravine trail was provided warm clothing by Good Samaritan hikers who ultimately assisted him to an AMC hut where he was able to find shelter and warm up.  And yet another group of hikers called for a rescue while on the summit of Mt. Eisenhower complaining that they were wet and cold.  Sometimes having enough gear is not enough.  In weather conditions experienced this weekend it is better to descend and get out of the wind and cold instead of pushing on until it is too late.

You called it earlier in the thread though. Unprepared hikers didn’t think they would get snow on Father’s Day. 

I wonder if the Northwoods Law film crew was on hand. That would be wild to see. Hope the guy makes it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mreaves said:

You called it earlier in the thread though. Unprepared hikers didn’t think they would get snow on Father’s Day. 

I wonder if the Northwoods Law film crew was on hand. That would be wild to see. Hope the guy makes it. 

https://wgme.com/news/local/hiker-severe-weather-new-hampshire-dies-injuries-rescue-presidential-range-white-mountains

You can see conditions here. 

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

The summer time “mild downs” are by far the most dangerous.  They seem to claim more hikers and lead to more rescues than autumn or spring because of how out-of-season they are.

It was full on winter up there.

• Like 1

Hey guys...

I had not looked at this thread since last week.  Now catching up.  It is Monday evening.  I just had New Hampshire's only TV station on and heard about the death of the of hiker.  This got me very angry as some of this could have been avoided.  Last Friday looking at the models it was clear that the weather would be very hazardous for hikers this past weekend.  I don't know any of the WMUR TV mets other than messaging Hayley Lapoint a few times in the past.  I didn't know if she would be on air last Friday but sent her an email saying that if she was she should hit this weather hazard pretty hard.  She never responded, probably never saw it and in fact was not on air but Jackie Thomas was.  I watched her.  No mention of anything other than a cooler weekend coming up. No talk of anything out of the ordinary!  I thought that was so irresponsible. I even sent Hayley a follow up email saying how I felt.  How could she have missed this???  I feel like calling the news director and bringing this up to them.

Am I over reacting??  Here is a copy of my emails to WMUR last Friday afternoon...

====================================

Gene Bank <[email protected]>

Fri, Jun 17, 6:35 PM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 3:43 PM Gene Bank <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Hayley,

This is Gene Bank up at Newfound Lake.  I message you from time to time.  Personally  (shusshhh, don't tell) but you are  the best Met. WMUR has.  I don't know if you are working this evening or tomorrow but I'm just looking at the models and the higher summit weather conditions for tomorrow and  Sunday.  Really hazardous for folks that assume it will be a good day for a hike.  Above treeline, conditions could be really bad with extreme June cold, wind and even icy rocks and snow showers. What will be a nice 70F day in Boston could be winter conditions above the treeline with below-freezing temperatures, snow showers and winds gusting over hurricane force.  Tomorrow will be too cold for all the Lake Region boaters and they will be looking for other things to do.  The perfect recipe for bad happenings.

Thanks for all you do for New Hampshire.

Gene Bank  Bridgewater NH  (one town south of Plymouth on the east side of Newfound Lake)

PS.  I may have given you this link in the past but I have a weather page.  I have a Vantage Pro 2 that updates every 5 minutes.  I also have 3 weather cams in my network.  My Nest Cam at our house (1100 feet) with an unobstructed 35 mile view to the SW.  My friends cam on Newfound Lake which looks NW  (587 feet).  Another friends cam at the top of our hill at 1500 feet looking west across Newfound Lake.  During the winter it is interesting to see the difference of active precipitation at the 3 elevations all within a couple of miles.  You are always free to use my Nest Cam on air.  www.bridgewaternhweather.com

Hi Hayley,

I just watched WMUR.  Jackie Thomas was on.  Other than to say tomorrow will be much cooler than today with the chance of a few scattered showers up north, no mention of anything out of the ordinary.  I would have hit the hazards much harder but hey,  I'm not a Met.

Have a good weekend.   Gene

39 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hey guys...

I had not looked at this thread since last week.  Now catching up.  It is Monday evening.  I just had New Hampshire's only TV station on and heard about the death of the of hiker.  This got me very angry as some of this could have been avoided.  Last Friday looking at the models it was clear that the weather would be very hazardous for hikers this past weekend.  I don't know any of the WMUR TV mets other than messaging Hayley Lapoint a few times in the past.  I didn't know if she would be on air last Friday but sent her an email saying that if she was she should hit this weather hazard pretty hard.  She never responded, probably never saw it and in fact was not on air but Jackie Thomas was.  I watched her.  No mention of anything other than a cooler weekend coming up. No talk of anything out of the ordinary!  I thought that was so irresponsible. I even sent Hayley a follow up email saying how I felt.  How could she have missed this???  I feel like calling the news director and bringing this up to them.

Am I over reacting??  Here is a copy of my emails to WMUR last Friday afternoon...

====================================

Gene Bank <[email protected]>

Fri, Jun 17, 6:35 PM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 3:43 PM Gene Bank <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Hayley,

This is Gene Bank up at Newfound Lake.  I message you from time to time.  Personally  (shusshhh, don't tell) but you are  the best Met. WMUR has.  I don't know if you are working this evening or tomorrow but I'm just looking at the models and the higher summit weather conditions for tomorrow and  Sunday.  Really hazardous for folks that assume it will be a good day for a hike.  Above treeline, conditions could be really bad with extreme June cold, wind and even icy rocks and snow showers. What will be a nice 70F day in Boston could be winter conditions above the treeline with below-freezing temperatures, snow showers and winds gusting over hurricane force.  Tomorrow will be too cold for all the Lake Region boaters and they will be looking for other things to do.  The perfect recipe for bad happenings.

Thanks for all you do for New Hampshire.

Gene Bank  Bridgewater NH  (one town south of Plymouth on the east side of Newfound Lake)

PS.  I may have given you this link in the past but I have a weather page.  I have a Vantage Pro 2 that updates every 5 minutes.  I also have 3 weather cams in my network.  My Nest Cam at our house (1100 feet) with an unobstructed 35 mile view to the SW.  My friends cam on Newfound Lake which looks NW  (587 feet).  Another friends cam at the top of our hill at 1500 feet looking west across Newfound Lake.  During the winter it is interesting to see the difference of active precipitation at the 3 elevations all within a couple of miles.  You are always free to use my Nest Cam on air.  www.bridgewaternhweather.com

Hi Hayley,

I just watched WMUR.  Jackie Thomas was on.  Other than to say tomorrow will be much cooler than today with the chance of a few scattered showers up north, no mention of anything out of the ordinary.  I would have hit the hazards much harder but hey,  I'm not a Met.

Have a good weekend.   Gene

I'm not sure it's their responsibility to warn about top of the mountain weather, the hikers should do that on their own and there should be warnings at the base.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'm not sure it's their responsibility to warn about top of the mountain weather, the hikers should do that on their own and there should be warnings at the base.

I likewise think personal responsibility goes a long way.  Mount Washington Observatory forecasts were very clear about the dangers.  NWS mentioned it too.

There are a lot of dumb people out there, or just oblivious is a better way to put it. Same thing when beach-goers drown despite a tropical storm off-shore and crazy rip currents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I likewise think personal responsibility goes a long way.  Mount Washington Observatory forecasts were very clear about the dangers.  NWS mentioned it too.

There are a lot of dumb people out there, or just oblivious is a better way to put it. Same thing when beach-goers drown despite a tropical storm off-shore and crazy rip currents.

I think you’re right but we also know that the BTV crew really focuses on the mountain weather here. The other thing is, unless it’s broadcast across all media, it’s like a needle in a haystack. 

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Our REC forecast was pretty damn close to the actual conditions, so that was good. But we really didn't do much more than some cursory mentions of bad weather above 2500 ft. We definitely could've hit it on our social feeds harder (more like MWObs). I was off, but I think I plan to use this as an example for everyone, especially the new people at the office, that we have a serious number of recreators every warm season and most of them have no clue about how cold it can get in the summer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Our REC forecast was pretty damn close to the actual conditions, so that was good. But we really didn't do much more than some cursory mentions of bad weather above 2500 ft. We definitely could've hit it on our social feeds harder (more like MWObs). I was off, but I think I plan to use this as an example for everyone, especially the new people at the office, that we have a serious number of recreators every warm season and most of them have no clue about how cold it can get in the summer.

I  didn't know if you were off or not but I sent a message to GRX through FB messanger at 735am last  Friday.  Take a look at what I wrote and what response I received back.  I urged them to think about putting out a special weather statement for the weekend hazard.  With cold conditions on the NH lakes people will be thinking of things to do.  They said they would not be issuing a weather statement but would let the public know through social media.  I can paste and clip the exchange if you would like to read it.  Im GR65 if you need to find it.

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I  didn't know if you were off or not but I sent a message to GRX through FB messanger at 735am last  Friday.  Take a look at what I wrote and what response I received back.  I urged them to think about putting out a special weather statement for the weekend hazard.  With cold conditions on the NH lakes people will be thinking of things to do.  They said they would not be issuing a weather statement but would let the public know through social media.  I can paste and clip the exchange if you would like to read it.  Im GR65 if you need to find it.

We were actually having a discussion about different ways to handle it this morning. This is a great example of how the hazard simplification paradigm will be a good thing for the NWS. Right now we cannot issue elevation based products like a winter weather advisory or special weather statement. BUT if we can transition to the HazSimp idea where only warnings and statements exist, we theoretically could issue a statement for just elevations above 2500 ft in a situation like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

We were actually having a discussion about different ways to handle it this morning. This is a great example of how the hazard simplification paradigm will be a good thing for the NWS. Right now we cannot issue elevation based products like a winter weather advisory or special weather statement. BUT if we can transition to the HazSimp idea where only warnings and statements exist, we theoretically could issue a statement for just elevations above 2500 ft in a situation like this.

Thanks for taking an interest in this.  In the winter NH has road signs along interstates warning of winter weather the next day, Winter Storm Watch etc.  Even someone at the NWS conveying to other agencies of a hazard.  If NH had those road signs on northbound Rt 93 Friday evening warning of hazardous weather over the weekend at elevation the word would have gotten out to many in the public that perhaps it would not be a good day for a high hike.

38 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks for taking an interest in this.  In the winter NH has road signs along interstates warning of winter weather the next day, Winter Storm Watch etc.  Even someone at the NWS conveying to other agencies of a hazard.  If NH had those road signs on northbound Rt 93 Friday evening warning of hazardous weather over the weekend at elevation the word would have gotten out to many in the public that perhaps it would not be a good day for a high hike.

I'm embedding at HSEM in September and it's definitely something I can raise with them. I'm sure we could come up with a climatology of rare enough to not be a nuisance and frequent enough to be a hazard. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I’ve found the sheer volume of summer tourists and hikers make it virtually impossible to fully get the message across… but it’s true, that’s not to say one shouldn’t try.  But folks take winter months in the mountains so much more seriously.

We see it on Mansfield all the time.  Say several thousand people will hike on a given weekend.  The forecast scares the vast majority off, but you could still have 300 people braving elements, thunderstorms, etc.  And one of them will get into trouble.

Stowe Mountain Rescue (Town’s municipal technical rescue team) is tops in VT along with Colchester Technical Rescue.  Both will respond to swift water, high mountain, cliffs, swimming holes, and all backcountry related injuries from as far away as the Adirondacks to NH depending on the nature of the call.

The number of 911 calls they get in warm season is exponentially higher than in the winter.  More people and people who are less prepared.  If you go out in the woods in the winter, generally you know what you are doing or you think about it more.  You go outside in the woods in the summer, it’s just called taking a walk, ha.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Stowe Mountain Rescue (Town’s municipal technical rescue team) is tops in VT along with Colchester Technical Rescue.  Both will respond to swift water, high mountain, cliffs, swimming holes, and all backcountry related injuries from as far away as the Adirondacks to NH depending on the nature of the call.

In spite of the unfortunate outcome over the weekend, it really highlights just how special these crews are.  It was a medal of valor worthy effort to save that guy, and I know there are probably dozens of stories like that.  Truly the cream of the crop, I take my hat off to em.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:30 AM, OceanStWx said:

Just happened to us today. Visitors heading up on the cog asking us if they can borrow jackets because they had no idea it could be this cold in June. But it's a challenge to get the word out; people rarely read all the info we send them

• Like 2

Over the years, I've  made a couple of stupid decisions relative to lack of gear, terrain choice and generally not appropriately planning for contingencies during the summer months in the presidentials and thankfully none of them have ended badly but the experience has definitely made me far more cautious especially as I've gotten older and my margin for error has shrunk. The issue over the weekend is that nobody should have been hiking alone given the weather; and frankly, I can't think of why you'd attempt a presidential traverse given the weather found just in the parking lot. Again, retrospective analysis is easy - I've been standing with a compass in my hand at the intersection of the AT and Lowe's Path just off the Adam's summit trying to confirm my route due to visibility of only 5-6' and totally disoriented. Sad and frustrating part of all this is that by any criteria, this past weekend was not a good time to be on the higher elevations of NNE and NNY state.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 11:58 AM, OceanStWx said:

I'm embedding at HSEM in September and it's definitely something I can raise with them. I'm sure we could come up with a climatology of rare enough to not be a nuisance and frequent enough to be a hazard. 

I get standards, but man the GOVT needs to learn to be more agile when you cannot "technically" maybe even illegaly? issue alerts for something.  I knew the threat this past weekend as a minor enthusiast.  My girlfriend was hiking and I said you know there's gonna be a ton of rain on the spine, its going to get into the 30's above 3000' and you need to be concerned about snow.  And she immediately said that's hypothermic weather and repacked.  She has her Wilderness First responder from Solo.  I trust her and always give her important weahter info.  When she came home she said it was not enough, she should have had more calories for the shivering she was doing, and a better opportunity for more dry things as she also had our dog as a sponge, who was wearing a pack with a microfiber towel to dry him off but the pack wasnt waterproof and the towel absorbed a ton of water that the dog carried for miles :)    Great learning for any experienced hiker.  This was very anomolous weather even for N VT. 

On 6/19/2022 at 9:22 PM, mreaves said:

I tend to record them so I can skip past and find the hiking rescues.  I dont know if VT fish and Game are the responders because I live near Stowe and we have Stowe Mtn Rescue and those guys are serious business.  But man those guys in NH Fish and Game are amazing for all the saves on Mt Washington and Monadnock.  I mean it's like some of those guys are stationed there the saves need are so often.  So proud of those guys and all the volunteers who help out!  

• Like 2

We are finally got a garden loving .55" shower last evening. Our lawn mowing crew was not impressed and scattered.  Fairly strong and impressive but no lightning with the line.   We have had no appreciable rain in a couple of weeks leading up to this.  Time lapse below.

I had to drive down to Concord today.  Gypsy Caterpillars are wiping some places almost bare along Rt 93.  I hate these things.  So far we have not had them in our area.

https://video.nest.com/clip/1774e325d9d94744a6fadb051647a00b.mp4