• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

It's been having an early-warm season type of vibe lately with the bright green vegetation.  Some days are more humid and buggy, some are crisp and breezy.  A drier day.

There's been some awesome, crisp afternoons.  Today was low RH, low dew point, warm (sun is strong this time of year), classic chamber of commerce stuff.  Travel Guide vibes.

309878101_June4screenshot.thumb.jpg.0d84a9b249323881238134dad68447ca.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's been having an early-warm season type of vibe lately with the bright green vegetation.  Some days are more humid and buggy, some are crisp and breezy.  A drier day.

There's been some awesome, crisp afternoons.  Today was low RH, low dew point, warm (sun is strong this time of year), classic chamber of commerce stuff.  Travel Guide vibes.

309878101_June4screenshot.thumb.jpg.0d84a9b249323881238134dad68447ca.jpg

for some reason I don’t think the travel guide has pics of rotting snow piles 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

for some reason I don’t think the travel guide has pics of rotting snow piles 

The irony is it should... those things are like magnets to tourists and locals alike.

There are still a couple good piles along the Toll Road from when it was plowed off by the snowcats at the end of the season.  Found a dozen people on one the other day with 7 cars stopped alongside.  Like they found the last Infinity Stone. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The irony is it should... those things are like magnets to tourists and locals alike.

There are still a couple good piles along the Toll Road from when it was plowed off by the snowcats at the end of the season.  Found a dozen people on one the other day with 7 cars stopped alongside.  Like they found the last Infinity Stone. 

HA I can totally relate. we drove through/over the Rockies one time in July when I was a kid. of course we stopped on the side of the road to roll in the snow

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Black flies exploded today at they were biting on the mountain.  Very little wind, maybe they’ve been around but the past two days had next to none… today I felt like I was their deep fried Turkey thigh at a rural county fair.  Just getting devoured.

Unfortunately, here too 

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Black flies exploded today at they were biting on the mountain.  Very little wind, maybe they’ve been around but the past two days had next to none… today I felt like I was their deep fried Turkey thigh at a rural county fair.  Just getting devoured.

Takes the enjoyment level of being outside from 8-10 to 0 fast 

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

They're past peak here though the skeeter population remains high and deer flies are ready to take over the day shift.  Huge amount of flowers on the white pines, so that pollen is ready to explode.  Picked up a tick during today's fishing at North Pond, obviously not while ON the water. :rolleyes:   Bit of a mayfly hatch on the pond, lots of swirls as smaller fish took advantage.  Caught a 27.5" pike (prob 5.5 lb) but the real trophy was a 9.5" pumpkinseed sunfish.  I've fished since I was 6 y.o. (that's a lot of years!) and that's the biggest sunny I've ever caught, by a full inch.

• Like 1

We are firmly on to Deer Fly season, they have been out for a little while now. Still some lingering black flies though too.  I only ever remember worrying about mosquitoes growing up in SEPA.  It really is ridiculous up here with the bugs...lol.

Serious rain shield in effect here..no rain for 15 days and then only .19" last night. 

18 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

We are firmly on to Deer Fly season, they have been out for a little while now. Still some lingering black flies though too.  I only ever remember worrying about mosquitoes growing up in SEPA.  It really is ridiculous up here with the bugs...lol.

Serious rain shield in effect here..no rain for 15 days and then only .19" last night. 

It's weird as I rarely have any issue with deer flies up here.  Rarely run into them out and about.  Black flies can linger for a long time though.

When I go visit in the woods of NE CT the deer and horse flies are absolutely unrelenting.  Like to the point you can't even walk the dog.  Those sucks are the size of pennies.  None of that up here that I ever see.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's weird as I rarely have any issue with deer flies up here.  Rarely run into them out and about.  Black flies can linger for a long time though.

When I go visit in the woods of NE CT the deer and horse flies are absolutely unrelenting.  Like to the point you can't even walk the dog.  Those sucks are the size of pennies.  None of that up here that I ever see.

What we called horse flies in NNJ were jet black, maybe with a hint of blue, and over an inch long.  They would occasionally dive bomb the local beach (never saw them in the woods).  I never got bitten by one, perhaps because I could hold my breath - under water - longer than most. 
Up here, the brown penny-size ones look fierce, but it's the smaller black deer flies that I most despise.  In the north woods we'd have dozens circling us as we walked, and one cannot outrun them - I've had squadrons pace my vehicle at 20 mph.  (Or as a co-worker said as a couple dozen flew alongside our moving truck, "Doesn't that make you eager to get out into the woods?")  Confusing things up north were the "sweat-lickers", critters slightly smaller than a housefly that would arrive in their hundreds.  They never bit, but with hordes of dark insects swarming, we couldn't know which ones were carrying knives.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

What we called horse flies in NNJ were jet black, maybe with a hint of blue, and over an inch long.  They would occasionally dive bomb the local beach (never saw them in the woods).  I never got bitten by one, perhaps because I could hold my breath - under water - longer than most. 
Up here, the brown penny-size ones look fierce, but it's the smaller black deer flies that I most despise.  In the north woods we'd have dozens circling us as we walked, and one cannot outrun them - I've had squadrons pace my vehicle at 20 mph.  (Or as a co-worker said as a couple dozen flew alongside our moving truck, "Doesn't that make you eager to get out into the woods?")  Confusing things up north were the "sweat-lickers", critters slightly smaller than a housefly that would arrive in their hundreds.  They never bit, but with hordes of dark insects swarming, we couldn't know which ones were carrying knives.

I've always thought of horse flies as the big black flies that are like flying acorns and assault us on the lake/pond.  They are massive suckers when out floating on a raft or tube like to land and will bite.  Much slower movers than deer flies so if you see them, you can usually get them.  Make like a cracking noise when someone slaps them though.

The deer flies, V-shape smaller things that also bite but are largely just annoying as all hell.  Can get multiple of them buzzing around you.  Will bite through a shirt too.  Atrocious creatures.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I've always thought of horse flies as the big black flies that are like flying acorns and assault us on the lake/pond.  They are massive suckers when out floating on a raft or tube like to land and will bite.  Much slower movers than deer flies so if you see them, you can usually get them.  Make like a cracking noise when someone slaps them though.

The deer flies, V-shape smaller things that also bite but are largely just annoying as all hell.  Can get multiple of them buzzing around you.  Will bite through a shirt too.  Atrocious creatures.

I think those big black horse flies would carve out a fair size steak if one let them bite. 
Mosquitos are dainty, sipping thru a straw.  Black flies scratch out a wound and lick up the blood.  Once in the woods when I tripped and cut the palm of my outthrust fall-breaking hand, the black flies continuously tried landing on the resulting buffet table.  Deerfly bites feel like they've bitten off a piece of flesh; also, when I've successfully smacked one on my head, all its friends come to the funeral, and they all expect a meal.  When there's several dozen circling and occasionally bumping into face/hair/arms, it's easy to miss the ones that land successfully.  (Until it's too late)
Some of life's NNE pleasures.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump up this thread..  I posted this on the June thread too...

Hum,  this cold air means business in NNE.  I know the NAM is the NAM but it came in really cold for Sunday night.  If NNE could clear out in time and go calm the temperatures could really bottom out.

The GFS and Euro are in the upper 30's but take a look at the NAM temps.

Frost advisory for the north country?  Alex better cover up those tomatoes.

NAM.jpg

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just to bump up this thread..  I posted this on the June thread too...

Hum,  this cold air means business in NNE.  I know the NAM is the NAM but it came in really cold for Sunday night.  If NNE could clear out in time and go calm the temperatures could really bottom out.

The GFS and Euro are in the upper 30's but take a look at the NAM temps.

Frost advisory for the north country?  Alex better cover up those tomatoes.

NAM.jpg

That's bonkers.  Almost unbelievable as even model guidance.

It's beginning to look like the summer of 92 if I were to pick an analog.  Many nights in the 40's.  That was following the eruption of Pinatubo.  I wonder if this has anything to do with Tongas explosion.  The explosion was nuts but I don't think it spewed anywhere near the same amount of ash into the global atmosphere so I doubt it.  Just speculation.  But man just silly weather next 2 days.  Btv afd mentions possible snow on the peaks.

4 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

It's beginning to look like the summer of 92 if I were to pick an analog.  Many nights in the 40's.  That was following the eruption of Pinatubo.  I wonder if this has anything to do with Tongas explosion.  The explosion was nuts but I don't think it spewed anywhere near the same amount of ash into the global atmosphere so I doubt it.  Just speculation.  But man just silly weather next 2 days.  Btv afd mentions possible snow on the peaks.

Record low for kmvl for this date is 43,   Im at 47 now. 

Will we break record low for High temp? Im not sure Im reading this data correctly.  It says record low high is 62 which I really cant wrap my head around it's seems impossibly high and surely we have been colder than that on June 18th before.  Anyway we are only expected to go to 52 which is highly anomolous but record?  That 62 seems so high.  If it's right we are smashing it.  I just looked at Island Pond it's record low min was 59.  I just dont get it but it so I checked BTV and it's 56, probably better records from btv vs an asos.  Sure cold air coming off the lake maybe.  None of it makes sense.

image.png.169a8759d04159d17cb90b37dd39f894.png

image.png.2942561c05bf808ce401ec751e3fb886.png

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KVTWATER64  My new weather station 

10 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

How was the following winter? :) 

It's 145pm on Saturday.  My temperature has been in the low 50's all day.  Up to 54.  It seems that most NNE stations are a little warmer than forecasted.  I saw something from the NWS at Gray that record low high day minimums were in the mid 50's.  Concord is at 59F, Portland 63 and Augusta 61.  

We had a 10 minute drizzle shower this morning.  I'm still hoping for a couple of showers over the next day or so to dampen down the pollen.

As usual my manmade pond is getting very low and will probably go dry in the next week.  That is ahead of schedule.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's 145pm on Saturday.  My temperature has been in the low 50's all day.  Up to 54.  It seems that most NNE stations are a little warmer than forecasted.  I saw something from the NWS at Gray that record low high day minimums were in the mid 50's.  Concord is at 59F, Portland 63 and Augusta 61.  

We had a 10 minute drizzle shower this morning.  I'm still hoping for a couple of showers over the next day or so to dampen down the pollen.

As usual my manmade pond is getting very low and will probably go dry in the next week.  That is ahead of schedule.

What a difference a notch can make. It’s been wet here. Maybe it’s normal but it seems wet; 3” since the beginning of the month. It seems that days without rain are rare. Today gets the award though… 40s, sheet drizzle and windy. 0.23” of rain so far since midnight 

5 minutes ago, alex said:

What a difference a notch can make. It’s been wet here. Maybe it’s normal but it seems wet; 3” since the beginning of the month. It seems that days without rain are rare. Today gets the award though… 40s, sheet drizzle and windy. 0.23” of rain so far since midnight 

Alex, that is the worst.  I saw they shortened the Mt Washington Road Race to just the 1/2 point.  Makes sense since the summit has been around 30F with winds gusting over hurricane force and driving freezing drizzle.  Hope all the day hikers in the Whites prepared.  The summits are a far distant cry from the partly sunny skies down in Concord where it is 63F.

Where was this last winter.

The mountain has been getting wrecked.  Almost 1.25” water on the day now at 1500ft.  This would be a solid 1-2 footer at the Picnic tables if it were just a few degrees Celsius colder at H85.  The Spine follows the county border north/south of I-89… been lit up all day.

EF3A73E8-4BFB-451D-BAAC-2BD94200D765.gif.08a554674f49444a4365a1d1e5040451.gif