• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

0.28" here in the last 3 days, 0.73" for the month.  Maybe the BN precip will mean the next generation of skeeters will be less abundant.  The current batch is as bad as we've had it here. 

Still quite windy here.  Lost power for 1.5 hr yesterday afternoon; a tree dumped onto power lines in Farmington, providentially a bit in front of 2 Lucas Tree bucket trucks which were doing line maintenance for CMP.  We were in the process of making Norwegian waffles to go with our gjetost (aka brunost, "brown cheese") and lingonberry jam, and the genny kept us cooking.

57 minutes ago, tamarack said:

0.28" here in the last 3 days, 0.73" for the month.  Maybe the BN precip will mean the next generation of skeeters will be less abundant.  The current batch is as bad as we've had it here. 

Still quite windy here.  Lost power for 1.5 hr yesterday afternoon; a tree dumped onto power lines in Farmington, providentially a bit in front of 2 Lucas Tree bucket trucks which were doing line maintenance for CMP.  We were in the process of making Norwegian waffles to go with our gjetost (aka brunost, "brown cheese") and lingonberry jam, and the genny kept us cooking.

I'm not sure if I knew you were Norwegian or not.  My grandparents were born over there and as such, growing up my family would never, ever go without having brown goat cheese in the fridge. 

50 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The phrase "brown goat cheese" unsettles me to the point of having to push my laptop back slightly on the table. 

Have you tried gamelost, means "old cheese" and has an evil green interior covered by dark brown crust.   I was offered some when visiting my then fiancée's maternal grandfather, and considered it a rite-of-passage test.  (Our 51st anniversary is next month. :D)  My opinion:  It doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm not sure if I knew you were Norwegian or not.  My grandparents were born over there and as such, growing up my family would never, ever go without having brown goat cheese in the fridge. 

I'm Northern European mix, probably mostly English as my maternal grandfather was born in Wales and his wife's family reached our shores before the Revolution, but there's probably some German and Scandinavian in there as well.  My wife's grandparents were all born in Norway, places listed alphabetically:  Bergen, Drammen, Oslo, Trondheim.  We visited the big three on our Norway/Iceland trip in 2017, and Drammen isn't too far from Oslo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Have you tried gamelost, means "old cheese" and has an evil green interior covered by dark brown crust.   I was offered some when visiting my then fiancée's maternal grandfather, and considered it a rite-of-passage test.  (Our 51st anniversary is next month. :D)  My opinion:  It doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells.

Just googled some pictures. It looks so innocent on the outside, almost cake-like. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I know you asked Winni but I'm not sure if I've tried that.  It's not ringing a bell.  Our other cheese that we always had around was nøkkelost.  Christmas morning was always nøkkelost and gjetost (brown goat cheese for Winni) on a warm rye bread or pumpernickel... with a side of smoked salmon.

I've only been over to Norway once, but man the food is right up my ally.... cheese/dairy, fish, bread.  Hearty but basic stuff that gets you through a long cold winter.

Fiskeboller is always a favorite in my family... basically "meatballs" but the fish version.  Fish balls.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I know you asked Winni but I'm not sure if I've tried that.  It's not ringing a bell.  Our other cheese that we always had around was nøkkelost.  Christmas morning was always nøkkelost and gjetost (brown goat cheese for Winni) on a warm rye bread or pumpernickel... with a side of smoked salmon.

I've only been over to Norway once, but man the food is right up my ally.... cheese/dairy, fish, bread.  Hearty but basic stuff that gets you through a long cold winter.

Fiskeboller is always a favorite in my family... basically "meatballs" but the fish version.  Fish balls.

If you go back and get to Bergen, the historic fish market is wonderful, though mobbed when we were there.  One stand had samples of reindeer and whale meat, both tasty, and we all had some sort of fish for lunch.  Mine was "fish on a stick", 4 golf-ball-sized pieces, salmon and white fish, about 3/4 cooked on the griddle but great anyway - was primed for the undercooked part by our visit to son/DIL in Japan the year before. :D

Clouds held off last night, so we had 30° and light frost this morning.  Still sunny here.  Median date for last frost is May 23, so the 19th is no surprise.

• Like 1

It’s been pretty wet up here after that 10 day dry and hot stretch that was like May 3-13. Another 0.4” this afternoon. Got the majority of flowers and veggies in the ground after that. Could have done it two weeks ago in hindsight but always wary of a late frost. 

2 hours ago, timp said:

It’s been pretty wet up here after that 10 day dry and hot stretch that was like May 3-13. Another 0.4” this afternoon. Got the majority of flowers and veggies in the ground after that. Could have done it two weeks ago in hindsight but always wary of a late frost. 

Had about the same this afternoon in the Stratus.  Garden has been well fed.  I think I'm 4.5+ inches on the month.  It's been even higher up north of here.

May28_middayrainfall.thumb.jpg.1c443d092399e239061fdd98f320daa2.jpg

Car said 52F arriving home.  East and west slopes of the Spine is low to mid 50s.  It feels fallish.

May28_10pm.thumb.jpg.52e9044c35f97ed7592b097200790418.jpg

33 minutes ago, alex said:

I love skiing but that just has no appeal whatsoever to me 

It’s the novelty and party atmosphere.  Definitely not for everyone.  I heard this weekend was bonkers, the lift line looked pretty solid on Sunday.  Selling beers and burgers right off the snow, and people had some real elaborate tailgating going on.

They’ll be open with some walking required next weekend too.  There’s certainly a big difference between folks who show up for that vs casual skiers, ha.  Same in October for 500 feet of chopped ice cubes.

PF nailed it, it's a party. I've been there in early May when there are a few more options open and when your legs are in peak skiing shape and you just crush bumps all day but I think for most folks now, it's casually roll-in, take a some runs, hang with friends, and tailgate. Nice to see them get to June too.

Hiked Franconia Ridge yesterday morning. The attendants in the Falling Water/Bridal Path parking lot said Saturday and Sunday were crazy busy. Lake water definitely jumped a 3-4 degrees between Friday and yesterday as well. I floated around for an extended length of time yesterday.

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

Man I love nights like this. Lingering sunlight, comfortable temps. These are my favorite evenings. Now, if the ****ing black flies would lay off, it would be perfect. 

On the flip side, we have today.  49° and rain.  Happy met summer!