• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 NNE Warm Season Thread

PhineasC

Still some cold air lurking and perhaps snow chances, but the mud is here in force, which means it's time for the NNE warm season thread.

Mountain peaks coated in white and old Subarus stuck in rutted mud holes means Spring is here.

Get in here for NNE warmth talk, but don't plant those veggies just yet.

Let's hope for seasonable warmth, dry, and some decent thunderstorm action. Always fun to see those roll in over the mountains. Here's to good nights on the deck with friends enjoying a beer and the fire pit with a slight chill in the air. NNE summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Happy Birthday @mreaves!  Hope it was a good one.  Mild day, afternoon/evening rounds of rain here.  57F for the high at the nearest PWS... off a low of 31F and frozen early AM.  Felt very comfortable with a just a rain shell or hoodie this afternoon.

Thank you. Mud season is a tough time for a birthday. No golf yet and snowmobiling is done. I generally don’t take the day off. Save it for better weather. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We aren't holding our breath.

But a mid-April blue bomb is fairly common for my backyard so it wouldn't be a shocker.

I am in spring mode so I really couldn't care less at this point.

The real question is when do you go back to Maryland?  It will probably snow a foot the day after that, ha.

I'm with you though.  I'll enjoy snow to ski on while there's still some base left but if I had the choice (none of us do lol) I'd go 70F with low dews and red flag fire warnings this time of year.

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Already back. Just opened the pool today. LOL

Mud, sticks, and 40s is all that is going on up north right now.

Ha dammit, it didn't snow a foot today.  Maybe you aren't the force we joke about :lol:.

It has been a fairly impressive stretch without true widespread plowable snowfall from 1,500ft and below.  Especially over there and into Maine where CAD and spring coastal storms are more likely.  Even here, zero synoptic snow in what has been weeks, even at higher inhabited elevations.  This winter has had some very long stretches without significant or even plowable snowfall.

Some years 1,500ft still has very a healthy snowpack in mid-April.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha dammit, it didn't snow a foot today.  Maybe you aren't the force we joke about :lol:.

It has been a fairly impressive stretch without true widespread plowable snowfall from 1,500ft and below.  Especially over there and into Maine where CAD and spring coastal storms are more likely.  Even here, zero synoptic snow in what has been weeks, even at higher inhabited elevations.  This winter has had some very long stretches without significant or even plowable snowfall.

Some years 1,500ft still has very a healthy snowpack in mid-April.

Someone showed me some pics from Randolph April 2019 and the pack was still deep. Hopefully one of those kinds of winters shows up soon. It was a lousy winter for snowfall and really not good for pack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s one if those deals where maybe the east slopes above 1500’ could get snow to start, but toss the clowns.

Looking at 925mb temps I’d wager it’s a 1500-2000ft and higher event.  I post the clowns but with it in mind that the actual surface stations aren’t seeing that but the ski areas might.

• 2 weeks later...

RT 108 through Smugglers Notch (Notch Road, Mountain Road, RT 108, many names) opened today for the season, connecting Jeffersonville with Stowe.  It connects the east and west slopes without having to go to Waterbury and I-89... or north to Johnson for RT 15.  Good warm season marker is that opening.

View of the Notch and passageway through the Spine from this afternoon.  Mild day despite the clouds, natural snow trail Starr vs snowmaking runs Centerline to North Slope.

Snow is dirty with melt debris, dust, dirt, tree boughs, etc.

279099281_10104781850011110_286876819038

279359571_10104781849961210_666040194494

279098468_10104781849946240_250441621883

On 4/14/2022 at 9:38 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Worst chairlifts in modern New England history 

Not New England and 51 years ago, but I'd nominate the Little Whiteface chairlift for that title.  The summit lift might've been at least as terrible, but it wasn't running when we visited during our honeymoon in June 1971.  The chairs on the L.W. lift had no footrest and the lap bars were ridiculously small - 10" or less.  The ride finished with a single catenary of about 2000' - per Google Earth - that seemed to rise straight up (probably closer to 60°) at the end, with a counterweight chunk of concrete nearly as big as our house.  That span was way above ground, 50' and higher, with a not-trail below - trees just cut and jackstrawed, nice place to land if one fell off the chair.  Can't imagine a rescue from there if the lift broke down.

36 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not New England and 51 years ago, but I'd nominate the Little Whiteface chairlift for that title.  The summit lift might've been at least as terrible, but it wasn't running when we visited during our honeymoon in June 1971.  The chairs on the L.W. lift had no footrest and the lap bars were ridiculously small - 10" or less.  The ride finished with a single catenary of about 2000' - per Google Earth - that seemed to rise straight up (probably closer to 60°) at the end, with a counterweight chunk of concrete nearly as big as our house.  That span was way above ground, 50' and higher, with a not-trail below - trees just cut and jackstrawed, nice place to land if one fell off the chair.  Can't imagine a rescue from there if the lift broke down.

right on with that one. Could look right down to Route 86, or jump

• Haha 1